🥇 BANNER First GOLD COIN Today from the Field of Dreams!!!!!!

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
While heading out this morning to the Field of Dreams to meet up with Greylock, I knew it was going to be difficult to top last weekends Charles I Hammered Silver Penny, but I was hoping my good luck would continue. I got to the fields a little after sunrise. Hunting was slow for a while, a musket ball here, a broken Crotal bell there, until Greylock and I headed into an area of cut corn that I haven't ever spent a lot of time in. As I approached a high point in the field, I heard a strange low scratchy signal on my XP Deus. As I kicked the corn husks aside, I saw something shiny and round. This wasn't the shine of silver, it was the shine of GOLD! Looking right up at me from its resting place on top of the dirt was my FIRST GOLD COIN! I couldn't believe it. I called Greylock over to see and tried to get BrokenKnee's (who had just pulled in) attention. I didn't find much the rest of the day, but I was PUMPED. I did manage a couple Indian Cents, and a 1870's German 10 Pfenning. I never expected to find a gold coin in a farm field. Maybe I didn't surpass my hammered silver, but I think I equalled it! I can't wait to see what's next to be found in the "Field of Dreams."

The coin is a 1874 Gold $1.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 813
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 779
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 761
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,084
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 831
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 1,013
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 968
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 794
Upvote 87

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man! what an awesome find, I'm still waiting on my first Gold coin of any value.............
Congrats on a great find..............HH

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! Still looking for my first gold coin. Gotta happen sometime.

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Obviously, this is your year! A gold coin and, by the Red Sox gear you're wearing, a World Champion! Not sure which I'd like more, if I had the choice: the gold or the Pirates winning it all.

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
The Oak Tree Shilling earlier in the year, and now a $1 US gold from the 19th Century? Oxbow - 2013 has been really good to you. Congrats. Most would spend a lifetime hoping to do one or the other. You bang it out in one year. Good for you! So what's next? Chain Cent? Higley copper?

I was hoping for a Highly this Summer, but I didn't make it out to my Granby sites. A Chain Cent seems plausible, but for now I'm focused on a NE XII, VI or III :laughing7:

Halfdime,
I was almost as excited to find the gold coin as I was in '04 when the Sox won. Well, maybe not almost as excited, but I was thrilled to find that coin!

Hogge,
I'm glad to hear business is going well. I hope you're able to make it out this way again soon!

davehky

Jan 3, 2007
Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 garrette pro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
congrats on that dream find!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that's a beautiful site right there! :o
Congrats on your 1874 - $1 Gold coin oxbowbarefoot! :thumbsup:

Isn't this the most beautiful lady you've ever seen!
Dave

Attachments

• 1874 - $1 Gold Coin.JPG
    1874 - $1 Gold Coin.JPG
    9.1 KB · Views: 206
OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I was thinking about printing up a huge map and marking everything off - I remember where most of the good finds have been.....
have you tried asking to check some of those small fields immediately on the other side of 91 - those should be decent as well.....and if they really overhaul the dike system...that could get really exciting.....

Pete,
I have permission at one of the properties on the other side of the highway. I haven't had a chance to give it a whirl yet, but it looks very promising. Unfortunately, I've been told I cannot bring anyone with me as it was a family friend who is allowing me to detect there. I've been hunting with others recently, so I haven't thought much about it. I enjoy the company, so solo hunting isn't on the top of my list. I do hope to try before freeze-up though...
Sorry I didn't come say hi the other day, I had to make it home for a certain time and I was already running late. Did you guys find anything over where I saw you? I pulled a lot of goodies from over there this spring and a few earlier this fall.

swamp yankee

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on an excellent find,you the man! Just shows that people walked around with this stuff in pocket on payday instead of carrying the big "silver cartwheels" if possible.Great find,see if you can get some others too under big/old trees in the area.HH........

procali

Nov 16, 2013
BajaMex
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, ctx 3030, sdc 2300, Sovereign Gt, Excal 1000, x-terra 705, profind, propointer. Stealth 720i and 920ix
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible find boy! Keep it up.

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a bad payday.
Just looked it up in the latest coin values montly report - $300 ef $325 xf $350 au.
Congrats!

JCRIII

Greenie
Jun 25, 2009
Danville Va.
Detector(s) used
White & BOBCAT
Hi Thread,
That is a great find. Have you found out what its worth? You see them going from $350.00 up to $1,500.00 on the net. Looking at the last photo when it's cleaned up it look like it's in great shape. Some people look a life time and never find any gold coins. If it was mine I'd mount it and put it on a nice chain. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice little Princess :thumbsup:
Congrats and keep those goodies comin !!

Herbie,
Thanks for the comment! She came front he same site at my Mass silvers. Hopefully, I can catch up to your totals in both gold coins and tree coins at this site! I'm looking forward to seeing your next finds.
p.s. PM me if you want to hook up and try some sites out my way.

reddirtwillie

Jan 4, 2013
Mo
Detector(s) used
AT Pro / Whites Eagle II SL - Wilson/lesche/garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, now burn that Red Sox hoodie and it would be a perfect day! Congrats

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Congrats still looking for my first gold coin. Been hunting 20 yrs and no luck yet. It will come at some point.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread