May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We drove back to one of our furthest farms & detected/gridded the last bit of a Roman Site. We were only expecting about 5 roman coins, so when we finished up we were more than happy, but we had no idea what the worst crusty coin was covering until we got home!

4 hour hunt.

I had 3 hammered coins which is a great day, but the roman made our week/month!

18 Roman Coins
Hammered - Henry VI Halfpenny, leaf on breast (type I need), Lizzy 3Pence, James I Halfpenny
2 Roman Fibula
1 nice Roman bronze Bead
Medieval 'star' horse mount
15th C Coin weight for a Gold Noble
2 Tudor Buttons
18th C Navy Button? (rose)
Bits...

THE DATED COINS OF CARAUSIUS

My star find is a dated coin of Carausius. As far as Dad & I can tell it is an unpublished & unknown legend of the above types. I will check with an expert, but the worst case is that it is Extremely Rare!
Mine varies from the known types because of it having 3 I's instead of 4. This indicates the 3rd year of his consul which makes sense if they already have a 4th.
IMP CARAVSIVS P AVG
PM TRP III COS I PP

UPDATE:

Response from the British Museum Expert:

It is indeed rare. I am rewriting the RIC volume for Carausius and Allectus and have recorded only one other specimen of this coin which is in an American collection – they share the same dies. Your coin is now safely in my 700 page corpus! It goes without saying that the BM would love to acquire this coin if you ever wished to sell it.

IMP CARAVSIVS P AVG; Radiate, draped and cuirassed right

P M TR P III COS I P P; Roma seated left on shield, holding Victory in right hand and spear in left

Mintmark: -//C

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    179.6 KB · Views: 265
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 246
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    193.3 KB · Views: 256
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    175.5 KB · Views: 267
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    197.4 KB · Views: 269
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    191.9 KB · Views: 259
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 250
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 254
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 288
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 289
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 298
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:
Upvote 29
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations guy.... Boy that didn't take long at all to get a response. So what are you going to do with it? Any idea what its worth at this point? I'll trade my logging road finds any day to hunt your fields. I'm happy and proud for you.... Brad

I keep as much as I can, once I have shown the farmer. But as a rare piece I have asked for a price so I can inform the land owner & decide how to square off the deal.:icon_thumright:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I keep as much as I can, once I have shown the farmer. But as a rare piece I have asked for a price so I can inform the land owner & decide how to square off the deal.:icon_thumright:

Good for you guy (and the farmer). You sound like a really great person and I wish you the best.... If you ever can share/or would I'd be interested in what something like that is worth or whatever's offered. Congratulations... Brad

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good for you and a big thank you from the rest of us. Without these property owners that allow us the honor of using there land we would never even have the opportunity to find things like that rare coin. Taking care of these people should be automatic but sadly it is not always that way. Without respectful generous people like you Cru these great sites will just disappear and these great finds will never be seen. Great job

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good for you guy (and the farmer). You sound like a really great person and I wish you the best.... If you ever can share/or would I'd be interested in what something like that is worth or whatever's offered. Congratulations... Brad

I'm not too sure the BM would like me to openly share prices, so I might need to keep that between the landowner & myself. I hope it's not too much, otherwise it becomes more of a headacre than a blessing. One thing I do know is that showing & telling all has not hurt our collection, only increased it.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not too sure the BM would like me to openly share prices, so I might need to keep that between the landowner & myself. I hope it's not too much, otherwise it becomes more of a headacre than a blessing. One thing I do know is that showing & telling all has not hurt our collection, only increased it.

I totally understand... and hope all works out great for everybody involved.... Absolutely great find... Brad

landmagnet

Aug 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grasping the significance of this find, and I understand the lack of 'glamour' attached to 'another roman bronze' but the fact remains that ONLY ONE OTHER IS KNOWN GLOBALLY !! My BANNER VOTE is therefore in. No doubt the BRITISH MUSEUM WOULD VOTE SIMILARLY!!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Further UPDATE:

I've now had my suspicions confirmed; that the US example has an unknown findspot. Making my provenanced specimen more significant.:occasion14:

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once again detecting overseas proves to be the holy grail of ancient History and the finds are just amazing!!! Great job ...... and thanks for sharing the pics! Keep on Digging

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. If I stop digging, I stop living...

housemom6

Jun 7, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum XT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It really is amazing how something that old can stand the test of time. I love seeing things hundreds and hundreds of years old. Great finds

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner find, congrats to you and you dad, on bringing into the light a missing part of history that has been in the dark for so long. You have a true love of finding and sharing that history, still top dog Cru! Glad it was you two that found it! Congrats!

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still shocked this isn't on the banner... :dontknow: If I could nominate it a second time, I would!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still shocked this isn't on the banner... :dontknow: If I could nominate it a second time, I would!

No worries, its probably not sexy enough, & I have my fair share anyways. I actually thought my silver fob stood more of a chance, that felt like a banner day when I pulled it from the mud!

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes the the fob was a pretty find! Very rare as well and more glamour. Sometimes things don't work like you think... :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread