Arkansas Relic Hunt: Tenn. Trio & Okie Friends-Lots of Relics & Big Cottonmouth-Video

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Arkansas Relic Hunt: Tenn. Trio & Okie Friends-Lots of Relics & Big Cottonmouth-Video

The Tennessee Trio met our Oklahoma friends John Freeman & John Jr. (J.J.) in central Arkansas on Dec. 1 to hunt CW sites. The Freemans scouted an old home site in the path of a large group of soldiers on Sunday morning. J.J. recovered a nice 1875 seated dime and 1865 IH penny there. They both recovered a few CW bullets there. Not a camp but a travel route.
We arrived about noon and the 5 of us returned to a site where many soldiers camped for a short period. We have recovered many relics from that camp but the finds are now getting thin. John recovered the center of an eagle breastplate and 2 eagle buttons in a little hot spot on Sunday afternoon. I dug part of a U.S. regulation spur and Josh wanted me to trade it to him for a .58 cal. 3 ringer-did not happen-LOL. First day finds are in the first pic. On Monday, we hunted the old house site on the military road where the Freemans hunted on Sunday morning. Dman recovered a piece of a lead bar used for molding bullets. It had “CO” molded into it. I dig a smaller piece of lead bar with “T L O” molded into it. John dug an early IH but the date was unreadable. Josh dug 3 Enfields with one being much smaller than the standard .577 cal. Our Monday finds are in pic 2 with the yellow box with an eagle button in it..
There was much excitement in the swamp woods when Josh almost stepped on a BIG live Cottonmouth. He just happened to see it in time. We never dreamed one would still be out in December. If you watch the video, you will see J.J. holding it up. Keep in mind that J.J. is 6 ft. 4 inches tall. The snake is shown when Josh first saw it in the last pic. That was a dangerous reptile out and active in December!!
We returned to the camp on Tuesday morning and hunted for 4 hours. This is probably the last time we will hunt that site. John dug a large two piece button with old English “A’ on a lined field with a wreath on both sides. It may be civilian. We all dug a few bullets and knapsack/harness brads. My best find was a carved bullet. Dman called me today and discovered that he had also dug a “tooth” carved from lead after cleaning his finds. Pic #3 is of yesterday’s finds.
We had a great time with our friends. No real outstanding finds but a great time and we dug over 100 relics total. We hope to do it again somewhere next spring. HH from the Tennessee Trio, John Sr., and John Freeman Jr. Enjoy the video. Quindy.

Attachments

• DSCN0844.JPG
    DSCN0844.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 249
  • DSCN0848.JPG
    DSCN0848.JPG
    970.4 KB · Views: 243
  • DSCN0850.JPG
    DSCN0850.JPG
    891.7 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_4563.jpg
    IMG_4563.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 274
Upvote 7

Wldbil

Bronze Member
May 10, 2010
Claremore OK
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250
Looks like you guys had some fun and made a few good finds. Thanks for the video!

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sounds like a Great time, ALot of nice relics a few bought lunches and some future snake skin boots. Whew, that's one nasty snake to be running across, good to see you all had a Great time. Bill

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great hunt wish you did not kill the snake though,you went to his home he did not come to yours.

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Bill. It's a lot of work to make the video + you miss hunting time as well. Glad you liked it. HH, Q.

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sounds like a Great time, ALot of nice relics a few bought lunches and some future snake skin boots. Whew, that's one nasty snake to be running across, good to see you all had a Great time. Bill

Thanks Bill (Nova Treasure). I hope you & Hillbilly get out to hunt soon but looks like the weekend will be a bust. HH, Q.

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
great hunt wish you did not kill the snake though,you went to his home he did not come to yours.

We normally leave them alone Jamey. With the deer season extending through this weekend and the way he blended in with the environment, we did not want an unwary hunter to bump into him on the way to, or back from, their stand in low light as it was unseasonably warm. Where we were, that snake bite may easily have been fatal. Biggest one i have ever seen. Thanks for looking, Q.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enjoyed your post and vid as usual Q. Always enjoy seeing the stuff you guys dig.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for a very well done video, Quindy! Well scored and edited. If we had a Treasy Award for videography and voice over, you'd be in for Best Something in a number of categories.

Treasury-press-room-bell.jpg

That snake was fearsome.

Check out this fat one: World's Largest Cottonmouth? | Outdoor Life

Story.jpg

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Bill (Nova Treasure). I hope you & Hillbilly get out to hunt soon but looks like the weekend will be a bust. HH, Q.

Yea, I hope we get back out soon, I have a couple sites lined up that will hopefully yield some CW finds. We do have a bad weather weekend coming in, but on the bright side I have a new F75 LTD in transit, due by the first of the week :icon_sunny:

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quindy,
Looks like another fun time was had by all, except that Cottonmouth. :laughing7: Josh should have taken it home and mounted it. That snake had to know bad news was coming his way when J.J. showed up.
Congrats to all of you on the relics. :hello2: Any word yet on that "A" button that John dug? Those two lead bars were cool finds too. :thumbsup:
We are so proud of Dman for making it through a whole year with no injuries. :tongue3:
Thanks for the great video,
Doug

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man what a fun time you guys had. That was a lot of relics dug. Enjoyable memories. Nice seeing you all wear the Tn orange. In the middle picture the brass piece that looks like it is off a horn mouth piece or something what is that? I have dug them as well and never known what they were for. I agree with Surf the video and voice over was really put together well.
Thanks for sharing the trip and taking us along!
HH
TnMtns

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big fun right there. Congrats on the great hunt. Gonna have to meet some of you guys some day. :icon_thumleft:

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
Excellent video Q. Loved the fact that all of you could get together and do what you like to do. I also like the good variety of finds!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quindy! :X You know how I hate snakes! And those things are mean nasty critters. That's the second one I've seen this week. Yours, and one of my FB buddies ran across one yesterday. Then yesterday I came across a little black snake while out in the woods. Those things are suppose to be gone for the year. Someone forget to tell them? lol But I guess with the temps in the 70's they're gonna be out and about.
You all look like you had a great time and ya found some great keepers! :icon_thumright:
WTG!!
Nana

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Road trip!! Looks like a fun outing with friends. I have some fond memories of hunting in Arkansas that include well over a hundred dropped bullets including a lot of Starr Carbine bullets and a variety of pistol bullets, plus a 20 lb Parrott shell that I almost didn't dig because I thought it was farm junk. Also, driving back to Pittsburgh I got pulled over for speeding in Indianapolis, but got out of it by giving the cop a couple CW bullets :laughing7:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! Looks like you guys weren't the only ones out hunting in the warmer weather. Yikes!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread