Please HELP, Garrett GTI 2500 overload sound while changing searchcoil...

wayfas4u

Mar 29, 2010
Lee county georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett 2500 GTI, Garrett AT Pro & AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please HELP, Garrett GTI 2500 'overload' sound while changing searchcoil...

I am very familiar with my Garrett GTI 2500 and usually use my 9" searchcoil. Tonight I switched to my heavier 12.5" searchcoil, wrapped my cable snug against the extension pipe and made sure it is connected securely at the electronic end. As soon as I power on, the 'overload' sound comes on, the same same as if I pass over a very large metal object. As soon as I touch the searchcoil ON the ground, the sound goes away. Only when I lift it up just above the ground the sound goes crazy. Has anybody with a Garrett 2500 had this problem. Does anybody have any suggestions??

Upvote 1

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am very familiar with my Garrett GTI 2500 and usually use my 9" searchcoil. Tonight I switched to my heavier 12.5" searchcoil, wrapped my cable snug against the extension pipe and made sure it is connected securely at the electronic end. As soon as I power on, the 'overload' sound comes on, the same same as if I pass over a very large metal object. As soon as I touch the searchcoil ON the ground, the sound goes away. Only when I lift it up just above the ground the sound goes crazy. Has anybody with a Garrett 2500 had this problem. Does anybody have any suggestions??

Seems pretty obvious, if the 9" coil can go back on and work you have an issue with the 12.5. Maybe some type of short in the connection because typically a bad coil will not do that. Trying the 9 again is the starting point to diagnose your problem.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe one of the pins on the connector is bent/broken? Didn't get in the hole? I agree with Iron Patch, the starting point is to go back to the other coil as a starting point.
Does it matter what position the detector is in when you turn it on? Sounds off even if it's upside down?

Good luck!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To take it one step ahead, if the 9 does the same thing it could be the batteries losing contact. What you describe used to happen to me on my 1500. Pop em out, put em back in, and hold the power to reset when you power up. Sometimes it would take a couple times to snap the detector out of it.

OP
OP
wayfas4u

wayfas4u

Mar 29, 2010
Lee county georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett 2500 GTI, Garrett AT Pro & AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys thanks for all the tips and tricks! I put the 9" coil back on last night and it worked fine! Must be a defect in the 12" coil, I will have to look into it further! I really wanted to use the larger coil today because I had an opportunity to go to a really old site with some thick grass, but the 9" coil did fine!! Thanks for your time!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions