IF THIS BENJAMIN COULD TALK!! AWESOME FIND!! VERY LARGE SILVER!!!

muddpuppy

Jun 20, 2011
Central Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Early this year, my brother found this award from: The Franklin Institute of the State of Pennsylvania, 1824 - Obverse: Reward of Skill and Ingenuity Hoopes and Townsend Philadelphia PA For Nuts, Bolts and Washers 1853. This was recovered from his yard in SW Franklin County Ohio.

History of the Franklin Institute of the State of Pennsylvania and the Reward for Skill and Ingenuity.

On February 5, 1824, Samuel Vaughn Merrick and William H. Keating founded The Franklin Institute of the State of Pennsylvania for the Promotion of the Mechanic Arts.

The Franklin Institute Awards Program was launched in 1824 when the Institute began giving awards and premiums for superior products and inventions at the annual American Manufacturer's Exhibition. These exhibitions continued for the next 50 years.

In 1824 Christian Gobrecht prepared dies for the Franklin Institute of the State of Pennsylvania. It is signed GOBRECHT F. below the bust of Franklin.

Christian Gobrecht was the third person to occupy the post of chief engraver at the Philadelphia Mint. He is most famous for his silver dollar design of 1836, featuring the Liberty Seated which would soon become a staple in American numismatic history.

History of the Hoopes and Townsend Company - While his business operations began by 1849 in Wilmington, Delaware, Hoopes & Townsend (his early partner) moved to Philadelphia in July of 1852 to enlarge the manufacturing capacities of nuts, bolts, rivets, wood-screws, washers, chain-links, Etc.

Documentation received from THE FRANKLIN INSTITUTE

The Franklin Institute holds a collection of papers (about four linear feet) from the American Manufacturers’ Exhibitions, from 1824 through 1874. Within the document boxes of the AMEs, we have found the following:
The Report of the Twenty-sixth Exhibition, 1858, states that in the category of Iron and Steel:
“No. 1808 Bolts, Nuts, Washers, Tank Rivets, Chain Links, &c. Hoopes & Townsend, Philadelphia. Worthy of special notice for great skill in manufacturing every good quality of material, in an article so important to machinists and mechanics. A First Class Premium.”
A note from the 1853 American Manufacturers’ Exhibition states:
“118. A large lot of Bolts, Nuts, and Washers by Hoopes and Townsend, Philadelphia. This is a very important article for machinists. The quality of the iron is good, and the work throughout is well executed—we consider them superior to any that has ever been exhibited in Philadelphia. and worthy of a 1st premium.”
The first-class premium means that Hoopes and Townsend received silver medals for each year that they entered their products into the exhibitions. In total, according to our card file, Hoopes and Townsend entered their products into the 1853 (bolts, nuts, & washers), 1858 (bolts, nuts, etc.), and 1874 (bolts, washers, & woodscrews), and received silver medals each time. I hope this gives you a little more information behind the medal that you and your brother found in Ohio!
Warm regards and happy hunting,
Susannah

SUSANNAH J. CARROLL
Curatorial Coordinator

THE FRANKLIN INSTITUTE
222 NORTH 20TH STREET
PHILADELPHIA, PA 19103

Attachments

• P1020289.jpeg
    P1020289.jpeg
    75.8 KB · Views: 280
  • P1020290.jpeg
    P1020290.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 264
  • P1020291.jpeg
    P1020291.jpeg
    73 KB · Views: 264
  • P1020298.jpeg
    P1020298.jpeg
    36.5 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_20130803_195600_839.jpg
    IMG_20130803_195600_839.jpg
    505.9 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Upvote 19

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got to be a banner find. You never ever see an award like this found. Congrats

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful piece and neat history. Great post!!! :occasion14:
-MM-

dfx-kevin

Mar 15, 2013
Southwest mississippi
Detector(s) used
whites dfx and Tesoro original silver saber
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Courthouse records may be the key in finding the recipient if the house or property is that old if not it could've just been inherited in which kids may have dug into dad or moms collection and played with it, losing it-- just a guess

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now thats AWESOME!!!!............HH

gardengoddess

Sep 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Benjamin Franklin Institute Award Of Excellence and Ingenuity, which was given to J. K. Gamble and Bros. for Morocco and Grain Leather in 1850. J. K. Gamble was my Great Grandfather. I understand these medals are very limited production. Does anyone know of the value of such medals? It does have one small flat place on the edge, which does not damage the integrity of the design of the piece. Thanks for your input.

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be hard to put a value on it, with it being made in very low numbers. If the demand is very high it could be worth a pretty penny for sure. Maybe someone will chime in here with some expertise on it Garden.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MUDSLINGER

Apr 4, 2014
Bourbon IN.
Detector(s) used
ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a museum quality find. history is there inches below our feet and it is rare. my banner vote is going in.

MUDSLINGER

Apr 4, 2014
Bourbon IN.
Detector(s) used
ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow i voted banner guess i should pay attention to date of thread. but still is great find. my bad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread