1862 Seated Dime in Beach Sand!! Plus! 2-Silver & a Pile of Coins, Long Beach, CA

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy Crap! My oldest coin by 60 years! 1862 Seated Liberty Dime. My previous oldest coin is a 1920 Buffalo Nickel from the sand in Huntington Beach. This morning I went to the Belmont Shore area of Long Beach for a few hours and started scanning both wet and dry sand at 5:30AM. It must have been still dark when I found the Seated Liberty, just took it out of the scoop, put it in my pocket, and didn't even see what it was until I got home. I don't even know how deep and where I scooped it from, although I was working the area very, very slow and deep. A lot of my coins took 4-5 scoops just to get to them. I hit two pocket spills that were DEEP in wet sand!

I also found Sterling Silver; 925 Ring and a Sterling Christopher that I cleaned up some, along with a pile of ugly coins, some junk Jewelry, key, and bits and pieces of marine hardware. One of the quarters I found is a 1965 and looks like the day it was made. This is the second super shinny 1965 quarter I have found in the last couple months. I would swear they had silver in them, but I know they don't.

I thought that I would have to go to the Owens Valley, which I will soon, to find old coins. I'm still in shock that I found that dime in beach sand, although the Long Beach area goes back to the early 1800's

Thanks for Dropping By

P1030633.JPG P1030636.JPG P1030637.JPG P1030638.JPG P1030639.JPG

update: I hit that same small area again yesterday, nothing but clad, toys, marine hardware, and a junk ring.

Last edited:
Upvote 7

Zee

Oct 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Infinium, Garrett Pro Pointer(x2), 30" Bazooka Prospector, Scuba Gear
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds! That pendant is pretty cool.

OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Guys ... I was a scooping fool this morning, a lot of scoops in a relatively small area.

geologyjohn

Mar 18, 2009
West edge of the U.S.
Detector(s) used
WW2 mine detector, D-Tex Standard, D-Tex Deluxe, A.H. Pro Discriminator, various Whites, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher 1270, Fisher F75, Fisher Gold Bug,Tesoro Sand Shark. And maybe others that I forgot?
You got a surfer ring there. I have found three (3) of those this year in N. Cal. Good job on the Seated also!

OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent finds, which machine were you using?

Hi Perses,

Thank You ... I was using the only machine I have (AT Pro). I've only had it for three months or so. I have almost $300 in coins in three big jars, sold four items on eBay for a total of $800, and have other finds that I still need to put on eBay. I love the AT Pro and it's paid for itself twice over. I do not sell my old coins and notable finds.
I haven't even made a dent MD'ing on the beaches I've hit so far and there is a lot more that I want to hit. I research, not to mention I grew up in SoCal, and hit the more obscure areas on the beach and it has been paying off. To Many Beaches ... Not Enough Time!

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet seated.

OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got a surfer ring there. I have found three (3) of those this year in N. Cal. Good job on the Seated also!

Thanks Geo-John ... Yes it is a surfer ring (too small for me), and I lost a surfer ring throwing a ball for my dog at a local park about six months ago (two months before I started MD). I haven't MD any parks, but I do need to see if I can find my ring. I have taken short walks through a couple of old parks I know with my MD just to hear what was there, and my God! They are loaded with high tone signals. I have taken my dog to dozens of parks over the years and I don't believe anyone MD's parks, at least within five miles of me. I've never seen any evidence of digging in parks. SoCal has slobs like everywhere else, so I should have seen some signs of digging. I guess most people that live close to the beach MD there and not the parks, or maybe they are lazy, or don't want to get their hands dirty. One of these days, I will set the AT PRO with everything notched out but silver and hit the older parks.

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You just gotta love those surprise oldies, congrats!

OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You just gotta love those surprise oldies, congrats!

Thanks Guys ... I'm still thinking about that coin. I hit that same area again today, nothing but clad, toys, marine hardware, and a junk ring.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread