🥇 BANNER I LOVE THIS HOBBY.

Mi$terG

Jan 25, 2013
Eastern MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
I have only been at this for a little over a year and a half but I have been incredibly fortunate to be able to find some amazing old coins and some really nice jewelry while at the same time meeting some interesting and genuinely good people. I am also a big history buff and I love researching my finds. I have been working a 350+-year-old farm field that I was fortunate enough to get permission on- for about a month now. I have found some cool buckles and a few World War II era coins ('43 Merc, some wheats, etc) but what I've been really hopeful for is my first LC. So this past Sunday I got to the field at around 7 AM with my AT Pro. I was running in Pro zero mode with iron disc at 35 and wide-open- just listening for repeating mid and high tones. It's common for me to make my best finds of the day either in the first 20 minutes or my last 20 minutes of the hunt and this day was no exception. Only 15 minutes after I started sweeping the coil I got a solid silver dime hit at about 4 inches. As I dug the hole I was excited about the possibility of finding another Merc or maybe even a Barber. When I pinpointed the target it was an odd shape and bigger than a dime. It was also very thin. When I held it up to the sunlight I immediately recognized the Pinetree- then flipped it over to see "1652 XII." At that time I dropped to my knees and realized that I had a once-in-a-lifetime find- a colonial Massachusetts Pine Tree Shilling! Someone dropped this coin in this field a century before the Declaration of Independence! I will be going back to the farm again soon but I doubt that I will ever top this amazing piece of our history. I have already rinsed it off and put it in my son's collection where it has now taken over as the centerpiece. I wish you all the same luck that I had this past Sunday on your next hunt. Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• image-952613132.jpg
    image-952613132.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 946
  • image-3673674407.jpg
    image-3673674407.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 875
  • image-1973235100.jpg
    image-1973235100.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 765
Upvote 85

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing condition way to go

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holly crap, that's a mild version of what I first thought.
What an amazing example of a pine tree shilling... That is truly an awesome find !!
I'm going to give you a banner vote, no doubt !

Keep @ it and HH !!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Wow Wow! Congratulations! That is so cool to see on here! The greatest part of your post is where that rare piece of history will be going. Says a lot about you and the type of person you are. That is awesome and it sounds like it couldn't have happened to a better person! Great job all the way around

arrowhead82

Dec 12, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Inedible find!! gotta love metal detecting.
HH

leviathanrick

Mar 31, 2013
Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Absolutely fabulous find! It just doesn't get any better then that.

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing! I dream of tree coins. Got my banner vote

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking Banner

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like a fantastic Noe. 1 Pine Tree Shilling R.2 with the same die break in the example on the link.

Pine Tree Coinage

Great find! You have my BANNER VOTE! Congrats on getting some Massachusetts Silver!

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow........ Incredible find. The only possible bad thing is to think how hard it will be to ever top it. Heck, with your attitude and love of history you may just do it. Congrats and I am requesting Banner.:icon_thumleft:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
unreal. banner, no doubt about it!

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you kidding me??????????? Where the heck is mine!!!! Everyone else is getting Mass Silver. I've seen more Mass silver dug this year than in the past 5 years on this site. BANNER!

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love the condition! Even my Flowing Hair makes me jealous of that find. Wish I lived a little further north! Banner as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions