Quick hunt yields 2 cut coins.. I think?

Dan

May 18, 2012
Yorktown Heights, NY
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey rain day but warm. Quick hunt after work.. usual garbage and some zinc pennies. Then these 2, I thought they where trash and just stuck in my pocket. Can these be identified? I don't think they are silver, as they are not shinny like other silver change I found. However heavy in the hand. These might be the oldest coins (or partial coins) to date. Any advise on cleaning?

sorry for the poor pics. 1a.jpg 1b.jpg 2a.jpg

Upvote 6

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
One piece has the letters 'FM' who was the assayer in 1770 and 1771 on 8Rs of this style. The four pieces together should weigh about 27 grams if the coin is an 8 R; or half that for a 4R. "FM" , however was not an assayer on the 4Rs of this style (columns and shield).
Don.......

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are most certainly the real deal. 1700s coins for sure. Now if you're finding coins that old and almost throwing them away, you need to pay attention to the BRASS relics you're finding there! Some killer, valuable relics might not look like much to most. That's why it's so important that we educate ourselves if we are going to recover history! Any buttons come up at that site?

-Buck

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on those finds! They look like the real deal to me too. Can you post a picture with them beside a quarter? That would help us identify what denomination they were cut from.

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds!!!!

OP
OP
Dan

Dan

May 18, 2012
Yorktown Heights, NY
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the feed back. I did take a photo with with a quarter for comparison. Also the cut mercury dime, a cut wheat penny and what turned out to be a buffalo nickel(my first) also cut. The cut coins I believe rang up like zinc. As if they rang up like a silver dime I would have paid more attention. I intially took them as trash.

IMG_20131214_134639.jpg

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the feed back. I did take a photo with with a quarter for comparison. Also the cut mercury dime, a cut wheat penny and what turned out to be a buffalo nickel(my first) also cut. The cut coins I believe rang up like zinc. As if they rang up like a silver dime I would have paid more attention. I intially took them as trash.

View attachment 913139

'rang up like zinc' Thats why I keep telling people to ignore the VDU, learn the sounds only, that will be better than any display.

Very nice coins, I would be happy with them as well.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those pieces are cut from a larger coin, and 8 reale or possiblty a 4 reale. They should have rung up between a silver dime and a silver quarter. I would run them under your coil again. If they come in at zinc penny, I would question what they are made of.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True about the VDI for coins that are cut from 8R's like those are. Should ring up higher. BUT, even if they are counterfeits they are PERIOD counterfeits 200+ years old. VERY nice finds, and would be a prized find in any collection.

-Buck

dasabighole

Sep 11, 2006
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
Nautilus / Tesoro/T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd leave them alone! You dont have TIME to fool with them right now! YOU ARE LOOKING FOR MORE!!!!! Great Finds!

Flex68

Dec 10, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Currently researching to buy
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is not the type of coin I think you should be cleaning very much... :icon_scratch: Don't use baking soda or toothpaste on them, to corrosive if its not to late... They put hairline scratches on the coins... If your going to clean it, I'd use light electrolysis and shine it up a little with just distilled water after electrolysis... Make sure you watch it close and check it often, electrolysis can cause coins to pit.

Ditto on avoiding the abrasives for cleaning. And I have even ruined silverplate by being overly aggressive with the electrolysis.....as good as they look in the photo, you might wish to consider leaving in "as found" condition.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions