First Spanish Silver & Twin Large Cents

oney

May 20, 2013
Northeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You know when you get that sudden urge to go hunt because you've been thinking about a spot you've most likely been before? Trust your intuition and go! Got to one of my newest private properties that I recently got permission for. This is the place that has produced two other large cents (1837 / 1822) two indian heads (1862 / 1886) and a v nickel (1902). It's an old farm and this particular field I'm hunting is a little unkempt. Most areas have the dreaded grass lumps from years of neglect. If you've been there you know what a pain it is to get a decent signal. Anyway, I hit an area that I hadn't had much luck in but I was confident in all I've learned with my machine and took it nice and slow. Target 1 is coming in at 81-83 on the ATPro. Five inches down I see a fat rim and new I had a large. Knock the dirt off and see clearly 1820. This is when the second wind kicks in and soon enough I've got another good high tone. It's jumping from 75-77 and although I'm hearing it on my propointer I can find it. I finally isolate it to a little clod of dirt and when I break it I see a very thin edge and it sure looks silver! Carefully I removed it and could once again clearly see a date of 1786. I sat down, shaking violently of course haha, the middle of the coin is beat up pretty bad but the edges read the familiar Carolus III. I'm blown away but I put it safely away and tried to get back to hunting. I'm up and at it again and I hear a squeal faintly as I passed a section of grass. Moved in a bit and found the rest of the signal. Blaring at 82-83 and at 5 inches again I see another large cent. Once again a legible date and I'm surprised to see a second 1820. Pulled the two buttons nearby but I don't know much about them yet. Haven't even rinsed them yet but here they are. Thanks for reading this far down your browser. :) ha

image-2242605574.png

More to come.

Upvote 6

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh heck yeah!!!! congrats on the spanish - and old. love it.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you stumbled onto a pretty promising little hot spot. Sweet finds! :thumbsup:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1 more than me:occasion14:

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! It's always a thrill to dig coins like that!

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet trifecta of old coinage. I hope you get another urge to go back to that site. Maybe there is more waiting for you.

muddpuppy

Jun 20, 2011
Central Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet recovery. The large cent on the left has great detail, but both appear to be in better than average "dug" condition. Congrtats!

Keep Swinging!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
oney

oney

May 20, 2013
Northeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds! Don't rinse those buttons. Toothpick! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/cleaning-preservation/89045-how-clean-buttons.html Best Wishes, Buck
Checked it out this morning and I'll definitely give it a shot. I'll post a finished pic eventually of the buttons and see what you think. I've already been able to read two quality marks. One reads "rich gold colour" and the other is "double gilt, 2nd quality". One other looks to read something alone the lines of "treble gilt extra". This farm I hit was a test run for me and I'll take older copper over silver some days. I appreciate the history so much. Thanks for all the comments and help.

4 largies, a v nickel, and some Indians so far but the relics and buttons are incredible.

NJLargeCent

Feb 8, 2012
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These are great finds and also clear indicators that other oldies lurk there. Best of luck on your return trips.

OP
OP
oney

oney

May 20, 2013
Northeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Better pictures of the half reale. Haven't finished the tlc session on the twins yet.

image-2738084083.png

image-46451582.png

Once again...wish it was in better shape but having a date and identifiable features works for me. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread