Confederate generals button in my Colonial Field!

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Confederate general's button in my Colonial Field!

Had to take a case of relics back to a land owner today after adding some more finds to it for him. While there I thought I'd go out to the field to pick up some big pieces of iron that I'd dug up over the course of the year and get rid of those so they didn't damage the farm equipment next spring. Had to do a bit of digging while there, of course. Didn't find much, couple pieces of lead and last target was my Confederate general's button.....must have come off of General Robert E. Lee's gray-jeans........:laughing7:
Seriously though, anyone make sense of the little buckle looking piece? It seems a bit oddly shaped to just be a buckle. Thought at first it was a watch winder but the little "knob" on the side is flat and without hole. Hard to say if it had something broken off there or not.
Sorry about the CS plug in my title.....couldn't resist. Had to laugh when I dug it and brushed the front off in the field.
Happy Hunting all.

Attachments

• lee.jpg
    lee.jpg
    447.8 KB · Views: 93
  • lee1.jpg
    lee1.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 90
Upvote 3

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I always forget this, but Lee is a jeans brand. Their website had this to say about the company history:

"Lee Mercantile Company was founded by Henry David Lee in 1889, when Lee opened his first garment factory in Salina, Kansas, producing dungarees and jackets. In 1913, the Union-All work jumpsuit was created, followed by the first-ever "Overall" in 1920 - laying the foundation for Lee's early growth. Also in 1920, the Buddy Lee doll was launched for promotional use, but quickly became a popular play doll. Through the '20s, Lee introduced many new innovations to manufactured denim, most notably the zipper fly. Throughout the '30s and '40s Lee continued to build on their brand, becoming the nation's #1 manufacturer of work clothes. The decade of the '50s was a time of intense expansion for Lee as the company ventured into casual wear. Lee expanded its presence throughout the '60s, spreading to 51 countries and consolidating with VF Corporation in 1969. The company continued to expand its fashion lines throughout the '70s, '80s and '90s, launching Lee National Denim Day® in 1996. Today's Lee is all about bringing more fits, styles, finishes, features and choices than ever before to market."

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know what the back of the button looks like.. but - that looks like a early button from the Lee Mercantile Company, i would say sometime from 1890s-1910s.. Post a pic of the back if you can...

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your "whatsit" looks like part of a small spur. ( Where the leather strap fastens.)
Love the "General Lee" button!

OP
OP
silversweeper

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know what the back of the button looks like.. but - that looks like a early button from the Lee Mercantile Company, i would say sometime from 1890s-1910s.. Post a pic of the back if you can...

Will post a pic of the back when I get a chance, if you like, but it's not much to look at. When dug it was very similar to an overall button, which is what I thought it was at first. Unfortunately the iron "shank" or whatever it would be called on this type of button, fell off when I retrieved it from the plug. I didn't bother looking for it because it was basically just crusty-flakey rust. I know it's a very early Lee company button and not from the modern jeans co.. My thought when I found and brushed it off was that I wished I had the garment it came off of.
Would much rather have dug a CS button though.....LOL.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He is a personal friend ........ will let him know.
Robert E Lee 001.JPG

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice giving the land owner some of the finds! Now you've started something! The "Lee" jeans buttons will now be known as General Lee buttons! Lol! HH! Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread