Ever have an embarrassing moment in this hobby?

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had one of those non-stellar days today. Not "bad", just not stellar. I did however turn up an old war nickel in pretty good shape. Unfortunately, I managed to scratch it right across the face. (rookie mistake).

I moved on and was semi-gridding the place. On the way back to the car, I turned up another war nickel. About the same shape, was right on top, and when I looked a little closer, it had a scratch also. Hmmmmm, interesting. Right across the face too! Almost exactly where I....................wait a minute!!! I checked my found pouch. No nickel. I had just found the same one, TWICE!!! oH! HOW embarrassing!!!! LOL

Thought if anyone else out there had done this, they would now not feel so bad. :)

HH!

Upvote 70

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was walking down a hill when I tripped over something. As I was running down the hill to try to regain my balance I dropped my metal detector and my pants fell down (I was going commando that day). When I finally hit the bottom of the hill, I fell to my hands and knees. So there I was on all fours with my bum in the air.

I would’ve cracked up laughing I love when people fall especially when they run to try to save it down hill. Pants falling down I would’ve paid to see it. Lmao

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG! 😲 Is my face red!!!

I stopped into a local store for supplies and along the way I scanned the parking lot on the way in, like I always do. Checked the coin machines, even the returns of the soda and candy machines. Nothing!

Got my stuff, 21.10. I paid and the clerk stopped me. He asked if I had anymore dimes like this!
He held up a pretty Silver Rosie that I'd just paid with...I stuttered and then lied no....that was my last dime. Trying not to show too much grief!:BangHead:

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Cannot say I've done that before, BUT when I used to have a Sunray inline probe, I cannot tell you how many times I'd forget to switch it from probe to coil and I'd be detecting for 5-10 minutes before I realized it was still on probe mode - lol

I also once found both parts to a gold rush era tongue and wreath buckle (fairly rare find out here) and somehow the female part fell out of my finds pouch while detecting and I've been unable to relocate it....sigh.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHADIFIND, the dime may have found its way into your pocket when you were sorting your silver. I have dropped wheats and couldn't find them, then later found a "penny" on the floor and put it in with my change, not checking it.

I think we all have similar stories.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHADIFIND, the dime may have found its way into your pocket when you were sorting your silver. I have dropped wheats and couldn't find them, then later found a "penny" on the floor and put it in with my change, not checking it.

I think we all have similar stories.

Oh I'm sure it was just a circulating dime. I just hadn't checked recently, didn't know it was in there.

The irony is a bit much though.

About dropping those old coins? I've been trying to convince people that these coins we find do *NOT* want to be found! Just watch and see if those professional hiders don't try to jump out of your hand AND....try to roll away and hide again! How many times has a coin jumped right back in the hole?

Watch 'em close!

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
lets see what i did today:laughing7:. i fell in the creek behind my house while it was 37 outside

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok...this is just a bump to the top. Please forgive me but I just figured that we all need to have *something* to help lessen the dismay in our world now.

Hope it helps someone to smile and/or have something to do while we all wait.

My prayers go out to everyone!

villival

Mar 18, 2013
Southern Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (Ophelia), Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
In 2013 I had discovered metal detecting and I was hooked. At the time, I was working at the Primate Center and the land had a very long and interesting history. I would metal detect after hours.

I was in the middle of my, er, addiction and really had to go to the bathroom but didn't want to walk all the way back to the building where the restroom was. As I was pretty much in the woods, I looked around, pulled my pants down and went.

I looked up in the middle of peeing to see a camera mounted on a post not too far from me. It went directly to the security check in at the front of the entrance. Oh man, the guys who manned the cameras were the same ones I had to see twice a day as I entered and exited. I almost died from embarrassment.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last week I got a spur of the moment permission from a guy who told me “ok, just this one time, you got an hour while I’m here, after that, that’s it no more”.... and also he wants to split what I find, had the feeling that he’d hover over me the whole time....
I thanked him for the opportunity!
I went to gear up, I realized I left my machine in my wife’s car the night before.

Dude says to me, “don’t come back”

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Last week I got a spur of the moment permission from a guy who told me “ok, just this one time, you got an hour while I’m here, after that, that’s it no more”.... and also he wants to split what I find, had the feeling that he’d hover over me the whole time....
I thanked him for the opportunity!
I went to gear up, I realized I left my machine in my wife’s car the night before.

Dude says to me, “don’t come back”

Ouch!
Too bad you didn't at least have a set of swim fins and a mask and a stick or coathanger in your trunk to walk around divining with while there...
Hey , you were leaving anyways...:laughing7:

Eris

Dec 30, 2019
Tri-Cities WA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My favorite uncle was a cop and a good man. He was one of the motorcycle cop in the president Kennedy motorcade the day Kennedy was assassinated. he had told me some story of thing he had seen said some were so bad he couldn't handle it and had to leave the scene. I still miss him a lot.

holepuncher

Oct 5, 2014
Amboy Wa.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro. Equinox.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In 2013 I had discovered metal detecting and I was hooked. At the time, I was working at the Primate Center and the land had a very long and interesting history. I would metal detect after hours.

I was in the middle of my, er, addiction and really had to go to the bathroom but didn't want to walk all the way back to the building where the restroom was. As I was pretty much in the woods, I looked around, pulled my pants down and went.

I looked up in the middle of peeing to see a camera mounted on a post not too far from me. It went directly to the security check in at the front of the entrance. Oh man, the guys who manned the cameras were the same ones I had to see twice a day as I entered and exited. I almost died from embarrassment.

Yep you gotta keep an eye out for them cameras any time you’re doing something you might get embarrassed about.

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple years back was out at an old wood mill site. Found a strong signal and dug deep. I saw rust and had dug multiple support pillars from the old mill so I gave up on the dig. Plus at the time I was miserable and covered in poison oak blisters so I wasn't in the mindset to be digging something I figured was junk. Next I go and sit in my car because life is pure misery whole you have bad poison oak, and suddenly I hear a ruckus outside. Turns out someone watched me dig and went to investigate and found something real good in the hole. I was already pretty defeated and that point and didn't bother to see what it was but must of been something good because I could hear people making a big deal of it. I was like go figure.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple years back was out at an old wood mill site. Found a strong signal and dug deep. I saw rust and had dug multiple support pillars from the old mill so I gave up on the dig. Plus at the time I was miserable and covered in poison oak blisters so I wasn't in the mindset to be digging something I figured was junk. Next I go and sit in my car because life is pure misery whole you have bad poison oak, and suddenly I hear a ruckus outside. Turns out someone watched me dig and went to investigate and found something real good in the hole. I was already pretty defeated and that point and didn't bother to see what it was but must of been something good because I could hear people making a big deal of it. I was like go figure.

I know your pain! Both of them.

Now, once I start a dig, I don't stop till I have cleaned the hole!

Nothing more painful than somebody walking over a hole you just filled in, only to find a large diamond that had fallen out of the ring you were Soooooo happy about a few moments before. Even if it was missing the stone! :tongue3:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't recall if I shared this one or not but I detect mostly urban green spaces. And since most detectorists look a bit grungy with our dirty jeans, etc....some people kind of wonder if we're homeless just scrounging for a few scraps in the park...:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

Well I was detecting the sidelines of a baseball diamond and finding mostly junk bottle caps, pulltabs, canslaw, etc...this young guy comes over on his bike probably 12 or 13 and asks me what I was finding, I told him mostly junk metal.

Anyway he kept coming around every once and awhile asking the same question over and over. Since I wasn't having much luck that day pretty much the same response again.

Well on his last visit he brought over an old aluminum framed lawn chair thinking I was scrounging around for scrap metal to scrape up enough money for my next meal...:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

Whenever I think back to that day it still puts a smile on my face.

Last edited:

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
Don't recall if I shared this one or not but I detect mostly urban green spaces. And since most detectorists look a bit grungy with our dirty jeans, etc....some people kind of wonder if we're homeless just scrounging for a few scraps in the park...:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

Well I was detecting the sidelines of a baseball diamond and finding mostly junk bottle caps, pulltabs, canslaw, etc...this young guy comes over on his bike probably 12 or 13 and asks me what I was finding, I told him mostly junk metal.

Anyway he kept coming around every once and awhile asking the same question over and over. Since I wasn't having much luck that day pretty much the same response again.

Well on his last visit he brought over an old aluminum framed lawn chair thinking I was scrounging around for scrap metal to scrape up enough money for my next meal...:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

Whenever I think back to that day it still puts a smile on my face.

Hahahahaha! I think we all want to know if you took it? [emoji23] I hope you were gentle in your rebuke. At least his heart was in the right place.

I had a cop ask me if I was homeless and lived in my car, lol. Kind of laughed since it was new at the time and she had run the plates showing it was a company lease [emoji2371]. She couldn’t quite see past the dirty clothing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread