Stavanger
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, Minelab Pro-Find 25
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi to you all. :hello:

On the 1. of January I did an amazing find, :headbang:
A find most detectorists will never get.

I found an early viking age sword! As soon as i realized what it was i carefully put it back in the hole and covered it back up.
Then I called my "state Archeologist" and told him about my find. He was very thrilled.

Today he came to excavate my find. (Third of January)
(You see, In Norway, all finds dating from before 1537 is automaticly protected by law)
And as he dug we found a complete sword (broken in 5 pices), 1 battle-ax and a scythe.
Even thou the person that was buried there is dissolved and not to be found, It is still most definetly a grave.

After he had removed the Items I checked the grave with my detector and there was still two pices left.
But they will be staying in the ground untill the summer. Then it will be a bigger excavation, as it might be more than one grave there.

Hope you like what I show you, and tell me if you want more pictures. EDIT; Check out page 5 for a lot more pics from the excavation
sverd ctx.jpg øks.jpg sverd pakket.jpg øks og ljå.jpg øks2.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 77

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Alida

Tenderfoot
Oct 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Utrolig stilig funn!! Good job :-D Hadde ikke gjort meg noe å finne en sånn en!

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We americans can only dream of finding that! Awesome recovery!

OP
OP
Bard Gauden

Bard Gauden

Nov 16, 2012
Stavanger
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We americans can only dream of finding that! Awesome recovery!

True, but I hope you can enjoy this find.
I know there are a lot of Americans that have Norwegian ancestors. You know 800 000 Norwegians moved to USA in the 1800's to live the "American dream".

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
Very cool find, definitely banner worthy... However I don't think its a grave. Bones don't deteriorate very fast... It takes human bones millions of years to decompose without some kind of help, that's why we find them from Neanderthals... Why am I the only one who noticed this ??

cause you're the only one who believes in evolution. But i am also surprised that there are no bones.

OP
OP
Bard Gauden

Bard Gauden

Nov 16, 2012
Stavanger
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find, definitely banner worthy... :icon_thumleft: However I don't think its a grave. :icon_scratch: Bones don't deteriorate very fast... It takes human bones millions of years to decompose without some kind of help,
that's why we find them from Neanderthals... Why am I the only one who noticed this ?? :dontknow:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

This is a very shallow grave, maybe 1/2 foot deep In a very wet climate. :mad:
The soil is very nice for farming, and no clay. Animals (cows and horses) and farming can have crushed the bones and speeded up the process.
It is most definetly a grave and possebly a part of an unknown grave site. As I got several similar Iron signals/targets close by.

But we did not excavate the entire grave, so we might find som bones when the bigger axcavation takes place :icon_thumleft:

dbag1969

Jun 15, 2013
Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonderful find!! I salute you for your honesty and integrity. Judging by the loamy wet soil conditions I am surprised the iron artifacts hadn't completely corroded or rusted away long ago . A very good save indeed!! Congrats on the banner find!!

Last edited:

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was a shallow grave it was likely dug up at one point by wolves or something... Then erosion, farming and livestock reburied the items over time. Wild animals could smell it a mile away if it was that shallow. They would just dig a small hole that would easily refill naturally later, then pull the body out... Even if the bones got ground up you would see plenty of fragments and whole bones still. No way can cows and horses grind up bones under dirt into nothing, the farming may have done something with it but... I guarantee if a body was in there you would find evidence of its bones, fragments of clothing, armor and such. I guess I should not have said that it was not a grave... I guess I should have said, just no body in it... No need to make mad faces, just trying to put the puzzle together like you guys.... :icon_scratch: Please keep us posted if you find any bones or signs of bones or signs of a body... I would love to see pictures of that stuff too !! You should see my skull collection... Trying to buy a human skull from a science donation place.... Not morbid or anything I just like skulls and bones, they fascinate me.... :dontknow: Just like history and historical finds like everyone else here...

Keep @ it and HH !! :laughing7:

Last edited:

ossi

Nov 3, 2011
Pannonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO INTERNATIONAL (Nel hunter)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Naturally big congratulation banner .:hello2::hello2::hello2:

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing discovery, well done BG. This is why the archaeologists on this side of the pond must learn to work with the Metal Detectorists rather then againts them.
Again well done and congrats on a Banner discovery.
ZDD

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You dug up this grave, in the middle of winter, in Norway, and the ground wasn't frozen? That's almost more amazing than the find! :notworthy: Well, not really! :laughing7: Great job! Let us know future developments.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Bard Gauden

Bard Gauden

Nov 16, 2012
Stavanger
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was a shallow grave it was likely dug up at one point by wolves or something... Then erosion, farming and livestock reburied the items over time. Wild animals could smell it a mile away if it was that shallow. They would just dig a small hole that would easily refill naturally later, then pull the body out... Even if the bones got ground up you would see plenty of fragments and whole bones still. No way can cows and horses grind up bones under dirt into nothing, the farming may have done something with it but... I guarantee if a body was in there you would find evidence of its bones, fragments of clothing, armor and such. I guess I should not have said that it was not a grave... I guess I should have said, just no body in it... No need to make mad faces, just trying to put the puzzle together like you guys.... :icon_scratch: Please keep us posted if you find any bones or signs of bones or signs of a body... I would love to see pictures of that stuff too !! You should see my skull collection... Trying to buy a human skull from a science donation place.... Not morbid or anything I just like skulls and bones, they fascinate me.... :dontknow: Just like history and historical finds like everyone else here...

I see your point, and I see I need to explain a few things. ;)

First off, this site lays about 300 feets from a site belived to have been the living area for thousands of years.

The grave have most likely been covered by rocks, but removed later for farming reasons.

This was only a 3 hour emergancy excavation to remove the items I exposed to the air when I discovered them, so the soil was only checked for metal fragments. There is still a few Items left in the grave that I located with my detector after we were done.

You dug up this grave, in the middle of winter, in Norway, and the ground wasn't frozen? That's almost more amazing than the find! Well, not really! Great job! Let us know future developments.

We are lucky this year and have had a warm winter with a temprature a few degrees above the freezing point. :occasion14:

Irony

Jan 4, 2014
Southeastern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett EuroAce, Dalyn digger, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!! Who's going to be able to top that find? Huge congrats, and they better let you participate in the excavation. And hey, if you need another detectorist, I've got a EuroAce and not for nothing is my name Irony - I'm really, really good at finding big chunks of iron!! Send a plane ticket! LOL!! :-)

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Great find Bard :thumbsup:.Will be nice to see the sword handle when cleaned up. I've had two Viking handle parts over the years, but never the blade.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to say, most viking graves have rocks on them... :icon_thumleft: Then I thought they would have been moved for the farming... So maybe the bodies were taken out when they moved the rocks?? :dontknow: Cause if it was only a foot deep or so, the plows would tear up/out the body in a minute.... Even a horse drawn plow.. :icon_scratch: But I see animals dragging the body out way before it was ever farm or livestock land....

Keep @ it and HH !! :laughing7:

Last edited:

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
WOW!!! Who's going to be able to top that find? Huge congrats, and they better let you participate in the excavation. And hey, if you need another detectorist, I've got a EuroAce and not for nothing is my name Irony - I'm really, really good at finding big chunks of iron!! Send a plane ticket! LOL!! :-)

Dude I found Hoffa. Lol still in awe over the find. Be cool if they find alot more. The Vikings were the true explorers. Alot of innovation from that time period was a result of them.

Findersweepers

Nov 11, 2012
Lakeland Fl
Detector(s) used
ATPro,pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes, I want more pics and of other items you found near the grave site.:thumbsup::tongue3::notworthy:
You sir have set the bar high for the rest of us. way to go!!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bard Gauden

Bard Gauden

Nov 16, 2012
Stavanger
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes, I want more pics and of other items you found near the grave site.:thumbsup::tongue3::notworthy:
You sir have set the bar high for the rest of us. way to go!!!!

Found this german viking age coin 500 feet from the grave 15 days ago :icon_thumleft:
profilbilde.jpg profilbilde2.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread