Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is today's finds but I found this on Thursday. And this was one hell of a birthday present. So I went to a cellar hole that was hit hard by other people so targets were pretty much nilch. Getting frustrated I started digging any targets that had a high pitch. When this brass plate popped out. I almost completely disregarded this piece until I wiped it off and saw 10 regt. So I did what I usually do when I get excited I make a dash for the car. So after getting home and cleaning the plate with soapy water I was finally able to make out the script I compy Lt infantry 10 regt. So I then posted it on the what is it forum and with the help of folks there they narrowed it down to a millitary cap plate. Then with a suggestion from gold diver I sent an email to don trioani whos an expert on early millitaria. And he gave it the id of a ct militia 1800-1820 militia hat cap. This is the most significant find I have ever made. Thanks for looking- Justin

Attachments

• image-1157012004.jpg
    image-1157012004.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 865
  • image-970016920.jpg
    image-970016920.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 556
Last edited:
Upvote 42

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great recovery for sure, it goes to show you that there's always something left in the ground after a place gets pounded. It's got my vote also and congrats on the very nice piece.

OP
OP
RelicDude

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone I'm just happy I didn't scrap it when I found it because at first I thought it was a piece of roof flashing. Just goes to show you should look at every piece you dig.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a beautiful piece of history, you are right too... look at every piece! voting banner!

OP
OP
RelicDude

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a a better pic of it in the sun light

Attachments

• image-711895018.jpg
    image-711895018.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 120

sefox87

Jun 25, 2012
CT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That pic is much better, awesome example of early American history. You got a banner vote from me :)

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to believe historical finds such as this don't get more attention.... Maybe if you put wheat penny in the title????

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been meaning to reply to this find, but the app on my phone won't let me reply (or I'm just too stupid). Anyway, congrats on finding such a cool military relic and taking the time to examine it instead of throwing it away! I am putting a banner vote in for this one. You just don't see these posted very often.

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! Awesome find. Now if you can find out who lived there & find their Military Records that would add a ton of provenance to that item!

Banner!

OP
OP
RelicDude

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys I wish there was a way to track back to who owned it to get the provenance. But I can't even find this old home site on any old maps.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible piece of history! You just never know what history will give up. Congrats on a truly great and historic find.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, I guess people like coins more then relics and stuff like this
i think people may not know how rare it is. After reading this post I did some research and he defy has a banner find. Most of us will never find one of these. Great find.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been holding off on commenting on this find until I could research it more. You made an incredible discovery, these do not turn up often. I am looking forward to seeing it up on the BANNER!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
I've been holding off on commenting on this find until I could research it more. You made an incredible discovery, these do not turn up often. I am looking forward to seeing it up on the BANNER!

That criteria you mentioned also pertains to a lot of significant finds on this forum. There are many great relics that show up that never make the banner. The today's finds category is broad and is inundated with many not so significant finds that the good ones are soon buried and we move on to the next thread so fast.
It's my personal belief that many members don't get the whole banner thing, plus the members that truly appreciate and understand what some these finds represent, are few and don't have the combined punch to elevate a truly great find to the top of the page. Having said that, perhaps a military relic section might separate the wheat from the chaff and let deserved finds shine

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread