UPS brought it today!

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Yippee! I feel like a kid on Christmas morning! I got my Fisher CZ7 today. I went and picked up a bunch of batteries and went out the front door (operator's manual..."what's that?"). I found 5 zinc pennies, 4 copper pennies, 1 clad quarter, 2 nails, one screw, a pull tab and some assorted junk in an hour or so. In that period of time, I learned a volume about the machine. The nails sounded off like coins, and showed coins on the ID, but I found out that when you pay attention, they really don't act like coins. And they don't pinpoint like them either. I think I can avoid the majority of them.

The notch feature works really well on this thing...every now and then it might let a beep through, but it's obious that the machine is trying to notch it out. I can detect on all metal mode, pinpoint an object, and then hit the discriminate button and it will sound over the target if it's not notched out, or it won't if it is. When I detected in the yard, I had everything notched out except all coins.

I just ate supper and read the manual, now I'm going back out until my fingers freeze (again). Oh...the backlit display is awesome for night hunting! It's like the Indiglo light on digital watches. Cool.

Ok, I'm off to play with my toy again! :D :D

Upvote 0

varmint

Jan 23, 2005
Lawrenceville, GA
Congratulations, you'll have a ball with it I'm sure.

Sounds like the price was right too, so that always helps. I don't know why, but I've always had an adversion to even slightly used equipment. Translation: I've missed out on many opportunities to save money!

Again, have a great time with it, and remember, the operator who is familiar with his or her machine is the one that gets the goodies!

HH!

DAS

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Good luck and hit it hard!! I cant get out do to weather so post all you find. I'm freakin out in NY, when the hell is winter gonna end?!!

C

czman

You got a good machine....learn what it is saying to you and use low disc...HH...Don

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Remember to do some of the pinpointing/target separation checks I e-mailed you about. You'll probably end up digging more iron this way, because you will know what it's masking. Have fun.

BRD

Mar 26, 2004
Congratulations on your CZ-7.
I have a CZ-6 that I've had since 1992 and it is a great machine. Keep us posted on your finds.
BRD

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
Cheese,

Congrats on the new machine, I have a CZ 7A that I need to send back for repair but it has been one of my favorite machines especially with the 5" coil. Keep us informed of your success
hh
dave-enc

OP
OP
cheese

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Just came back in. Found 2 beer cans :-[, a nickel, dime, and 4 or 5 pennies. I spent a little time trying to dig targets that I didn't know what to make of them. I had a somewhat good signal on one, but after I dug the hole it was gone. I switched to all metal and it sounded off again, but then when I switched back to discrim, it was gone, so I covered the hole back up.

Lowbatts...You bet. I plan on doing that test. I want to become as familiar as I can with this machine.

Varmint...I often get used items, especially big-ticket items. Sometimes buying used gives me the opportunity to get something that I wouldn't otherwise have. (like this detector). I am a stickler for quality, but the quality stuff is the most expensive. So, I look for used and sometimes pay more for a good used piece of equipment than I could pay for a brand new generic or poor quality piece, but I hate junk.

I really haven't found anything worth posting pics of, BUT....tomorrow I am going to a site where a log cabin once stood. (I helped tear it down). The original outhouse is still standing. Guess where I'll be swinging the CZ? You know where peoples pockets are when they're sitting in an outhouse! I'll probably check around the old cabin site too if I have the time. If I find anything worthwhile I'll post the pics.

'Till then...

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Good choice. Can't go wrong with a CZ. Sure is funny -I don't care how old you are when that UPS guy knocks on your door with your new detector- It is like Christmas. Waiting for the day when that great day arrives. Opening up that box and seeing that bright new toy. I seen posts where guys said "No brown truck today"- and expressed it was a sad day.

George

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the feeling as I am patiently or impatiently waiting now! JIM

Kent in AL

Mar 21, 2003
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Fisher CZ-6a, ID Edge
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You've got the right idea about paying attention to how a signal sounds when you pinpoint. A nail or other odd shaped piece of trash will pinpoint "long" - i.e. when x-ing the target the sound will last longer one direction than the other. When pinpointing a coin it will have that "round sound". The sound will indicate the target is the same length in both directions.

Kent

OP
OP
cheese

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
One other thing I've noticed about pinpointing...you can push pinpoint and try to pinpoint the target, but if it's close to the surface it won't pinpoint to a very small spot. You can release pinpoint, get closer to the target, and push it again and it will be much more sensitive....pinpointing it exactly.

I went to the cabin site, which I was SURE I would be allowed to detect on, but to my surprise, the guy didn't give me permission. (I had to go there anyway to pick up some equipment we still had over there). He said his wife mentioned something about getting an MD and using it around the site and he said he would have to get back with me as to whether or not I could hunt there. Oh well.

I am going to another site I already have permission on tomorrow. It is an old home site. I have no idea how old it might be, but it has been gone for decades and according to anyone who can remember, it was a very old place when it was standing. All that's left that I know of is the old well. It is a few hundred yards from a steel bridge that was floated in on the river during the civil war to evacuate war prisoners from east Georgia around the time Savanna was being targeted by the union. It's on the same road (used to be a buggy road, maybe an indian trail before that, I don't know).

Will let you know if I find anything.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread