World War II Metal Detector

Ecominer

Banned
Mar 20, 2003
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gemini III; Garrett Master Hunter;2009 Minelab Explorer SE Pro; Quantro Discovery Land Tone Magetometer 1A;
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure can be found in the strangest places. Today I visited an Antique Store where I found a World War II metal detector which looked in pristine condition. It had the handle and head. A pack to carry the battery and instrument, and a box to carry all of the gear in. All in military green.

Has anyone ever seen one of these? Does any one have any idea what it is worth?

Walked a lot of miles looking for treasure, but never expected to find one in a store!

Upvote 1

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got two vintage MD'er that have to be at least 50's. Too bad you don't have a picture of the one you saw. I'd love to see it.

OP
OP
Ecominer

Ecominer

Banned
Mar 20, 2003
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gemini III; Garrett Master Hunter;2009 Minelab Explorer SE Pro; Quantro Discovery Land Tone Magetometer 1A;
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are right. I figured most people didn't know what a mine detector was any more. I will try to go back and get pictures.

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My dad modified one in the late 1950s and started relic hunting central Virginia with it. Good GOLLY the stuff he found and sold . . . (But I've still got a few of his early saves!)

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They say treasure is where you find it!

geologyjohn

Mar 18, 2009
West edge of the U.S.
Detector(s) used
WW2 mine detector, D-Tex Standard, D-Tex Deluxe, A.H. Pro Discriminator, various Whites, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher 1270, Fisher F75, Fisher Gold Bug,Tesoro Sand Shark. And maybe others that I forgot?
The first MD that I used was a WW2 detector that was powered by a 95 volt "B" battery. That was in 1966. I was 12 and it was a monster to carry around. You could build quite a collection of car hub caps using that machine, but that was about it. I was happy to move on to a commercial metal detector (D-Tex Standard, built in Texas).

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dad modified one in the late 1950s and started relic hunting central Virginia with it. Good GOLLY the stuff he found and sold . . . (But I've still got a few of his early saves!)
Your dad was a pioneer for sure. How many people wish they started hunting in the 50's.
ZDD

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
When I was about 16 a friend had a WWII mine detector. I don't remember what battery it used, but we didn't find anything smaller than a spoon or fork as I recollect.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread