I FOUND A 53 GRAM NUGGET

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
However, I have not yet confirmed exactly what it is. Take a shot at what you think it is.

UPDATE: I FOUND A REAL 53 GRAM LUMP OF MELTED BRASS
Sorry for the disappointment, I'll just have to go out this weekend and find a real one.

Nugget.JPG
Nugget_Scale.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 8

ATpro5

Jan 4, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster,At Pro,Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully Gold And Not Brass! Fingers Crossed!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Considering where you live I would say GOLD way to go. River hunt or around old prospectors diggings?

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Brass is not a naturally-occurring mineral, it's an alloy of copper and zinc.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't wait to hear the verdict - Looking at the apparent diameter and thickness , I actually think it should weigh more than 53 grams. How did you find this ?

OP
OP
M

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't wait to hear the verdict - Looking at the apparent diameter and thickness , I actually think it should weigh more than 53 grams. How did you find this ?

Well, Argentium, it was on the bottom of a steep 10' cliff of exposed rock and soil. I recon it likely worked its way loose from the hillside over time. Needless to say, in Gold Country. But also, an area familiar with fires. Without giving the spot away completely, there are old mines nearby and nuggets are sometimes found by treasure hunters and casual observers.

Recently, I had in my possession, a nice 26.5 gram nugget. Though it looked much different, being a river find, the weight differential seems to be proportionally similar. But I'm no expert.

I'd be overwhelmed if it turns out to be Gold. But just the same, if it's not, it's a wonderful roller-coaster ride. :-)

Last edited:

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's a hummdinger, please keep us up to date.
ZDD

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting that checked out would be first on my to do list. Hope it's real.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you've handled gold before...what's you "gut" feeling ?

It has the look of gold to me, you are in gold country, I see a place near you named coarsegold.

That right there is one of the biggest reasons I got into this hobby, only since I did I haven't been to any of the gold areas...too busy finding old relics closer to me.

Get yourself some nitric to get the confirmation, or like suggested take to a coin or pawn shop, then on to the BANNER !

You should have nitric acid anyway, considering where you are. I'd get back to that exact spot ASAP. Gold concentrates in small areas.

I have a good feeling it is gold, SUPER AWESOME find.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, Argentium, it was on the bottom of a steep 10' cliff of exposed rock and soil. I recon it likely worked its way loose from the hillside over time. Needless to say, in Gold Country. But also, an area familiar with fires. Without giving the spot away completely, there are old mines nearby and nuggets are sometimes found by treasure hunters and casual observers.

Recently, I had in my possession, a nice 26.5 gram nugget. Though it looked much different, being a river find, the weight differential seems to be proportionally similar. But I'm no expert.

I'd be overwhelmed if it turns out to be Gold. But just the same, if it's not, it's a wonderful roller-coaster ride. :-)

That's quite the ride 0.25-$2500 and one test will tell what side of the ride will end up on. It's finds like this that keep the dreams burning in all of us.

okerraine

Mar 24, 2009
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
XP Deus Teknetics T2 Minelab equinox 800 CTX Firty Firty
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does it come up on your detector?

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
definitely weighty! hoping test pans out....

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
I sure hope it turns out to be gold. If I had found this nugget I would have gone straight someplace to have it tested. The anticipation is killing us. Get it tested already!!!

JimmeyC

Oct 15, 2012
N. Tonawanda, Amherst, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug, Garrett Ultra GTA 1000, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I can see, looks like gold to me! Look at it with a loop. You can often see traces of the native rock it fell from. The couple of angular edges look questionable but not out of the question. Hope it is!

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like gold to me. I would think brass, even fairly recently melted brass would have started to tarnish. Melted brass would likely also have all kinds if inclusions like sand, ash, etc... Unless you are the victim of a prank, you made a great find! Get the confirmation of Au and you've got my Banner vote!

Mason Jarr

Nov 23, 2012
Southwest Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab E-trac
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What brand/model of scale is that and where did you get it? I think it'll be gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread