OP
OP
menotomymaps

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never ran across anything like that, could be anything from an old smokehouse/root celler to a burial mound.

I would probably see if I could get a small opening near the cap if possible. It might be completely filled in.

If you know anyone with a snake/drain cam that might be a good route to not disturb anything until you know what it is if you find an opening.

I'm trying to get in touch with a plumber via a buddy. This guy has an optical snake which I'd like to try to slip in under the piece of rail. Only problem, assuming I can even borrow it, is if it has to be plugged in or works with batteries.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the optical probes I've seen run off a Lithium Ion battery now. Good luck man. Very interesting

dirtfishingdave

May 2, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab ctx3030,Fisher f75, Whites DFX with Sunray probe, Fisher gold bug 2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche hand shovel, Raven from Predator tools. Detectors I used to use: Minelab explorer se, Fisher f
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did you try running a metal detector or gpr near this place? Or is this one of those places that forbids the use of one? I think I would probe it first, and then start a digging frenzy. I can't wait to see what you discover! Good luck, maybe a cache of gold and silver bars are buried here!

OP
OP
menotomymaps

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's on town land and MDing is allowed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
menotomymaps

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any updates?
Sorry for not updating sooner.
Went to city hall and talked to the head of conservation land. They don't know about it and say I can pretty much do what I want as long as I return everything to it's current state.
They didn't have much interest in it.

On Saturday I dug a few test holes and poked around. I can't get an optical snake (and I don't have one) in near the rail because there's no space.
It looks like about 5 feet from the top it is stone without mortar, so I think that will be my way to at least shine a light in there.

OP
OP
menotomymaps

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I showed my photos to an archeologist

Last edited:

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's interesting

Talondale

Sep 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was in the middle of an orchard maybe they stored apples in there?

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that you have found yourself an old cistern. But, it could be full of good old bottles. JMO The ones we have around here are about twenty feet deep so be careful and good luck. BTW, Great thread to follow.:icon_thumleft:
i agree

poorman15

Feb 24, 2013
South Central Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
-Minelab Explorer SE
Newest- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An old septic tank, be careful going in, might be a little crappy in there. Just joking, I'd be interested in seeing what it is too. Probably a cistern.

OP
OP
menotomymaps

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have snow and ice right now, so I've just been doing research on the area.

Last edited:

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most around here are in level spots

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sledge hammer, hand maul, couple good chisels, 30 minutes later and I'd been in there weeks ago. What are you waiting for Christmas? LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread