Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
Spent about four hours in Newport Beach this morning. Started in the Balboa Pier area, then went to the end of the peninsula to the worlds famous body surfing spot "The Wedge", and ended up at the Newport Pier area. I spent many a day body surfing The Wedge in the 70's.

The big ugly ring states on the inside 14k 585. When I first looked at it, I thought it was brass, so I just put it in my pocket. When I saw the 14k when I got home I could not believe my eyes. I'm still not convinced that it is gold with all the tarnish on it.

Does 14k tarnish and discolor like this? Please advise if it looks like 14k that came from, maybe years, in a saltwater environment

Thank you for dropping by ... Good Luck on you Hunts this Weekend

pic1.JPG pic2.JPG pic3.JPG pic4.JPG pic5.JPG Ring.JPG

I just polished part of it with with Meguiar's Auto Polish ... It's starting to look like gold or a brass ring from India :) I'll need to test it or get it check out.
What do you guys think? Does it look like gold? The photos can be enlarged two times for a close-up look

P1030714.JPG P1030715.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 6

jcCALIF

Jun 13, 2012
Yorba Linda
Detector(s) used
TDI PRO, VX3, Surfmaster PI PRO, TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your find! By the way who needs a gym when you have a metal detector & the beach? I would love to see a pic of the ring after clean up. It looks like its' been at the beach for quite a long time.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're right: that thing is hideous. I will be a nice guy and volunteer to take it off your hands, without you even having to pay me! Great finds. I bet it cleans up very nicely.

OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your find! By the way who needs a gym when you have a metal detector & the beach? I would love to see a pic of the ring after clean up. It looks like its' been at the beach for quite a long time.

Thank You jcCALIF ... you got that right "who needs a gym". I must have walked 5-miles total today.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like it could be fake gold - venders sell fake stamped shined up brass as gold
lot of it in Cali.and Fla. bch spots - they also been selling nickel and stainless chains stamped 925
10k in salt water will discolor - very rarely will 14k
but have someone check it out

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to see it cleaned up (tested better yet ) I'm rather doubtful on this one - get back to us !

bountyhuntergirl86

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II & Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is pretty ugly... you shoud just give it to me :-)

OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to see it cleaned up (tested better yet ) I'm rather doubtful on this one - get back to us !

Hi Argentium ... Look at the two photos I just added and give me your thoughts. The pictures can be enlarged two times to get a better look. Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread