Early 1700s Cut Spanish Coin, 1600s Buckle, Early Leather Adornments And Other Stuff

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Met up with Bill D yesterday to do some detecting and/or door knocking. Our chances of getting on to an early site was slim due to hunting season but we figured we'd try anyway. The first site was off limits but our next site turned out to be devoid of hunters so we got to work. We immediately hit a large iron patch and spread out to do some cherry pickin'. Our hopes were high but the place screamed early and we knew in the back of our heads the site had probably been picked over. I found a few early leather adornments and pistol balls then I struck Spanish silver. It was a half of a worn Philip V but sadly it didn't come home with me. I probably lost it somewhere in the field :sadsmiley:. I also dug more adornments, pistol balls and a nice 1600s spectacle buckle. Bill found a nice copper but I'll let him show that.

It was a beautiful location and we were kindly invited to come back since there is a lot more land that will hopefully hold more silver for us.

12132013f.jpg 12132013g.jpg 12132013h.jpg 12132013a.jpg

12132013b.jpg 12132013c.jpg 12132013d.jpg 12132013e.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Upvote 16

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Nice digs and great photos. The reflection of Christmas lights look great.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice silver & the buckle is an early - mid 17th C type - good & early!

EnriqueMayor

Dec 13, 2013
Madrid
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh what countryside so nice! It is wheat fields?

Because size of the silver cob, it seems 2 Reales (This was intentionally broken), Mint in Segovia.
After cutting, the coin came to have half value (1 Real).

The rest of the findings are also very interesting.
The nails were manufactured in Spain until 18th Century.
The complete buckle is very typical of the Colonial 16/18th century. So is the broken buckle
Very pretty buttons & bullets.

T2 is the best :notworthy: :D

Congratulations Joe!!!!!
Henry

OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maravedindon said:
Oh what countryside so nice! It is wheat fields?

Because size of the silver cob, it seems 2 Reales (This was intentionally broken), Mint in Segovia.
After cutting, the coin came to have half value (1 Real).

The rest of the findings are also very interesting.
The nails were manufactured in Spain until 18th Century.
The complete buckle is very typical of the Colonial 16/18th century. So is the broken buckle
Very pretty buttons & bullets.

T2 is the best :notworthy: :D

Congratulations Joe!!!!!
Henry

Yes, it was a beautiful setting and a prime spot for an early Virginia home site.

I can't make out a mint mark on the coin. How can you tell it was minted in Spain? Most of the Spanish coins I find around here were minted in the New World.

Last edited:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That was a fun hunt Joey. It was perfect weather after a little chilly in the early going, and that site was definitely gorgeous. Good thing I took some pics of your coin before it pulled the disappearing act. But that was a short walk back to your car and I'm sure we can find it next time there. Looking forward to getting back and doing a little more exploring and probing. And I love that buckle!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice group of finds Joey. I like that buckle and the leather ornaments. As far as your coin being minted in Spain, I'm pretty sure the pistareens were made in Spain. Looks like yours was cut from a 2 reale pistareen.

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thats an incredible site to be swinging. I'll bet you find that coin again sooner or later.

PeteWmass

Nov 26, 2012
South Hadley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I detect in the same fields as hunters - perhaps a few hundred yards away - I can't see there being much confusion in a wide open field (as opposed to in the woods) -never had anybody say anything - I suppose if it was constant gunfire...its mostly just bird hunters where I am..at least this particular field......

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That buckle is fantastic and what a gorgeous site. Good for the soul spending time in a place that beautiful. Great hunt fellas

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have to agree with the post complimenting you on the reflection in your pics....very unique and beautiful. Don't you just love the patina on that buckle? Hope you find that silver again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome buckle, still looking for my first spectical buckle, Great looking spot too, are you sure you didn't through that half back into the dirt just for an excuse to go back and hunt there again.:laughing7:
I am sure you or Bill will have no trouble finding it again.
ZDD

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even though I want to call you an A## Hole for making good finds during winter...... Nice finds! :hello2:

holeDiver

Dec 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely. Wish I had weather like that were I'm from an yes beautiful. Buckle

Sent from my LGMS769 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PeteWmass said:
I detect in the same fields as hunters - perhaps a few hundred yards away - I can't see there being much confusion in a wide open field (as opposed to in the woods) -never had anybody say anything - I suppose if it was constant gunfire...its mostly just bird hunters where I am..at least this particular field......

A lot of the fields around here are leased during deer hunting season and they don't want us out there. Though I have detected in fields while the hunters were there, its a bit hairy when there's a couple dozen of them in woods shooting all around me.

OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zodiacdiverdave said:
Awesome buckle, still looking for my first spectical buckle, Great looking spot too, are you sure you didn't through that half back into the dirt just for an excuse to go back and hunt there again.:laughing7:
I am sure you or Bill will have no trouble finding it again.
ZDD

No, I've just been careless lately. I buried my pinpointer a few weeks back too. If I do find the coin though, I'm gonna count it as twice towards my quest to match Bill's old silver count!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
No, I've just been careless lately. I buried my pinpointer a few weeks back too. If I do find the coin though, I'm gonna count it as twice towards my quest to match Bill's old silver count!

That's fine Joey, but if I find that coin its gonna be tallied up on my side ..... haha!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds and beautiful scenery. Well done! We've slowed way down here due to business, but hope to get a couple more in during 2013. :)

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds! I really like the pic of nice bear ground with no snow!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread