Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Dan and I finally had an opportunity over the weekend to get out for the first time this year. We hit a new site in an area where I had researched a few 1600s land patents hoping to stumble across an early homesite. We did our usual "divide and conquer" in an attempt to find a nice hotspot, but it seemed all we could dig was aluminum can slaw. While we were returning to the truck along the far side of the field we started noticing a little brick and iron. Soon after Dan dug a little chunk of pewter, and I soon followed with part of an early pewter button. We decided to slow down and when a few buttons and buckle pieces started showing up we decided to grid the area. It wasn't long before I surprised myself with a nice colonial silver coin - half of a 1737 one reale pistareen. Dan wasn't having any of that, and only about 10 min later he called me over to witness him recover a possible piece of silver after hearing that nice high-pitched squeal on his AT Pro. I watched as a silver coin fell out of the plug, and it looked identical to the one I just dug. We put them side-by-side, and it appeared they came from the same coin. How cool would that be!! I took some pics in the field, but later we both noticed a few subtle differences that proved they came from separate coins. Too bad as that would have been a very rare occurrence. I also recovered a couple of coppers including a Va halfpenny and a slick colonial, a few buttons, several buckle pieces and musketballs, plus an interesting lead seal with the letters "B?". I was also pleased with the end of a trifid spoon handle which dates to 1650-1700. We also got into a small fire pit but it proved to be mostly unproductive. Dan made a bunch of nice finds as well which I'm sure he'll post later. Even though we did not duplicate our banner day from the first hunt of last year, it was still a great way to start the new year and will hopefully be an omen for the remainder of the season.

Attachments

• 010514a.JPG
    010514a.JPG
    194 KB · Views: 306
  • 010514b.JPG
    010514b.JPG
    197.7 KB · Views: 268
  • 010514c.JPG
    010514c.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 296
  • 010514d.JPG
    010514d.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 258
  • silver match1.JPG
    silver match1.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 311
  • silver match2.JPG
    silver match2.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 305
  • 010514e.JPG
    010514e.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Upvote 18

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Nice digs Bill. Good variety of quality finds. I always liked those half cut Reales. That must be number 3 or 4 for the year, only 21 more to break your record!
-Evan

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortés, Tejón, Cibola, Cutlass II, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Killer Bee's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wonderful hunt!! missed the meeting last tuesday, Great article in the new American Digger Magazine. Congrats

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortés, Tejón, Cibola, Cutlass II, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Killer Bee's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
disregard that part, i thought you might have been part of the nvrha

love the colonial finds

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds !!!

Still looking for my 1st cut coin.

And yes ...you are very fortunate to able to still go hunting at this time of year !!!

IT IS FREEZING IN CANADA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice digs Bill. Good variety of quality finds. I always liked those half cut Reales. That must be number 3 or 4 for the year, only 21 more to break your record!
-Evan

Thanks Evan. No way will I even come close to 24 this season unless I stumble across a cache. But you never know .....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread