🥇 BANNER INCREDIBLE FIND of the American Revolution recovered: BRITISH 71ST REGIMENT OF FOOT!

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys, I've found a very significant and amazing relic on my last outing. When I popped it out, it simply looked like a regular flattie but perhaps maybe a floral design on it but could not tell through the patina. When I got it home and soaked it, when I pulled it out it went from being a mediocre find to an absolutely terrific find dealing with the formation of our country! You'll recall that John Harris (Devonrex) found a beautiful British 76th Regiment of Foot button last year and was his first in his digging career.....well today, I can say, I've done the same and with a button that is absolutely gorgeous with silver gilt. When the button emerged from my cleaning formula, there sat a stunning British 71st Regiment of Foot (Fraser's Highlanders) button from the Revolutionary War. By all accounts, this was an elite unit, participating in nearly all the biggest actions of the War. What is coincidental is that the 76th Regiment of Foot was attached to the 71st :

"The two Scottish Regiments under Arnold's service, the 76th Foot (Macdonald's Highlanders) and the 80th Regiment of Foot (Royal Edinburgh Volunteers) were joined with a Highland force [71st Regiment of Foot] that the 76th and 80th men "revered as the elite of the army, who had fought and generally led in every action during the war." The combined battalions of the 71st by this point numbered only 175 survivors though fairly accurate numbers after the battle of Yorktown put the regiment at over 240 strong"

But unlike the 76th Regiment of Foot that went on to serve into the latter 1800's in other countries such as India, the 71st Regiment of Foot was disbanded after the War, making this button super special.

The unit was formed at Stirling Castle in the United Kingdom and then sailed to Boston in 1776 where several of its soldiers were captured in Boston Harbor by the Americans. However, the main body of the 71st did make it to land and they served in almost every major battle of the Revolutionary War, both Northern and Southern Campaigns: Battle of Brandywine, Battle of Long Island, Battle of Stono River, Battle of Kettle and Briar Creeks, Battle of Savannah, Siege of Charleston, Camden, Fishing Creek, Kings Mountain,Cow Pens, Guilford Courthouse, and the final Siege/Battle of Yorktown.

The units last major battle was also the last of the war: The Battle of Yorktown, where upon the field of battle, America won her Independence. As you can imagine, I am absolutely honored and proud to have dug this relic of such signifigance to our history; American History. To acquire a piece like this would be special, but to actually dig one, that means so much more.

The button is in fine condition still retaining the vast majority of its Silver gilting as well as a standup shank displaying the craftmanship that the British were known for. This button will hold a special place in my collection and heart, and the best part was the suprise....not wanting to field clean it and risk damaging it, I put it in my pouch and waited until I got home where, still not thinking it was much more than a flat button with possibly a floral design, I submerged it in solution revealing its true colors!

If you want to read more about the 71st Regiment of Foot, click on the link below:

71st Regiment of Foot, Fraser's Highlanders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

11159682576_5911fe0e1e_z.jpg

BRITISH 71st REGIMENT OF FOOT "FRASER'S HIGHLANDERS" REVOLUTIONARY WAR BUTTON

11159349413_05d9f3a6f5.jpg

11159379365_cb0f6114eb_c.jpg

11159466394_b8d58f63cc_c.jpg

Fraser1776officer.png

11159682576_5911fe0e1e_z.jpg

TRW56%20-%2071st%20Regiment%20of%20Foot,%201780%20Frasers%20Highlanders-700x600.jpg

index.php

modify_inline.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 43

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow wow wow congrats on an amazing find and in great shape.

Dig until your arm falls off

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find deserves to be a banner

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't see them come out of the ground much better than that...congrats

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got an early Christmas present right there!

Very good condition, almost perfect! well done

Thank you very much Iron Horse, indeed an early Christmas present is exactly what I said upon its reveal.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a beautiful and amazing recovery. I'm floored by how great that baby looks. Great job and a huge congrats. You've got my banner vote

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a beautiful and amazing recovery. I'm floored by how great that baby looks. Great job and a huge congrats. You've got my banner vote

I appreciate it my friend :thumbsup:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is a button that saw the start of a country. Amazing find and write up. Thank you for sharing and congratulations!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When the button emerged from my cleaning formula, there sat a stunning British 71st Regiment of Foot (Fraser's Highlanders) button from the Revolutionary War.

Stupendous find! Congratulations!
Banner by me.

By the by, you might as well post the formula to your cleaning solution. After this one came out of it, you're gonna get quite a few requests. ;)

Nice!

Last edited:

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-BANNER!

Fantastic find! No question one of the best buttons I've seen posted in a long, long time! Huge congrats
-Ox

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rightous button there dude! I'm glad the plating held up better on the front than on the back with this button. Usually it's the reverse. I am going to submit my nomination now!

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW, that button is off the charts. Amazing condition and history. Great post, vote going in.
ZDD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread