Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't but hang in there someone will. Congrats! HH!

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know exactly what it is....... One I wish I had found judging by the date alone. ha ha....Anxious to see conformation on the exact ID. Congrats my friend.:icon_thumleft:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just gave it a quick look, how about M.37.6-B?

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats a pretty rare variety Don ...
I said that before I looked at rarity, but what I see seems to match however, the angle of the Reverse side can throw off what I see and of course the non viewable punctuation possible marks hurts in being positive, a lot missing. Is that a die crack on the Obverse? lower left.

OP
OP
leddel

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
yes the die blew out where the "C" & "T" in auctori worse than this example

Attachments

• M37.6-B obverse.jpg
    M37.6-B obverse.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 184
  • M37.6-B reverse.jpg
    M37.6-B reverse.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 200

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007
Nice find Dan....I need to find a good Connecticut Copper...especially a rare one like that..Congrats

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007
I've been great thanks...ya its been a while.. We need to get the gang back together... To show off some finds.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice going on the copper.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks Pepperj

Don how accurate is Whitman's encyclopedia with their census numbers , it states this coin variety
has a URS-4 rarity rating which translates to only 5-8 coins "known".

Well, it is more up to date than coinfacts, which just says Extremely Rare. I looked thru a bunch of old C4 auction sales catalogs and could not find one being listed in recent years, did not look on Heritage or Stacks though. I think more information on the variety will be forthcoming..

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it is more up to date than coinfacts, which just says Extremely Rare. I looked thru a bunch of old C4 auction sales catalogs and could not find one being listed in recent years, did not look on Heritage or Stacks though. I think more information on the variety will be forthcoming..

Coinfacts lists both by rarity and number known, so looking at the range of others that is R7 you can conclude the number known is likely from about 6-12. If Whitman's is more up to date than that it does point at it being a strong R7. Anyway, that's what makes sense to me, but is not always right! :)

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful coin, congrats!

3 of 6 GMG's

Oct 23, 2013
Detector(s) used
AP PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome once in a life time find for possibly you alone :-). HH

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet colonial piece.

OP
OP
leddel

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut

Don the pictures i posted of the other one came from a stacks auction back in january of last year , notice the final price ....

https://stacksbowers.com/Auctions/AuctionLot.aspx?LotID=305725

Coinfacts lists both by rarity and number known, so looking at the range of others that is R7 you can conclude the number known is likely from about 6-12. If Whitman's is more up to date than that it does point at it being a strong R7. Anyway, that's what makes sense to me, but is not always right! :)

Thanks IP does metal composition make them any more rare ?? this coin reads about 20vdi numbers lower that any of my other Connecticut coppers (13 of them) , they read between + 79 an +82 on my dfx while this Connecticut reads +58 very similar to an Indian head penny. this one also has that nice patina that we see on indian heads . what are the chances this coin is made of some debased metal or out of bronze??

Dan

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don the pictures i posted of the other one came from a stacks auction back in january of last year , notice the final price ....

https://stacksbowers.com/Auctions/AuctionLot.aspx?LotID=305725

Thanks IP does metal composition make them any more rare ?? this coin reads about 20vdi numbers lower that any of my other Connecticut coppers (13 of them) , they read between + 79 an +82 on my dfx while this Connecticut reads +58 very similar to an Indian head penny. this one also has that nice patina that we see on indian heads . what are the chances this coin is made of some debased metal or out of bronze??

Dan

No, what it reads on the detector doesn't make a bit of difference.

I'm surprised at the price, but that points at the numbers being right... only 5 or 6 known. I'm sure you wouldn't have any problem selling it for a good buck.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now THAT's a great coin find!!

Top Member Reactions