Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I almost talked myself out of today’s hunt as there were rain storms blowing through all day and even if it was not raining, the field was going to be a sticky mess. Considering the finds from yesterday and my limited time here, I went for it! I enjoyed a good 30 minutes of no rain then another storm closed in on me, I paused to look at the rain coming at me from a distance and just put my hood up and thought oh %^$& (insert favorite 4 letter word)! As the rain started pounding down I hit a great signal, at about 4” I flipped over a nice little coin and knew it was something special. Here’s the huge field that I have not even scratched yet, the Church near the middle of the picture is the center of this 1200 year old town that dates back to the Bronze Age. I viewed the satellite pictures of this field today and it looks as if there were 3 buildings on it.
1Mar07field.jpg

Here is a neat little piece of aluminum with a Zeppelin hallmark, they obviously built the Zeppelin blimp air craft including the Hindenburg and are still in business today. Dates to WWII.
28Feb07zeppelin.jpg

The relics, the silver hammered coin, a piece of older pottery, a button or snap, aluminum 1921 coin, piece of buckle, crusty coin no date, button, clay marble and an ornate clay pipe stem. I saw a piece of a clay pipe bowl that I did not pick up and now regret it.
1Mar07relics.jpg

A silver hammered coin and possibly my oldest Medieval hammered, I estimate 700-800 years old as it has symbols similar to my Bohemian Prager Groschen dating to 1320ish. Something weird about the coin is the silver that can be seen shines. I’m glad I did not have access to my silver cleaner or I would have dipped it. I will start researching it after I post this.
1Mar07hammeredO.jpg

Reverse of the hammered silver. I can see a rampant lion holding a coat of arms but, it may be wishful thinking. Other than that, I am not sure what to think about it. HH, Mike
1Mar07hammeredR.jpg

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Awsome Mike! Congrats!

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What else is there to say!!! Excellent Finds! The picture of the village in the back ground is very nice. Looks old............. !! Great job as always........I will have to make my way out that way sometime before I move on to my next life!!!! WTG ;)

The Seeker

D

dugupfinds

I have never seen that type of silver coin. However I think its probably 12-13th century.

I can see a face with a hat/helmet holding one arm up & in the other either a sword or a sceptre. (look at cicle on image for the mans face)

If you can't find out what it is, let me know & I'll phone a friend.

Attachments

• Presentation1.jpg
    Presentation1.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 443

dr-quest

Feb 25, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold, Whites XLT,Tesoro Stingray ll,Whites Surfmaster ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awsome cant wait to see what the field yeilds next.Just imagine who dropped that coin and why.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Mike, Mike, Mike,,, ;D You always find some of the coolest stuff. Congrats!!!
Continued Good luck, & Happy hunting~

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coin, and finds.

Looks like you're going to have to clean it to find out what it is.
Good luck and HH
Ken

D

dugupfinds

Kas said:
Nice coin, and finds.

Looks like you're going to have to clean it to find out what it is.
Good luck and HH
Ken

For anyone that knows coins (not me unless UK) will identify it no problem at all. Loads of detail & lettering. I would only clean that coin with spit. Anything else could damage its cost.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, you might need to hit that field a bit harder

HH
-GC

OP
OP
Bavaria Mike

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all for the great comments! The hammered coin has been IDed as an Andreas von Gundelfingen 1303-1313, that is all I know at this point. Just 7 years older than my oldest Medieval hammered silver coin, they could have been minted on the same day as they are so close in time. Dugfinds, you are on it hardcore, the face is of Andreas holding a sceptre of sort. Other than water and a fine toothbrush, my only cleaning solvent was spit, yes that's right, I spit in the sink and soaked the coin in it for about 20+ minutes, wiped it off and some of the black tarnish came off, also rinsed with water, LOL. I will not clean it or spit on it anymore. Unfortunately, this was my last hunt here for a few weeks and I only have about 3-5 more hunts here in the near future, maybe a few business trips back here if I'm lucky. HH, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread