too cold to detect (pics)

scavenger

Oct 21, 2004
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre (Soon to be teknetics T2SE)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• scan0004.jpg
    scan0004.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 256
Upvote 0

DeadLizard7

Dec 16, 2004
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab 705
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver??? What do you know that no one else in the world knows? As far as I have read the only silver Jefferson Nickels are 1942-45 and were struck in a 35% silver alloy. Hmmmm...none of your pictured coins are within those dates.

Just an observation,
DL7

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Hey Scavenger, went to go out today but the car disagreed so I had to return home and clean the garage floor of radiator juice. Looking through my goodie bag in the garage I found this unlisted dbl strike today! It's a 2k3 cent over 2k mem cent. Darn mint problems. I'm gonna toss this in the toll basket and let the Illinois Tollway Authority deal with it...

Attachments

• unkndblstrk.gif
    unkndblstrk.gif
    11.5 KB · Views: 194
OP
OP
S

scavenger

Oct 21, 2004
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dead lizard, from what I understand silver nickles were silver up until 1964.
thats what I read.
Scav

OP
OP
S

scavenger

Oct 21, 2004
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well, just made myself look like an idiot. I got to reading closer and your right, only quarters and dimes were silver until 1964 nickles had a tad of silver in the war years.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maby you just didn't wake up today yet :D

C

Carl in CO

Scavanger, put your story and photo on E-bay, ya' never know. Then refer your buyer to me. I got something to sell him/her as well. :)

Cladius

Mar 8, 2004
Boys Boys play nice! Every one has to learn sometime. Some lessons more embarrassing than others. Cladius.

Kent in AL

Mar 21, 2003
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Fisher CZ-6a, ID Edge
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, the silver lining here is that you found a '41 nickel in pocket change. That's not an everyday occurrence. Congrats!

Kent

hurricaneplumber

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2005
Upstate NY
I even learned something today by reading all of this.
I've got piles of 64 nickels, sure wish they were silver.

The Jefferson Nickel
In 1938, the 25th year of the Buffalo nickel motif, it was decided to replace it with a new design. A public competition was announced with a prize of $1,000 to be awarded to the winner. Eventually 390 plaster models were submitted. Felix Schlag, a German immigrant who settled in Chicago nine years earlier, was announced as the winner on April 24th.
After modifications the design, featuring Thomas Jefferson on the obverse and his home, Monticello, on the reverse, was adopted for circulation. Mintage commenced in 1938 and has continued since that time. Certain nickel varieties from 1942 to 1945 were struck in a special alloy composed of 56% copper, 35% silver, and 9% manganese, to omit nickel which was in strong demand for war purposes. Several interesting varieties occur in the series, including an issue of 1939 with the inscriptions MONTICELLO and FIVE CENTS doubled, and several overmintmarks, the 1949-D over S, 1954-S over D, and 1955-D over S.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread