Upvote 7

Blueblood

Oct 10, 2013
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! I really need to do more coin history research. I have never seen one of these.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well , it is a very nice coin ! I don't have the expertise to comment on the value of it ( there are several varieties relating to hair/date)
excellent find !

silversurfer1111

Jul 14, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
GARRET AT PRO ..Whites Classic SL. . modified 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes its a 1000. $ coin but can get more then that if you wanted.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME!!! Tell your Buddy "congrats".
I'm sure the old coin guru's here will nail down the type, condition, and value. :thumbsup:
-MM-

OP
OP
dutchtoga

dutchtoga

Jun 28, 2012
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2se
Garret ATpro
Garret ATgold
Xp Deus
Nox 800
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Two more photos.

Attachments

• image-1994488973.jpg
    image-1994488973.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 283
  • image-1888945962.jpg
    image-1888945962.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 203

ATpro5

Jan 4, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster,At Pro,Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful copper

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Can't see the overdate but definitely has the extra hair curl at the shoulder, gonna say VF detail...but one thing I've been learning that when it comes to dug coins, detail isn't everything. You can have a coin with AU detail but if the surface is pitted and corroded, it really counts against the coin's value. An overdate 1800/1798 Draped Bust LC in VF retails (Red Book) for $1500, which means if you eBay it, you'd be lucky to get $700 for it. In XF, the retail value jumps to $3850, but again, a dug coin would be lucky to get a third of that, and I don't feel he has the level of detail to get XF.

EDIT: There are 3 varieties: 1800/1798 w. extra hair curl at shoulder; 1800/79 w.o extra curl, and 1800 normal date. Normal date is the most common of the three varieties, extra shoulder curl overdate is the rarest.

Last edited:

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Looks like a regular date, gonna say VF detail...but one thing I've been learning that when it comes to dug coins, detail isn't everything. You can have a coin with AU detail but if the surface is pitted and corroded, it really counts against the coin's value. An 1800 Draped Bust LC in VF retails (Red Book) for $550, which means if you eBay it, you'd be lucky to get $100 for it. In XF, the retail value jumps to $1900, but again, a dug coin would be lucky to get a third of that.

EDIT: There are 3 varieties: 1800/1798 w. extra hair curl at shoulder; 1800/79 w.o extra curl, and 1800 normal date. Normal date is the most common of the three varieties, extra shoulder curl is the rarest.

What he said. check ebay sold listings for similar coins. Of course, it could be a rare variety and worth a thousand dollars or more. It's decent for a dug coin, but those EACers are tough when grading old coppers.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is very common for people to over grade / value the coins that they find, it's pretty much the "norm". I've been a collector all my life, only a detectorist the last few years. So I tend to be realistic about the grading, but I will admit I also over value my finds in the sense that a 2 reale that I found might be worth 50 bucks I just wouldn't sell it for that because it is worth more to me to say this is what I found, and here it is. And that is why I haven't sold anything...yet, for the most part it's all worth more to me than what it is actually worth on the open market.

It's hard to put a price on looking back over your finds, remembering where you found a particular item, and how hard it was raining that day. Plus I like being able to show-and-tell. Don't get me wrong I've nothing against selling, and if I'm ever lucky enough to find something of any real value I will no doubt sell it. EXAMPLE. if I found a crusty button, and someone offered me 1700.oo for it...it would be gone in a minute.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats to your friend!

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does not appear to have an overdate. Style II hair , which puts it with the 18 different "Normal" date varieties. I have narrowed it down to 7,(besides the 2- NC vars.), which are extremely rare. Will have to look at it later. Hogge P.S.--- Coin has surface pitting, and details in "LIBERTY" are extremely worn. Probably a "FINE" grade. Variety will determine final value. If it is VF, it would be VF-20, or the lowest VF.

Last edited:

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a great find, but as a copper collector for more than 25 years I'd like to put my 2 cents in. The coin has what is considered porosity. Most of the die hard copper collectors would rather have smooth pristine surfaces and nice color over a higher grade coin. I've seen coins in Fine condition with great surfaces sell for more than technical AU's. It appears from the photos you have a technical grade of about VF30. It's a great coin to find and I wouldn't get crazed about the value, just appreciate what a nice find you made. I'm not a Sheldon expert, but as Hogge mentioned, if you happen to have one of the rare varieties you could have something worth much more. Collectors collect early large cents by die variety where each coin struck by a particular pair of dies is a variety. A rare die pairing could result in amazing prices. It's the same with the colonial collectors which is my specialty. Just an FYI, I joined EAC (Early American Coppers) back in the 1980's, was a founding member of C4(Colonial Coin Collectors Club) and was a contributor to the Redbook from about 1995 to 2003. I'm not an expert in early LC's, but do know a little.

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a great find, but as a copper collector for more than 25 years I'd like to put my 2 cents in. The coin has what is considered porosity. Most of the die hard copper collectors would rather have smooth pristine surfaces and nice color over a higher grade coin. I've seen coins in Fine condition with great surfaces sell for more than technical AU's. It appears from the photos you have a technical grade of about VF30. It's a great coin to find and I wouldn't get crazed about the value, just appreciate what a nice find you made. I'm not a Sheldon expert, but as Hogge mentioned, if you happen to have one of the rare varieties you could have something worth much more. Collectors collect early large cents by die variety where each coin struck by a particular pair of dies is a variety. A rare die pairing could result in amazing prices. It's the same with the colonial collectors which is my specialty. Just an FYI, I joined EAC (Early American Coppers) back in the 1980's, was a founding member of C4(Colonial Coin Collectors Club) and was a contributor to the Redbook from about 1995 to 2003. I'm not an expert in early LC's, but do know a little.

Porosity is the word I was looking for. I didn't see an overdate either but she definitely has that extra hair curl on the shoulder.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I surely concur with Hogge and doninbrewster, the coin is porous, it is worn, LIBERTY is worn as Hogge stated, porous means also corroded. It appears to have the die crack on the Obverse that is horizontal and to the left of the hair, and it also appears to have a die crack on the Reverse side from the foot area the second letter A in AMERICA to the top of the second 0 in the fraction, and the berry stem near the O in ONE points between the letters F(OF) and A(AMERICA).

With those features and a few others I think it is a Sheldon 206 variety, based on what I see in the photographs. Would like a 2nd opinion.

Sobo

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Ctx 3030, Omega 8500, AT Pro, Ace 150, Explorer XS, Explorer SE / Sunray Probe, Bounter Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Value aside, still a lovely coin and a great piece of history. Would be great in my collection :laughing7:.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lovely coin indeed ; Was it found in [ good ground]? and what if any cleaning did your friend do? Congratulations , to he or she. Davers

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pulled out Sheldon and it appears Don in SJ is correct with the attribution of Sheldon 206. Although some of the characteristics are difficult to see on both the Sheldon plate as well as the found coin, there is something else that stood out to me. On the top of the reverse there appears to be a die swelling along the rim from the A to the second S in STATES. This ends right in the middle of the letter S. The photographic plate of reverse Q in Sheldon's book also exhibits this same characteristic. As reverse Q is only married to obverse 12 for 1800 it does appear to be a S.206.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions