medallion,1883, and mystery copper

TheDirtDiggler

Jan 10, 2013
Bergen County, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went out twice in the last few days these are some pics of what I came up with the spot is kind of far so probably wont go back . This is after about 5 hours of detecting..

CAM00235.jpg

silver St. Christopher medallion probably the nicest find of all the hunts at this spot, the wheat penny next to it is a 1917 in pretty good condition the picture from my phone doesn't do any justice..pretty sure that biggest buckle is an old one anyone that could date it.. that would be awesome. not sure what the metal w the screw holes in it is

CAM00205.jpg

second hunt I got the indian head penny and a silver quarter and this mystery copper ..

CAM00264.jpg

anyone have any idea what this is, I thought it was a coin but its so toasted I really cant tell if it is even a coin
the whole in it is squared
CAM00265.jpg

the mystery copper object weights 7.98 grams and is about 27mm in diameter pretty much same thickness as the quarter it has a very slight bend to the middle of it..anyone with any info would be great!

thanks for checkin out the pics, HH
-joe from jersey

Upvote 2

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The big buckle is IMO the best find, un bent, a nice shoe buckle frame, probably late 1700's.
With targets that old, and lots still left in the ground...I'd go back...and maybe get an old silver, etc.

EDIT, can't help with the copper, I just can't see, probably is a coin, can you crop a pic. down to just the coin and post up one of those ?

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds! Congrats! HH!

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The big buckle is IMO the best find, un bent, a nice shoe buckle frame, probably late 1700's.
With targets that old, and lots still left in the ground...I'd go back...and maybe get an old silver, etc.

EDIT, can't help with the copper, I just can't see, probably is a coin, can you crop a pic. down to just the coin and post up one of those ?

Rick is right, that 1700s shoe buckle is by far your best find. Not going back? I'd be pounding that spot! Nice finds, surely more there.

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007
I love that buckle....can't really see the coin....Very nice hunt ...Congrats

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
27mm could be anything from a King George halfpenny to a large cent depending on the acidity of your soil.

You found that, a silver religious pendant, a 1917 penny, and a silver quarter, and you won't be going back? Mind posting the location so the rest of us can take over? :tongue3:

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I had a site like that, My wife would have to bring me my lunch for a couple of weeks.

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I had that coin I'd have my peroxide heating up. It looks like the perfect candidate to clean up that way. Nice finds.

OP
OP
T

TheDirtDiggler

Jan 10, 2013
Bergen County, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well i wasnt planning on going back cuz its nearly an hour from my house but haha i guess ill be going back

i already cleaned it in peroxide but might give it another shot

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm surprised the hot peroxide didn't take the dirt off.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread