Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Well we keep on keeping on down here in South Louisiana. Got a call from Shanegalang that he was free from work today, and as luck would have it I had half a day off, so guess what we did... Went DIGGIN' of course! :D

Things started off slow, with not much to show for our efforts. A couple grubby buttons showing up, none of them too promising. I got a couple tombacs, which mean that they were probably missed before since they read low. Then Shanegalang got a nice piece of a colonial era civilian spur, including the neck and part of the rusted rowel. Good find there. We picked up a lot of pipe stems as we were working out this little petit habitants site. The recent rains have helped wash them out.

Then I dug what I thought might have to be my prized find of the day...:BangHead: It is not pictured here. You'll have to watch the video to feast your eyes on something I've never dug before...

Then all of a sudden, Shanegalang yelled "Come to Daddy!" I was scared to look, and even more scared to walk in his direction, but then he said he had a silver coin, so I decided to start walking that way. :laughing7: When I got there, I saw a very worn, bent half real that was holed four times. Still counts in the total, and the date IS visible as 1774, which makes this Shane's oldest coin. :headbang: Not sure what those colonial guys were trying to do to that coin, but it is a strange one! This one brings our total to 27 Spanish Silvers for 2013. Fingers crossed on getting to 30. Looks like we just may do it!

Well, we dug a while longer, and I got a couple more buttons. I didn't pay much attention to them, just stuck them in my pouch. There were a couple decorative examples, which I mildly looked forward to cleaning with aluminum jelly at home. Well, I always check out all my finds and as I was cleaning one of the buttons (cuff sized), I saw that it had a "bird cage" shank! Friends, this button was screaming "FRENCH MILITARY!" at me! Carefully I turned it over, and started cleaning the front. I could see the number "15" peeking through, surrounded by the foliated broken line which is iconic in French buttons from that time period. The button is Napoleonic Era, and probably dates between 1803 and 1814. Louisiana was under French control during the early period, as well as 1802-04. So I can mark "French Colonial" off my wish list now! :hello2: The button is not in great shape, but I don't care one bit. Always wanted to dig one, and now I have.

Here's the video. Photos below, too.

HPIM4421.JPG IMG_1196.JPG

IMG_1197.JPG HPIM4417.JPG

HPIM4419-001.JPG IMG_1199.JPG

I was hoping I would see some record of the 15th Regt in Louisiana during the early 1800s, but I have not found anything yet. If any of you can turn up some militay history surrounding that regiment, please reply and let me know. Here is a webpage that gives info about French involvement in the South.

France Page

Best Wishes,

Buck

Last edited:
Upvote 14

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Bill, that's it exactly. Unfortunately the button was not in great shape, but there was enough there to ID, which was good news. The regiments were re-named so frequently in the late 1700s that it is difficult to tell if the 15th had any official business here, but I don't think it did. Must've been a veteran who retired from service, moved to French Louisiana, or settled here.

Cheers,

Buck

You guys continue to amaze. Love that unique 4-holed silver, but I believe I like the french button even better as its definitely a much more rare find. I found a couple pics of what I believe your button should look like. Does it match yours?

View attachment 889786

View attachment 889787

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds as always! That button is awesome, hopefully you can make a historical connection.

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The French button is a great find! Sorry that it's in bad shape. Usually they come out pretty good so there is hope that you can pull a better one the next outing!

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG BB! Hi Ho Silver! You sure are taking names & numbers this year! :hello2:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P.S.--I also got a Hutchinson bottle stopper in my group finds photo at the right. That was actually my first one of those recovered. I think they're neat.

HPIM4417.JPG SealedHutchdrawing.jpg

Last edited:

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Buck,

I did notice that, but figured it was too bottle centric for most here. Now you're gonna have to turn up some Hutches...

DSC00772.jpg

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, it is hot in the South, you guys are on fire.:notworthy:
ZDD

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Congrats Buckle on some great finds. I to like the button the best :icon_thumleft:

Bubba65

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the finds! Cool vid, liked watching the progress of the hunt even as you dug the junk piece. "Keepin' it real"! (No pun intended... I was talkin' about the junk, not the Spanish silver).

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome score BB ! Im with Quindy I could see 50 for the year ...

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats to you and Shangalang Will. :occasion18: That button is fantastic and so is the 4-holed Spanish reale. There sure was a lot of smoking going on in those cane fields. I tried it once back in the 70's but couldn't keep it lit. Kind of sweet though. :tongue3:
Have you figured out if that 1st time long relic you dug was from the Spanish or French BATtalion? :dontknow:
Way to go guys. I say you hit 45 Spanish for the year. Good luck :icon_thumleft: and as always, THANKS for the video.
-MM-

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't believe you don't want the bat considered for the banner! :laughing9:

Congrats on #27, you guys are going to be in the mid 30s for the year!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats to you and Shangalang Will. :occasion18: That button is fantastic and so is the 4-holed Spanish reale. There sure was a lot of smoking going on in those cane fields. I tried it once back in the 70's but couldn't keep it lit. Kind of sweet though. :tongue3:
Have you figured out if that 1st time long relic you dug was from the Spanish or French BATtalion? :dontknow:
Way to go guys. I say you hit 45 Spanish for the year. Good luck :icon_thumleft: and as always, THANKS for the video.
-MM-

hahaha, you're a hoot. I decided not to keep the item because it was so BATtered by the plow. :D

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds again and as always, great video. Keep swinging, digging and posting

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions