Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Biggest, Oldest Silver French Coin, and what a surprise.

EDIT; Just figured out what appears to be damage on the obverse is not, turns out it is an overstrike of a previous (1720) type and you should be able to see it quite well in the zoomed pic.

EDIT added a dirty pic.
Here's a dirty pic., a frame taken from the video clip.
and the whole "find" story is on page 2 or 3.

find13-61-8.jpg

Attachments

• find13-61-1.JPG
    find13-61-1.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 827
  • find13-61-5.JPG
    find13-61-5.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 680
  • find13-61-6.JPG
    find13-61-6.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 669
  • find13-61-7.JPG
    find13-61-7.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 616
Last edited:
Upvote 47

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely overstrike from the previous year, I even found reference to it happening, I'll see if I can find it again.
In the mean time here is a picture of the 1720 reverse so you can see. (this one has a different mint mark)

ok, that makes more sense. that's awesome. outstanding find and again, congrats!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a BIG Ole Silver, and a nice one at that.:icon_thumright:

SS

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super fantastic find Rick, I wish I could have been there when you found that one. This coin is with out a doubt a banner worthy coin. It's so rare to find a french coin that large and old in the colonies that wasn't part of a shipwreck cargo. Way to go buddy.:hello2::hello2::hello2:

I think I will go put my vote in now.
ZDD

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome find!! Congrats!! That's something on my wish list for sure!!

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice looking coin, it looks like relic hunting down your way gives up some nice early finds.:icon_thumleft:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found it,

." The type was struck 1720-23 in large numbers while the adventurer John Law dominated the French government. Many were struck over petit Louis d'argent struck in 1720."

Taken from here.
France 1723-G 1/3 ecu - CoinFactsWiki

yes, a fairly common thing. I owned one of those a few years back and a lot of the earlier coin's detail was there, and was strong too.... pretty cool coin. I currently have 2 1690s Ecus that are overstruck.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BEAUTIFUL for condition, and a STUNNING find for age! With age and condition going for it, that one will be hard to beat. A BIG congratulations on such a fantastic coin find.

Cheers,

Buck

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet jesus, what a beauty!!! Banner

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally getting aound to commenting on this find. Was off line all weekend.

You continue to out do yourself on Colonial silver this year Rick. With each one you find, they get bigger and older. This one has Banner written all over it!

Last edited:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First one of those I remember seeing. Very nice coin!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
I know this isn't the right place to express my thoughts on certain policies in place on this forum,BUT, it seems that if you lobby enough for things to go to the banner, maybe, just maybe, you can point out the fact that certain finds deserve recognition

Well, here's a find that we may never see posted up again, old enough, interesting enough, and yeah pretty darn cool , and part of our colonial history!
I voted this one for banner, who else thinks so?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this isn't the right place to express my thoughts on certain policies in place on this forum,BUT, it seems that if you lobby enough for things to go to the banner, maybe, just maybe, you can point out the fact that certain finds deserve recognition

Well, here's a find that we may never see posted up again, old enough, interesting enough, and yeah pretty darn cool , and part of our colonial history!
I voted this one for banner, who else thinks so?

Romeo's from a couple years back made it.

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THANKS, IH, Steve PA, Gio the Greek, ZDD, and any others who may have sent me a vote.

I guess in my excitement I did forget to tell the story, so...

I arrived on site a little past noon. I do not rember the order in which I got the old hinge, or shield, but it was about 45 minutes in when I get on of those 88-89 ID's on my Omega, one of those "could be a good one" type of signals very close to the surface. When the depth is right my machine is usually right. So at only 2 to 3 inches I pop out this big silver. My eyes are not as good as they should be, and it had a little crust of red/brown dirt stuck to it. I could see the crown over shield, and was thinking mexican 2R I was pumped because I could tell it had lots of detail, I just couldn't see it well. So into a plastic zip lock it goes.

I continued on for another couple of hours, most of that a blurr, just thinking of the coin in my pocket (and hoping for another :laughing7:)

If you don't think I was excited ask IP, I PMed him of the news as soon as I got home I had got another big silver in good shape. After soaking for awhile to loosen the dirt, I PMed him back "I think it's French".

So that's the story.
Thanks to all for the nice comments and 24 or so likes, I too think it is a beauty of a coin, a "cherry" in my collection. Have been wanting a french silver for a long time, this year I got my first a 1710 30 deniers, but it don't hold a candle to this one.

Banner or not it is probably my best find in 6 years, and about a quarter million holes.

Good Luck Out There !

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG Rick! That's one beautiful pc of silver!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Rick, that is a phenomenal looking piece of history. Congratulations and a sincere thanks you for helping me out the other day with my questions. That coin must be karma for helping out a new guy :-)

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somehow i missed this one. Exceptional find! Very nice Big Silver. Based on the fact where this one was found my vote is in too. :occasion14:

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know why this find hasn't made Banner yet??? What gives? This coin IS colonial history and is as rare to find as perhaps an 8 Reale cob. Anyone else that would unearth one of these coins would certainly expect it to make the Banner, so hit that banner box and lets put this wonderful coin in it's rightful place....at the top.:thumbsup:
ZDD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread