Ever have an embarrassing moment in this hobby?

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had one of those non-stellar days today. Not "bad", just not stellar. I did however turn up an old war nickel in pretty good shape. Unfortunately, I managed to scratch it right across the face. (rookie mistake).

I moved on and was semi-gridding the place. On the way back to the car, I turned up another war nickel. About the same shape, was right on top, and when I looked a little closer, it had a scratch also. Hmmmmm, interesting. Right across the face too! Almost exactly where I....................wait a minute!!! I checked my found pouch. No nickel. I had just found the same one, TWICE!!! oH! HOW embarrassing!!!! LOL

Thought if anyone else out there had done this, they would now not feel so bad. :)

HH!

Upvote 70

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out in the country, and the tall grass was FULL of ticks. before heading back I took my pants off and shook them out. A few hours later, back at work, I realized my wedding ring was missing. It was in my pocket!! I raced back to the spot and frantically searched the grass with my detector until amazingly I found it! It is still the only gold ring I have ever found!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My coil was beeping with every swing (Fisher 1266), and couldn't find the target I just had in the hole. It turns out that a wheat cent had fallen out of the plug and lodged between the shaft and the coil on my detector.

Another time, I got a small hex nut that fell into a hole in my kneeling pad (aka green dollar store bath mat) and caused the mat to beep all the time. (No good when you're putting loose dirt from the hole on there!).

I have some more embarrassing stories, and some down right scary ones...but I'll save those for sharing over a few beers. ;)

TENNESSEEGAL

Aug 20, 2005
Oak Ridge, TN
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Minelab Excalabur 11
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well. since we're sharing. I was out detecting tonight and I had a pretty deep signal and at the bottom I found a piece of metal peeking out. when I rubbed the dirt off It looked like tarnished silver so I very carefully dug around it and elongated the hole so I could get it out without damaging it. I had to laugh at myself when it turned out to be some kind of ordinary metal strip and I placed my lesche digger in the hole and took a picture to share all my hard work for naught with my brother. After taking the picture I carefully filled in the hole and went off to search for better finds. I got a signal and knelt down to dig it and reached for my digger and it wasnt in my pouch. I searched all around me and got up and went back to where I was last and didnt see it. I stood there in puzzlement for a few moments and thought "Surely Not". Yep, I had buried my Lesche tool at the bottom of the last hole. Luckily I had my new found piece of "silver' to dig it out with. :D

image-2318831278.jpg

Attachments

• image-142409283.jpg
    image-142409283.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 1,027

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the early eighties I took to hunting arrowheads and showed up at the dig to show the guys what I had found. I than sat the cigar box down and later stumbled over it spilling the 20 or so arrowheads. I thought I found them all until digging later in the week, I found an arrowhead in the screen exactly like the one I had found previously. Then it occurred to me that I found the same arrowhead twice. It was a nice point so was worth finding again. If I were you I would count the nickle as two nickle finds in my totals! Just sayin!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the other week I was searching a defunct school & Stepped up with one foot
to a spot on the stone wall in order to get up on the bank.
unfortunately my foot slipped causing me to loose balance & fall.
I twisted so I wouldn't break my detector & landed like a dog on his back.
arms & legs up. after quickly standing & Hoping nobody saw me, I started back up quickly.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they should have been more embarrassed then me
few years back I was waer hunting at a fresh water spot I been hitting for years - headranger had no probs with me there cause I had helped he out a few times
I usually go in at this spot just after sunrise and get out before the lifeguards show up - the head ranger usually comes down early and combs the beach - i will tell him of any irregularities and give him any sharp objects and glass and cans I find
this one morning I was hitting out in like 6 feet of water - all you could see was top of my head and maybe 3 inches of snorkel
all of a sudden I hear yelling from shore - when i looked up there were 2 fire/rescue vehicles - 1 ambulance and 4 city police cruisers on the beach
they all start yelling at me - what the heck do I think I'm doing - I told them I have had permisson for yrs to hit here
one cop says that I'm trespasing - that signs say no one is allowed in the water withoutlife guards
I ask where that sign is - cause they recently put up signs stating - no lifeguards on duty - swim at own risk
the sign was right behind him
another said I was trespassing cause the front gate is locked - the front gate is just that - a gate - to prevent cars from going in at night - there is no fence on either side of the gate - so you can park outside and just walk around the gate
signs inside the gate state - no trespassing from sunset to sunrise
it was 1 1/2 hours after sunrise - and I told them i would be glad to go out and show them that sign - they threatened to arrest me
then they wanted my ID - I said its in my car - outside the gate - where i parked legally
these were all city vehicles - and i asked who called you - and once again I gave the head rangers name and then said - this is a state park - why isnt there a state trooper here? cause I know in the past that state guys have been po'ed when city guys trying stepping on their toes in here
I asked why all the crowd? for one TH'er
supposedly they got a call from a woman that said she thought she saw a dead body floating
now Im about 1 mile from the nearest house - and this is a forrested park
the only way you could see a body is if you were standing on shore
once again they say Im trepassing - and im surrounded - by the firemen and about 7 police
meanwhile behind them 3 different people are jogging with there dogs - 3 separate bicyclists ride by
2 old ladies are speed walking together - a couple of guys are walking down with their equipment to the fishing area
all this is happening behind them - they are all facing me and looking out towards the water
I asked if they would all turn around - and then say - I hope your going to arrest all them too
and you got to arrest that woman that supposedly saw a body - cause she would have been trespassing too
then the ranger shows up and asks what the F is going on - cause they never called his office and they cut the lock on the gate
to get in there and I say "Hi Bob!" and cops ask if he knows me he says yes and that I have permission to be there
Bob tells me i better beat it for now
but you know - i was standing in the water - not floating - and those guys never searched the rest of the place to see ifthere was an actual floater out there

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL The world is full of Mo-Rons :laughing7:

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casper, good thing your guy showed up and got you to leave. The cops were the ones caught in an embarrassing moment and you would have had to pay bigtime for that. We got a real problem across the bridge in portland oregon with bully cops. They have shot one guy at distance who was only in danger of commiting suicide with a pocket knife. I know one guy who was beat up and arrested on a mistaken idenity. I plan to drop to the ground spead eagle if confronted there!:BangHead:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is not how procedure should be followed.

I'd be inclined to follow this up.

Scottso

May 8, 2009
long island new york
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75se, Minelab Excalibur, Minelab etrac, Tesoro sand shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
many cpos abuse their power,I see them speeding all the time. I saw on speeding and eating a subway sandwich.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
many cpos abuse their power,I see them speeding all the time. I saw on speeding and eating a subway sandwich.
I have seen them flip on the light to get through traffic and back off when clear; repeating until they make it to subway apparently. :laughing7:

favored papa

Oct 6, 2009
mountain home Idaho
Detector(s) used
ace 250 dfx
Unfortunately there bad apples in every tree But I have worked with a lot of cops and most of them are grate people with a tough job. Unfortunately most of the people they enter act with all day are the scum of of the world. If in your work place you knew someone might want to kill you in the next hour how would you treat the next 10 people you meet. It is not an excuse just a fact of life. Cut them some slack when you can.

Scottso

May 8, 2009
long island new york
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75se, Minelab Excalibur, Minelab etrac, Tesoro sand shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
im not saying their bad, I have a friend who was a cop. He metal detects.:thumbsup:

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Bent over to dig hole at an old park (ended up being a 1965 Roosie) and pulled dirt out causing it to fly into my face.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bent over to dig hole at an old park (ended up being a 1965 Roosie) and pulled dirt out causing it to fly into my face.

Sort of like when my digging tool popped through a root and threw my find across the park. :)

Thanks, Mr Schulz, for bringing this post back to what was the intended topic. We have enough confab in this life, we need more laughter. :thumbsup:

HH!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PLEASE don't get me wrong - our police around here are great - I am actually registered with a bunch of the dept. in the area
and have help my own towns dept a few times
it was just this situation - I think they knew they looked foolish and were trying to turn it around
had it been some guy not from around there and that didnt know the rules and laws
then they could made him look the bad guy and told him - dont let it happen again
I been hitting this spot for over 20 yrs and knew most of the rangers
and returned a $500 radio that one of the lifeguards lost - so I was in good with him
the signs are right there though - no lifeguard on duty - which remains there even when lifeguards are on duty to cover them from law suits
and as soon as you enter the gate - there is a sign that says no trespassing between dusk & dawn and another
that says no one allowed in park after sunset & before sunrise
they just never read them - this is a state park and works independant from the city
they broke the rules by not contacting the ranger station and contatcting the state troopers
Im sure some one got repremanded for doing what they did
If they knew I was wrong they would have taken me in

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Early on in my detecting career, I dig my first target of the day and couldn't seem to pinpoint where the target was. I kept running handfulls of dirt across the coil and kept getting signals with every handfull.....but nothing there. Then I realized I still had my wristwatch on!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread