🥇 BANNER INCREDIBLE FIND of the American Revolution recovered: BRITISH 71ST REGIMENT OF FOOT!

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys, I've found a very significant and amazing relic on my last outing. When I popped it out, it simply looked like a regular flattie but perhaps maybe a floral design on it but could not tell through the patina. When I got it home and soaked it, when I pulled it out it went from being a mediocre find to an absolutely terrific find dealing with the formation of our country! You'll recall that John Harris (Devonrex) found a beautiful British 76th Regiment of Foot button last year and was his first in his digging career.....well today, I can say, I've done the same and with a button that is absolutely gorgeous with silver gilt. When the button emerged from my cleaning formula, there sat a stunning British 71st Regiment of Foot (Fraser's Highlanders) button from the Revolutionary War. By all accounts, this was an elite unit, participating in nearly all the biggest actions of the War. What is coincidental is that the 76th Regiment of Foot was attached to the 71st :

"The two Scottish Regiments under Arnold's service, the 76th Foot (Macdonald's Highlanders) and the 80th Regiment of Foot (Royal Edinburgh Volunteers) were joined with a Highland force [71st Regiment of Foot] that the 76th and 80th men "revered as the elite of the army, who had fought and generally led in every action during the war." The combined battalions of the 71st by this point numbered only 175 survivors though fairly accurate numbers after the battle of Yorktown put the regiment at over 240 strong"

But unlike the 76th Regiment of Foot that went on to serve into the latter 1800's in other countries such as India, the 71st Regiment of Foot was disbanded after the War, making this button super special.

The unit was formed at Stirling Castle in the United Kingdom and then sailed to Boston in 1776 where several of its soldiers were captured in Boston Harbor by the Americans. However, the main body of the 71st did make it to land and they served in almost every major battle of the Revolutionary War, both Northern and Southern Campaigns: Battle of Brandywine, Battle of Long Island, Battle of Stono River, Battle of Kettle and Briar Creeks, Battle of Savannah, Siege of Charleston, Camden, Fishing Creek, Kings Mountain,Cow Pens, Guilford Courthouse, and the final Siege/Battle of Yorktown.

The units last major battle was also the last of the war: The Battle of Yorktown, where upon the field of battle, America won her Independence. As you can imagine, I am absolutely honored and proud to have dug this relic of such signifigance to our history; American History. To acquire a piece like this would be special, but to actually dig one, that means so much more.

The button is in fine condition still retaining the vast majority of its Silver gilting as well as a standup shank displaying the craftmanship that the British were known for. This button will hold a special place in my collection and heart, and the best part was the suprise....not wanting to field clean it and risk damaging it, I put it in my pouch and waited until I got home where, still not thinking it was much more than a flat button with possibly a floral design, I submerged it in solution revealing its true colors!

If you want to read more about the 71st Regiment of Foot, click on the link below:

71st Regiment of Foot, Fraser's Highlanders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

11159682576_5911fe0e1e_z.jpg

BRITISH 71st REGIMENT OF FOOT "FRASER'S HIGHLANDERS" REVOLUTIONARY WAR BUTTON

11159349413_05d9f3a6f5.jpg

11159379365_cb0f6114eb_c.jpg

11159466394_b8d58f63cc_c.jpg

Fraser1776officer.png

11159682576_5911fe0e1e_z.jpg

TRW56%20-%2071st%20Regiment%20of%20Foot,%201780%20Frasers%20Highlanders-700x600.jpg

index.php

modify_inline.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 43

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
While we are on the subject let's not forget my buddy Josh's Find here..

~Blaze~

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huge congrats on an epic, historical find. Nice pics and thanks for the link and info.

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Been ages since I've been on Tnet, this find gets the blood pumping and the urge to get out swinging again.
Congrats to you Josh, killer find.

HB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions