one room school house

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hit an old mid 1800's one-room school house that is near my house. It borders a little league field and I have not hit it much but when I did I came away with some decent items. I hit it, a few days ago, before the snow, with my 2 friendsI hunt with a lot, Saltawer Max and Dave, and we have a good time when we go out! Max found a great silver spoon, Dave found a really nice button inscibed with a safety award, and I pulled a 44 merc and 4 wheaties. We all came away with clad and some other decent items. Good time with good friends, at my local hunting spot! How funny is it when you hit 'non-metalic' items metal detecting?!?! I found a marble and a small circle piece of rough cut stone glass in a hole with other stuff!

Attachments

• 2013-12-02 12.51.52.jpg
    2013-12-02 12.51.52.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 114
  • 2013-12-02 13.11.35.jpg
    2013-12-02 13.11.35.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 121
  • 2013-12-2 moon school coins.jpg
    2013-12-2 moon school coins.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 123
  • 2013-12-2 moon school misc.jpg
    2013-12-2 moon school misc.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 128
  • 2013-12-2 44 merc moon schools 1.jpg
    2013-12-2 44 merc moon schools 1.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 121
Upvote 4

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a perfect day to me! Nice finds guys

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Lovely Merc! :occasion18: :icon_thumleft: My son and I both enjoy the surprise marbles & nice intact old bottles that sometimes share a plug with metal. Andi

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds!!!!

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've hit a few old 1800's school houses and I never seem to find much - I was thinking, that children back then really didn't have coins or valuables on them. I have found a few old skeleton keys, which were cool, but not much at all for coins???? Any thoughts?

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! Nice detail on the Merc.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've hit a few old 1800's school houses and I never seem to find much - I was thinking, that children back then really didn't have coins or valuables on them. I have found a few old skeleton keys, which were cool, but not much at all for coins???? Any thoughts?

Ring Finder, I think you're absolutely right about kids not carrying much for valuables or coins like they do now. I also think it's very dependent upon where the schoolhouse is located on also by the size of the school. Some areas were much wealthier than others which would obviously provide a better chance of kids carting better items or coins. Perhaps the biggest factor is how many children attended the school and how long it was on operation. More people more chance of good stuff being left behind. Lots of these old schools only had a handful of children in them. Hope your next one gives you some goodies!

Flex68

Dec 10, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Currently researching to buy
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

You are likely correct about the kids generally not having a lot of coins or valuables on them, depending upon the area.
But many times the school buildings were also used as after-hours gathering spots, as well as local poll/voting sites. The adults who attended such functions should likely be where the best possibility for finds originate.
And--- ala "Little House on the Prairie"--- if a kid had just sold something for Ma and Pa, went out to play at recess and fell or tore a pocket or something....

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your exactly right, the kids in the 1800's wouldn't be going to the school lunch room to buy their burgers and fries would they. But that being said ol Nuggetnoggen did score quite a nice haul when he hunted one he had found.

ZDD

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the responses - All the school houses I have hit, have been rural communities. Probably low attendence and fairly poor. I studied some Pics of old 1800's britches at one point and noticed that most "pants" did not have pockets back then. Crazy stuff when you start looking into the past.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the video dave - Very good!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread