Terrific February Day! Found a late 1700s virgin homestead :)

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terrific February Day! Found a late 1700's virgin homestead :)

For several months I have been trying to find a way to a possible homestead site that was legal to hunt but there was no easy access to get to it. I finally figured a way to walk thru the thick underbrush that allowed me to find the site today and I was kind of happy I went through all the effort.

I first found the refuse dump, I got a reading right away that thought might be a large copper but to my pleasant surprise it was one of those 1790 era large flat button. I had to chop the button out with my drywall hammer, but that was really no problem. Some of the ground was frozen rather hard and other sections were not that hard at all.

Well, right after I got the large button, I found a few more and all the readings were in the refuse area and the ground was full of old oyster and clam shells, which in this area is a beautiful sight to see, meaning a homestead was very close by.

I then got a nice reading that I made sure I got a photo of the reading on the Explorer XS since some like to ask where it read on the screen, hope you all can see it, because it screamed LARGE COPPER COIN to me! :)
Sure enough, it was a King George copper and in darn good shape to.

I ended up with about 6 buttons, of varies styles, a finial, some odds and ends and the copper coin ended up being a nice 1775 KG coin.

I will be going back to the site again later this week or next week for sure, since the cold weather has finally released its grip.

Enjoy the photos, I enjoyed the hunt.........

Don in South Jersey

Attachments

• 1A.jpg
    1A.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 7,063
  • 2A.jpg
    2A.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 6,975
  • 3A.jpg
    3A.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 6,914
  • 4A.jpg
    4A.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 6,813
  • 5A.jpg
    5A.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 6,741
  • 1775KingGeorgeIIISite217.jpg
    1775KingGeorgeIIISite217.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 6,782
Upvote 2

Salvager

Sep 4, 2006
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov. Elite / Explorer II
Re: Terrific February Day! Found a late 1700's virgin homestead :)

Awesome find! Sounds like your gonna have a GREAT year!

Have fun,
Salvager

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)

SWEET! Must have been a heck of a lot of work. You'd be a great digging parnter!
very very cool finds
~Nash~

Hardy

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2006
3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
Detector(s) used
NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
Primary Interest:
Other

Great Flat buttons you got there, 1700"s is my geuss ;)

UnknownBounty

May 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX

superb recoveries.

dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 5 Garrett ace 350

wow don those are some incredible finds that george iii is a beauty good luck and i cant wait to what else you find there

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

Great job Don.....I've been finding similar items..How did you clean the George?........Chris

Catsman

Jan 29, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT

Excellent post!!! Good research and great finds. HH,Catsman

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds and a great post. Could have used some video but the pics were great!! ;D

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just amazing finds, Don! :o Love the post and the pictures!

Congrats! Nana :)

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX

Don in SJ said:
I first found the refuse dump...

Get out the shovels and scratcher man. I would love to see what a late 1700s dump holds. Bet you will get the pick of the litter there... :)

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star

Those old sites can sometimes be located through the brier thickets where the rabbits wouldn't go. But when we have the research all done, the fever hits, the Crocodile Dundee syndrome takes over and there is no stopping us then.

Thanks for the wonderful picture story hunt, I needed the fix :)

99Brown

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2006
Illinois

Great job Don! Love the finds. And the photos are nice too. WTG!!

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

eathabs said:
Outstanding KG and finds!!! What did you do to clean them???

Directions for the Cleaning of Artifacts/Coins using Hydrogen Peroxide

Required items:

1 - Disposable plastic bowl – I use an empty margarine container
ADDED: - I now use a harder plastic container that can go into the microwave

1 - Bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide which is 3% H2O2

1 - Heat Source – I have a gooseneck lamp with a halogen bulb in it.

1 - Box of Cotton Swabs – Q Tips are the best – others fall apart too easily

Make sure the artifact/coin is free of any oil coating like olive oil if you previously had soaked this object. The oil coating prevents the Hydrogen Peroxide from working on the dirt.
Put object to be cleaned in disposable plastic bowl and then pour Hydrogen Peroxide on top until it is at least a half an inch above the object to be cleaned.

Using the lamp as a heater, I position the lamp to within 2-4 inches of the bowl. This heats up the solution. Be careful not to cause anything to melt from too much heat, use common sense for this part. A Heat Source is NOT necessary, but it does speed up the cleaning significantly...

ADDED: YOU CAN USE A MICROWAVE TO HEAT THE PEROXIDE UP FIRST, BUT BE CAREFULL AND PLEASE USE A SAFE CONTAINER WITH NO METAL IN IT, PUT THE RELIC/COIN IN AFTER THE APPROX ONE MINUTE HEAT UP IN THE MICROWAVE!!!!!
If the solution is hot enough the boiling of the Peroxide should be very evident to you and should remind you of a geyser. Once it is cooking it sprays the bubbles and smokes a little also. This should continue for anywhere from one hour to two or three.

Periodically remove the object if you want to check on the progress. I usually then lay it on a napkin and take a cotton swab and start to gently rub and see how much crud is coming off the object. It might take several hours or more to get real clean. You might even have to repeat the entire process if the object has a lot of stubborn crud on it.

When the bubbling of the Peroxide stops the cleaning also is done. If it needs more cleaning start over again with fresh fluid.

Keep your cotton swabs wet with the Peroxide while gently rubbing, this will prevent scratches.
When done with your cleaning, rinse the object well with water.

The first coin I did with this method did not require any rubbing whatsoever. I believe each artifact/coin is unique in how it is cleaned. Some did not clean up hardly at all. If it is a corroded object, like a pitted, green Indian Head, I don't think anything you do will help that.

My best advice is to experiment on non-valuable objects first and then move on to your better finds once you build confidence in what you are doing.

The objects may appear dried out after cleaning, if you want you can coat with a coin preservative like Blue Ribbon Coin Conditioner and Preservative or a similar product or even a light coating of Vaseline or a coating of Renaissance Wax.

(The above is from a post I did on cleaning Large Cents on the Cleaning and Preservation forum)
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,39135.0.html

Don

C

Clam Digga

Hi Don,
Great Site , Great Finds, and Thanks for sharing the Pics & Story. Dig that site more!

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll

Sweet finds! I love that site you are in. Those wooded cellar holes a just a ton of fun to detect around. You should be able to find targets there for years to come. Congrats on your efforts to find that one.

dfxmatt

Jul 6, 2006
MICHIGAN
Detector(s) used
whites dfx and whites beachunter i.d. in summer

Reading your posts always makes me realize how much i suck.......lmao...........good digs man

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions