My hands are still shaking!!

Clad the Impaler

Jan 11, 2010
Hi everyone. Decided to try a new spot today, despite the threat of rain. Wasn't even there an hour, when I got a high tone on the E-Trac w/ funky numbers. Almost didn't dig it, as it was shallow (3 inches) and only about 8 or 9 feet from the street. Boy am I glad I decided to dig!! The first coin out of the hole was the walker. MY FIRST!! Pinpointer kept going off, and I kept pulling coin after coin out of the hole.

At first, I thought I had stumbled upon a cache, but the lack of any container (jar, coin purse) and shallow depth (none of the coins were deeper than 3 inches), led me to conclude this was a BIG pocket spill (my biggest yet). I dug an amazing spill back in 2011 (2 Barber dimes, 1 V nickel, and 3 wheats; nothing newer than 1917), and, until today, thought nothing could top that. BOY WAS I WRONG!!

Ended up pulling 9 (NINE!!) coins out of the hole, 7 OF WHICH WERE SILVER!!!

The spill: '20 walker, 2 SLQs ('25 and a no dater), '36 Washington, 2 mercs ('29, '36), '16 Barber dime, '26 buff (date is very faint; not pictured), '13 wheatie (very worn; also not pictured). Nothing newer than 1936!!

Based on the condition of the 1936 coins, I believe the spill is from '37 or '38. Anyone know if $1.61 was a lot of cash to lose back then?? This is by far my biggest spill ever found.

I also found a plated sterling ring and 7 wheats (includes the '13 from the spill). Clad totaled $2.10.

Pics of the spill loot are below. I'm now at 77 silver coins for the year. Enjoy!!

Thank goodness I'm off work tomorrow, you bet I'm going back @ first light!!

Attachments

• Picture 266.jpg
    Picture 266.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 120
  • Picture 267.jpg
    Picture 267.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 128
  • Picture 268.jpg
    Picture 268.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 133
  • Picture 269.jpg
    Picture 269.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 129
  • Picture 270.jpg
    Picture 270.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 126
  • Picture 271.jpg
    Picture 271.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 118
  • Picture 272.jpg
    Picture 272.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 120
  • Picture 273.jpg
    Picture 273.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 126
Upvote 16

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds Clad! Congratulations on all that silver and jewelry !!!

Last edited:

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:icon_thumright:

Way to go.Awesome finds.Congrats.Looking good.HH.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer finds for sure. That is the kind of pocket spill we all dream of finding. Big congrats on an awesome dig.
ZDD

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats and it will be hard to top an epic spill like that. :thumbsup:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Only thing that would have made it better is a Morgan! Congrats on an incredible find and hope it produces more for you.

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Definitely some nice finds! Congratulations. Are you by chance finding these on a known battlefield where Americans fought or do you think they were spilled randomly?

OP
OP
C

Clad the Impaler

Jan 11, 2010
Definitely some nice finds! Congratulations. Are you by chance finding these on a known battlefield where Americans fought or do you think they were spilled randomly?

No battlefields in my area, lol. Was found in a park near the base of a small tree. Tree was nowhere near big enough to date to the spill years; it was 20-30 years old @ the most.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Clad the Impaler

Jan 11, 2010
Only thing that would have made it better is a Morgan! Congrats on an incredible find and hope it produces more for you.

Thanks Old Dude. Still waiting for my first Morgan. I'm stoked that today I got to cross another coin off my list (the walker is my first ever found). I also found my first seated quarter about a month ago. Still need both types of 3 cent pieces, a two center, a flying eagle, a Franklin half, a Morgan, a 20 cent piece, and a half dime, among other things. Would love a bust coin or two, but my area isn't old enough, lol.

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT finds man! Congrats!

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Anyone know if $1.61 was a lot of cash to lose back then?? This is by far my biggest spill ever found.

Hey Clad,

A notable spill, sir, especially then.

"... If they were able to find a job, which was practically impossible, they would not have earned enough to support their families. For example, the net earning for an agricultural migratory worker averaged $110 in 1933 and $124 in 1934. These farmers were some of the hardest hit groups during the depression..." Life During the Great Depression

depressioncamp1.jpg

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
You asked, "Anyone know if $1.61 was a lot of cash to lose back then??" That was the depression, and a lot of people were out of work. I was born in 1937, and at that time my father worked for a creamery, delivering milk 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, for a pay check of $12 a week. Yup, he got a dollar a day. They rented a furnished house, and $15 a month rent sticks in my mind. They had no car. We didn't go to war until the end of 1941, but the powers that be knew there was a war coming, and an army camp was built starting in 39 or 40, and the extra influx of soldiers and their families caused the town to hire more police. Dad got hired as a cop, and talk about a raise in pay. He went from 12 hours and 7 days to 8 hours and 6 days, and the pay was $5.00 a day. So yes, the person that lost that money truly missed it. In 37 that was more than a days pay for my father, so for a lot of people that would be like loosing more than a hundred bucks today. I don't remember anything from that time, but from the way they talked after I could remember it, they thought of themselves as average middle income, not poor. Nobody had a lot of money, they would walk to the tennis court and play tennis, or have friends over for a waffle party, and if they plugged in more than two waffle irons, they blew the fuse, so that was solved by putting a penny behind the fuse. Hey, we all lived through it. I can remember my father as a police officer during the war. He was a motorcycle cop by then, and making enough money to buy a $6,000 house. I have no idea what the payments were on that house, but the lot was large enough that we had a victory garden and raised rabbits and chickens, and when Dad died, Mom made a huge profit on the house.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread