Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out today with Ironhorse, didn't think I would be as my Explorer has major issues and will have to hit the repair center. I decided I was done, but as the week went on I decided not to quit and borrow back a Garrett Ace I bought for a friend to use. So not only was this a kind or strange and lucky day, it almost never happened! Interestingly enough, the other 17mm version of this button find I currently have was also dug on a day I probably shouldn't have been out, but plans changed, I got the call, and out the door I went. That coincidence just hit me as I'm writing, but it's actually another connection I'll choose to write about, since I already filled in the subject line. :laughing7:

So IH and I get to a new field to try, him as usual with the Explorer, and me with my Ace. In a stupid way I was almost thinking I hope this is not the day we find a great site feeling that I was heavily outgunned, but those thoughts never stick because I would much rather see good stuff come out regardless of who gets it, then both of us go home with nothing. So we walk around this large field not getting much but some modern trash and the occasional old sign. I then see IH making his way to the other end, so I start to head that way and about half way there I get the famous Garrett belltone, like in the old days when I first started hunting.... dug it up and it was my first Merc dime. 13 years and it took an Ace 250 for me to find it, and at a place there didn't seem like there was much else. We did walk to the end of the field, got nothing, then made our way back towards the car and I dug two more signals and both were large cents! I'm thinking this 250 might not be so bad after all. :laughing7: Still not enough, and not old enough for our taste so we decided to hit an old favorite site and see if there was a keeper or two left. By this time, after 3 coins in a row my confidence was booming and just had that feeling I was going to dig something good.... but even with that feeling I didn't believe it because this particular spot has been hit hard for near 10 years. Anyway, we get to the 2nd site,make our way across the field, I start swinging over the iron patch and am sort of trying to digest what the detector is telling me, and within a few minutes dug a bell tone and the sound vanished once I got the dirt out, and my thinking was.... here we go, digging iron all day with this thing. As I was kicking the dirt back in the hole the detector swung back around and detected another target, this time it wasn't a belltone so I was more confident, dug the dirt and had a sudden flashback to 2001!

In 2001 I dug the best button I have ever found. It was a coat size Rev War King's American Regiment button with near all the gilt. I sent pics to a major collector who's reply was... The Detecting Gods have smiled upon you. Today when I found this button which is cuff size (17mm) seeing the gold gilt and then reading the words gave me a total flashback to 2001. So... it only makes sense that Mercury must be the Detecting God that collector talked about all those years ago. :laughing7: If you've read this far, and have read some of my previous posts you've probably seen me say a couple of times that it seems like history is repeating itself, or I am detecting back to the future. Well yet here is another hunt that has that same weird vibe, and makes me feel after my 2 years away from the hobby it was the right time to come back.

And without further ado.... Here is that awesome 1926 Merc dime! ;) But the button probably pays for the detector about 4 or 5 times over... not bad for the first day!

http://www.royalprovincial.com/military/rhist/kar/karlist.htm

Attachments

• merc.jpg
    merc.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 936
  • kingcuff.jpg
    kingcuff.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 890
  • king1.jpg
    king1.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 818
  • Loyalist Corps_htm_m32673cc1.png
    Loyalist Corps_htm_m32673cc1.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 598
Last edited:
Upvote 49
OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like the button "how to", short to the point, and pics. Got similar for the pewters ? Add it here.

Nope. An emery board nail file works well to sand off a bit of the crud but far from a great method.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent finds on the button and the mercury dime.

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOWWWWWWWWW...love that button----I WANT ONE !!!!

That's the awesome part of this hobby--the big surprises and not knowing what is gonna pop outta the ground !!!

Congrats on the BANNER !!!

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
After 10 years of detecting and owning nearly 20 different detectors over that time period, I began to realize that sometimes less is more. Sure, you can pay a lot for bells and whistles, but I think the best discriminator and ID comes from the processor located between the two padded speakers that are plugged into the detector.

I've scaled way back, giving up things like color screens, built in GPS units, Ferrous & Conductive ID numbers and I'm digging deeper & better things because my brain is telling me to.

Congrats on a remarkable find! The button is kinda neat too. :laughing7:

swamp yankee

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geat find! Best looking button I've seen on this site and anywhere else! See if you can find the rest. HH and good luck....

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Well Congrats on that little Silver :thumbsup:
Hat's off for working the Ace, I tried one once and couldn't find a darn thing, not for lack of targets, but the tones stumped me. Imagine using it for more than 10 minutes would help...
By the way that's a nice old button too. Keep em comin !

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An Excellent find :notworthy:& Congratulations on making BANNER! :thumbsup:

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
If you can get that minelab fixed let us know....I have 2 broken ones......... Last i heard they have no parts & want you to buy new 1s........Sad because when you really understand them they are really good........Nice shinny button !lol

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can get that minelab fixed let us know....I have 2 broken ones......... Last i heard they have no parts & want you to buy new 1s........Sad because when you really understand them they are really good........Nice shinny button !lol

I have the SE, and think they will still fix it as they sold them within the last couple of years. The XS I know they won't, and II have a feeling they won't... but I'll let you know this Winter when I talk to them.

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score ! WTG

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Top Member Reactions