William H. Harrison Campaign Pin, silver, & buttons from the MASS Silver site

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other

This summer I decided to take a little hiatus from serious detecting. But now that the crops are being harvested at my favorite hunting grounds, I'm back! These are the first decent finds for me this Fall, but with thousands of acres of land to detect on the site where I found my Oak Tree Shilling and quarter cut Pine Tree Shilling. With all the Massachusetts silvers popping up lately I'm hoping to complete my Tree coin type set, and maybe top it off with a NE Shilling ;)

Both of the silver pieces are marked sterling on the back, so their not that old. The buttons have interesting designs, I'm not sure if anyone recognizes the patterns or markings, but if they catch your eye, let me know :)

The William Henry Harrison Campaign pin or button is interesting. It's my second W.H. Harrison campaign item I've found at this site and coincidentally, it was a face up surface find, just like my last one. I wasn't able to find a match for it with a quick google search. It is flat and has no yet visible back mark. Has anyone seen one like this?

Update: The William Henry Harrison Campaign item isn't a button, its a brooch from the election of 1840.
Thank you Bramblefind for the great ID on the Harrison Brooch.
Hake's - UNLISTED 1840 BRASS BROOCH WITH "HARRISON & REFORM" ABOVE CABIN.

UNLISTED 1840 BRASS BROOCH WITH "HARRISON & REFORM" ABOVE CABIN.
Bidding has ended for this item.
« Previous Item | Next Item »
Auction #197 > Item 199
Ask a question about this item | E-mail this item to a friend
Winning Bid: $600.88 (includes 15% Buyer's Premium)
Bids: 2
Bidding Ended: March 25, 2009 at 1:35 AM EDT
Auction: Auction #197 - Part I
Item numbers 1 through 991 in auction 197
Item Description
.75" across with the original brass pin extending a full additional .25" to the right. Unusual aspects of this piece are the slogan appearing on a curved line at the top of the scene rather than having his name at the top with the word "Reform" at the bottom as it appears on so many other brooches. In addition, most other brooches include the depiction of a flagpole whereas on this no pole or flag is present. The log cabin with grass below is incredibly detailed and at the far left is a cider barrel beneath a tree. The entire bkg. of the scene has very fine horizontal accent lines. Only example we know of with this design and in Exc. condition. Rare. (J - $700 to $1000)

paperclip.png
Attached Thumbnails

Attachments

• wwhbutton.jpeg
    wwhbutton.jpeg
    119.9 KB · Views: 157
  • whhreverse.jpeg
    whhreverse.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 153
  • silver.jpeg
    silver.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 148
  • buttons.jpeg
    buttons.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 139
  • button.jpeg
    button.jpeg
    131.5 KB · Views: 137
  • button2.jpeg
    button2.jpeg
    94.4 KB · Views: 129
  • button3.jpeg
    button3.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Upvote 7

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't see any pins like yours online. I've seen plenty of the buttons & other pins but not one even close to this. Great find! A very rare one I'd say!

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Very cool find Oxbow. I am anticpating seeing more goodies coming from your fields.

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I didn't see any pins like yours online. I've seen plenty of the buttons & other pins but not one even close to this. Great find! A very rare one I'd say!

I'm hoping you're right!

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The father of modern campaigning. Nice finds and I hope you do find a NE shilling.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. That Harrison piece is a curiosity. Hope it turns out to be something rare. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Great finds. That Harrison piece is a curiosity. Hope it turns out to be something rare. :thumbsup:

Thank you for the comment. I've been able to find a couple examples of rectangular Harrison pieces, but none that match mine. I'm hoping someone knows of a more comprehensive resource for these.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great find. Did some quick searching but couldn't come up with anything. Hope someone knows.

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score !

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds Jason,looks like there is more corn this year than last,I'm ready to go when you are!!!!! GodBless Chris

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds Jason,looks like there is more corn this year than last,I'm ready to go when you are!!!!! GodBless Chris

They started cutting the corn last weekend. Most of the potatoes have been harvested, but the soil is so loose its hard to get good signals. A little rain will help. I'll be out there at least one day this weekend. I'll let you know for sure!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Harrison piece is very interesting, it's a shame it's not intact.

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
The Harrison piece is very interesting, it's a shame it's not intact.

I'm lucky it was face up, or else I might have just tossed it into my junk bag, lol. Fortunately, I could see that log cabin staring up at me on the ground.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that pin is evidently a rare one. I scrubbed the web and couldn't come up with a match. some similar, but no match. awesome find!

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Update:
I posted the Harrison campaign item on the What Is It forum and thanks to Bramblefind, it didn't take long to get a solid ID. Seems it is a rare William Henry Harrison Brooch. The one sold in the link below was the only one known to the auction house when they sold it in 2009 for $600.

Hake's - UNLISTED 1840 BRASS BROOCH WITH "HARRISON & REFORM" ABOVE CABIN.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen one Harrison button dug (1840 election) by my fiancee. Never seen one of these dug, or even knew this item existed before you posted this.

BIG congrats on a very nice find!

-Buck

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I have seen one Harrison button dug (1840 election) by my fiancee. Never seen one of these dug, or even knew this item existed before you posted this.

BIG congrats on a very nice find!

-Buck

Thank you! I had seen the campaign buttons and medallions before, but this piece was vexing to me. I'm very happy is was identified and even happier to see that it may be one of only two known examples! Now get out there and find some more Spanish Silvers :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread