Native American spear points

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I acquired these in a trade a few years back and today was cleaning out a closet and found found them again. I don't know much about Native American artifacts. I have walked plowed fields in the past and have picked up points before but nothing as big as these. The longest to the left is about 6" long. I was told these are the real deal (not modern made). I was just wondering if anyone knew what they were used for, how old they might be, ect. DSC00720.JPG DSC00723.JPG DSC00725.JPG ?? I can take better photos if requested.

Upvote 1

Thommy

Mar 12, 2012
Northern Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Nautilus MF, Fisher 1266, Heathkit
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your three biggest points may actually be knife blades. Archaeologists used to consider all lithic blades "Projectile Points", and therefore weapons. In fact, many of these blades were more like butcher knives and utility knives. I used to believe that the biggest points I have found (similar to yours) were "spear points" for hunting bears or people! But now, I am pretty sure my longest blades are knives, not projectile points. Some of the wider blades that are short may be utilitarian-type blades, made for skinning, whittling wood, cutting leather thongs and other chores.

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting that makes sense Thommy. I for got to mention two of the "points" have writing on them. The one in the top right corner has written in pen "Dixon Mounds" the other says St. Charles county Missouri. Did some research on the two place and the Dixon point sorta bothered me. Anyway just because thats written on there does not mean thats were it came from.

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those appear to be various forms covering many eons of Native American points here in the mid west. The long lance points are particularly valued by collectors, and your longest, white lance point may be a very valuable Eden or Godar point. It would be in your best interest to have your collection identified and appraised by a certified Native American artifacts expert. You have a beautiful collection, congrats. Sub 8-)

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Sub your advice is noted. My question is how do I get that done. I live in the Chicagoland area. If anyone knows a expert out there that can do this for me in my area?? Just p.m. me if anyone has any leads. Thanks every one for your help!

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy the way I traded a not working 1982 jukebox for them. About 250.00 is what I had into it. The guy wanted to bust up the collection and sell them off individually. Thats was not going to happen with me standing in the room. :thumbsup:

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Helix,

If you haven't already,you might want to consider posting your pictures on the North American Indian Artifacts forum on this site. Good luck and nice collection!

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy the way I traded a not working 1982 jukebox for them. About 250.00 is what I had into it. The guy wanted to bust up the collection and sell them off individually. Thats was not going to happen with me standing in the room. :thumbsup:

I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised at the value of your collection as a whole...8-)

ClovisOak

Jul 11, 2012
Chicagoland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Bounty Hunter, Garrett Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice points and nice trade! All appear authentic and all appear as Subterranean notes to be midwestern points from the archaic period. That would put the date range between 10,000 to 3,000 BC. If they were modern repos which I don't feel they are they would be $35 a piece. As authentic pieces prices range from $50 to $100 for top row and $100 to $500 for bottom row for each. Possibly more. If you are able to get the story behind who found them and when it would help. The one marked dixon mounds may be the Dickson mounds South and West of Chicago. Personally I never would sell, but if you do you scan ebay to see what different archaic points go for to get an idea of value.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread