Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is today's finds but I found this on Thursday. And this was one hell of a birthday present. So I went to a cellar hole that was hit hard by other people so targets were pretty much nilch. Getting frustrated I started digging any targets that had a high pitch. When this brass plate popped out. I almost completely disregarded this piece until I wiped it off and saw 10 regt. So I did what I usually do when I get excited I make a dash for the car. So after getting home and cleaning the plate with soapy water I was finally able to make out the script I compy Lt infantry 10 regt. So I then posted it on the what is it forum and with the help of folks there they narrowed it down to a millitary cap plate. Then with a suggestion from gold diver I sent an email to don trioani whos an expert on early millitaria. And he gave it the id of a ct militia 1800-1820 militia hat cap. This is the most significant find I have ever made. Thanks for looking- Justin

Attachments

• image-1157012004.jpg
    image-1157012004.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 863
  • image-970016920.jpg
    image-970016920.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 555
Last edited:
Upvote 42

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that would look great on the BANNER! I'll put a vote in when I get to a computer. That's a great find there!

sefox87

Jun 25, 2012
CT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's pretty sweet, an awesome piece of history nice find

OP
OP
RelicDude

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone. I don't believe I've ever seen a cap plate on here ever.

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome find!!!! Congrats! That's most def got my banner vote!

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find, you got to like it when you think a site is all detected out, it goes to show you what digging iffy signals can turn up.:icon_thumleft:

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just put my vote in! I hope this doesn't get knocked down the list as threads tend to do on Saturdays. You don't see items like this too often on here. Can you get a better pic in the sunlight tomorrow? I know they like you to have good pics if it gets banner. Again, congrats!

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is beyond cool and an important part of American History. I, therefore, nominate it and request that it take a trip down....

Attachments

• bannersign.jpg
    bannersign.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 3,256
OP
OP
RelicDude

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone for the kind words. I will most deffinantly try to get a better picture in the morning.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME find! Congrats RD.
My banner vote is in. :occasion14:
-MM-

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone. I don't believe I've ever seen a cap plate on here ever.

How about my Napoleonic Spanish cap plate? ;)

Nice find there! That's a great piece. Surprised you didn't toothpick method clean that, but rather used water...

-Buck

wildcarrot

Oct 5, 2013
SoCal
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
old used white's surfmaster PI, Dual Field, DFX, Minelab GM 1000 and Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd keep diggin' all targets that have a high pitch.

Very Cool

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about my Napoleonic Spanish cap plate? ;)

Nice find there! That's a great piece. Surprised you didn't toothpick method clean that, but rather used water...

-Buck

I saw the water on this photo & I cringed a little lol! Still a great find. Buckle- I use all of your methods now & recommend them to others. I am the Program Director for a club in SC & have done talks on cleaning, I give you credit & refer others to your guides!

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find I got excited when I posted a button the other day and found out it was a civil war era general service button. I love the old military relics! Around here the only wars were the Indian wars and war of 1812. So I figure my button came from a vets uniform and was lost in the house that once sat there. I dished up the field last night where the house and barn used to sit and can't wait to hunt it tomorrow. I've found Indians and one barber dime there so far and some relics. It's full of iron though. Your find is awesome and deserves to be a banner.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find I got excited when I posted a button the other day and found out it was a civil war era general service button. I love the old military relics! Around here the only wars were the Indian wars and war of 1812. So I figure my button came from a vets uniform and was lost in the house that once sat there. I dished up the field last night where the house and barn used to sit and can't wait to hunt it tomorrow. I've found Indians and one barber dime there so far and some relics. It's full of iron though. Your find is awesome and deserves to be a banner.

Disked not dished darn iPad. Lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread