Mystery token/coin... A newbie needs HELP!!!

ericthedigger

Mar 2, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
White's MXTpro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where do I begin? I found this weird CPG CO "token/coin?" in Essex County, Massachusetts yesterday. Actually it appears to be two tokens/coins stuck together. The thought of separating them is absolutely terrifying to me so I haven't tried anything yet. Could it be that the fronts of both coins are facing out and there could be another design on the two sides stuck together? I've done a lot of researching in the past 24 hours but can't find anything that resembles these coins or the name CPG Co. Are they even coins/tokens or something different because the shape is not totally round.....looks really old though. What's the white coloring around the edges? I've found coins dating back to 1803 in this same area. I need help!! Also any tips separating them or not separating them would be useful.

Attachments

• CPG1.jpg
    CPG1.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 222
  • CPG2.jpg
    CPG2.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 238
  • CPG3.jpg
    CPG3.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 237
  • CPG4.jpg
    CPG4.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 218
Upvote 0

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lead bale seals were used to identify ownership of hay bales sent to market. They were typically made of lead because the metal is soft but durable and wax wouldn't last in that environment.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep, what Evolution and cti4sw said...

Detect History

Feb 5, 2013
GI Joe headquarters
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Definitely a lead seal. Beauty!! Wire is set in between the 2 pieces (which on some I have found is 1 piece folded over the wire and stamped). The wire is then wrapped around an object or part of it. The ones I have found are railroad

Great find!!

OP
OP
E

ericthedigger

Mar 2, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
White's MXTpro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Thanks to everyone who provided some information. That's got to be it! I searched for hours and within a minute I had an answer on this site. Amazing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions