Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Well we keep on keeping on down here in South Louisiana. Got a call from Shanegalang that he was free from work today, and as luck would have it I had half a day off, so guess what we did... Went DIGGIN' of course! :D

Things started off slow, with not much to show for our efforts. A couple grubby buttons showing up, none of them too promising. I got a couple tombacs, which mean that they were probably missed before since they read low. Then Shanegalang got a nice piece of a colonial era civilian spur, including the neck and part of the rusted rowel. Good find there. We picked up a lot of pipe stems as we were working out this little petit habitants site. The recent rains have helped wash them out.

Then I dug what I thought might have to be my prized find of the day...:BangHead: It is not pictured here. You'll have to watch the video to feast your eyes on something I've never dug before...

Then all of a sudden, Shanegalang yelled "Come to Daddy!" I was scared to look, and even more scared to walk in his direction, but then he said he had a silver coin, so I decided to start walking that way. :laughing7: When I got there, I saw a very worn, bent half real that was holed four times. Still counts in the total, and the date IS visible as 1774, which makes this Shane's oldest coin. :headbang: Not sure what those colonial guys were trying to do to that coin, but it is a strange one! This one brings our total to 27 Spanish Silvers for 2013. Fingers crossed on getting to 30. Looks like we just may do it!

Well, we dug a while longer, and I got a couple more buttons. I didn't pay much attention to them, just stuck them in my pouch. There were a couple decorative examples, which I mildly looked forward to cleaning with aluminum jelly at home. Well, I always check out all my finds and as I was cleaning one of the buttons (cuff sized), I saw that it had a "bird cage" shank! Friends, this button was screaming "FRENCH MILITARY!" at me! Carefully I turned it over, and started cleaning the front. I could see the number "15" peeking through, surrounded by the foliated broken line which is iconic in French buttons from that time period. The button is Napoleonic Era, and probably dates between 1803 and 1814. Louisiana was under French control during the early period, as well as 1802-04. So I can mark "French Colonial" off my wish list now! :hello2: The button is not in great shape, but I don't care one bit. Always wanted to dig one, and now I have.

Here's the video. Photos below, too.

HPIM4421.JPG IMG_1196.JPG

IMG_1197.JPG HPIM4417.JPG

HPIM4419-001.JPG IMG_1199.JPG

I was hoping I would see some record of the 15th Regt in Louisiana during the early 1800s, but I have not found anything yet. If any of you can turn up some militay history surrounding that regiment, please reply and let me know. Here is a webpage that gives info about French involvement in the South.

France Page

Best Wishes,

Buck

Last edited:
Upvote 14

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt guys. Number 27 I think you will make 30. That sure is a lot of clay pipe stems. Must be a tavern near. Good looking buttons. I think the bat was a Louisiana slugger is what they are called.
Enjoyed the Vid you guys are funny with your new accents.Congrats to Shangalang on your oldest to date. Silver that is!
HH
TnMtns

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoyed the video, nice work gentlemen. Cool finds!

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You guys really mopped up on pipe stems BB. You may hit 50 on Spanish silvers before the end of the year with a few double up hunts. HH, Q.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I really enjoyed the video of your hunt Buck! :thumbsup:
I love finding pottery shards, especially when they're decorated!

Dave

bountyhuntergirl86

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II & Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are made of kaolin clay.

Nice hunt guys..that sure is an interesting reale.
Do you have a photo showing any of the detail?

Sent from my M865 using TreasureNet

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
I was actually most excited about the two eye balled clay pipe bowls, I have always wanted to get a complete or near complete example. The french military is an awesome find BB. So also we now have an eye balled Que ball and a baseball bat. I will add a goal post to my wish list:laughing7: Come on 30 for 2013!! Laissez les bons temps roule'!!!

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Great hunt guys. Number 27 I think you will make 30. That sure is a lot of clay pipe stems. Must be a tavern near. Good looking buttons. I think the bat was a Louisiana slugger is what they are called.
Enjoyed the Vid you guys are funny with your new accents.Congrats to Shangalang on your oldest to date. Silver that is!
HH
TnMtns
Lol I have had that accent for 47 years now :)

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
They are made of kaolin clay.

Nice hunt guys..that sure is an interesting reale.
Do you have a photo showing any of the detail?
hi gator---I am trying to get a photo of the date but being that it is bent like it is, it is making it really a challenge. I will give it another try this evening. Shane

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm rooting for ya.
Finding those pipes is great.
I've only managed a few whole bowls.
Your best chance will probably be checking (sifting) the closest waters edge.

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good stuff Buck. I could be wrong but I think there was another four hole bent coin posted within the last few weeks.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome stuff as usual from you guys. Congrats:icon_thumleft:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For 2013 your well past my 13 years of Spanish silver finds!

PS: What's with all this "Buckleboy" stuff?

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was actually most excited about the two eye balled clay pipe bowls, I have always wanted to get a complete or near complete example. The french military is an awesome find BB. So also we now have an eye balled Que ball and a baseball bat. I will add a goal post to my wish list:laughing7: Come on 30 for 2013!! Laissez les bons temps roule'!!!

That red clay pipe bowl you found is first rate.

I want a football from a colonial site next. :D

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good stuff Buck. I could be wrong but I think there was another four hole bent coin posted within the last few weeks.

If you can find a link, please post it here. I'd love to see it.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For 2013 your well past my 13 years of Spanish silver finds!

PS: What's with all this "Buckleboy" stuff?

Call Sign. :laughing7:

Thought I'd mix it up a bit. Looks like it will already be a heck of a year-end post.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice bat! Lol

WTG guys on getting another silver and the button.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread