Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Dan and I finally had an opportunity over the weekend to get out for the first time this year. We hit a new site in an area where I had researched a few 1600s land patents hoping to stumble across an early homesite. We did our usual "divide and conquer" in an attempt to find a nice hotspot, but it seemed all we could dig was aluminum can slaw. While we were returning to the truck along the far side of the field we started noticing a little brick and iron. Soon after Dan dug a little chunk of pewter, and I soon followed with part of an early pewter button. We decided to slow down and when a few buttons and buckle pieces started showing up we decided to grid the area. It wasn't long before I surprised myself with a nice colonial silver coin - half of a 1737 one reale pistareen. Dan wasn't having any of that, and only about 10 min later he called me over to witness him recover a possible piece of silver after hearing that nice high-pitched squeal on his AT Pro. I watched as a silver coin fell out of the plug, and it looked identical to the one I just dug. We put them side-by-side, and it appeared they came from the same coin. How cool would that be!! I took some pics in the field, but later we both noticed a few subtle differences that proved they came from separate coins. Too bad as that would have been a very rare occurrence. I also recovered a couple of coppers including a Va halfpenny and a slick colonial, a few buttons, several buckle pieces and musketballs, plus an interesting lead seal with the letters "B?". I was also pleased with the end of a trifid spoon handle which dates to 1650-1700. We also got into a small fire pit but it proved to be mostly unproductive. Dan made a bunch of nice finds as well which I'm sure he'll post later. Even though we did not duplicate our banner day from the first hunt of last year, it was still a great way to start the new year and will hopefully be an omen for the remainder of the season.

Attachments

• 010514a.JPG
    010514a.JPG
    194 KB · Views: 305
  • 010514b.JPG
    010514b.JPG
    197.7 KB · Views: 267
  • 010514c.JPG
    010514c.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 295
  • 010514d.JPG
    010514d.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 257
  • silver match1.JPG
    silver match1.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 310
  • silver match2.JPG
    silver match2.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 304
  • 010514e.JPG
    010514e.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Upvote 18

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds. :notworthy:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, that's an excellent hunt. Would've been a real thrill if those two cut pieces went together. Man, they are close!

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have cabin fever so bad and looking at this stuff doesn't help. Nice hunt.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Man, that's an excellent hunt. Would've been a real thrill if those two cut pieces went together. Man, they are close!

Thanks Buck. I've only been able to find matching cut pieces once, and that was a real fluke (see in pic below). It was at my coin spill site a couple years ago. I found the matching piece about 2 months later at a great depth with my new GPX-5000. I'll never do that again.

coin spill site coins.JPG

Last edited:

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great hunt, bill! Awesome detail on those cut silver. Too bad they weren't a match. Really cool you have found matched cut silvers before. That's almost impossible it would seem.

flyinryan2

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2011
Winchester, VA.
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, 8.5"x11" DD coil, Super Sniper coil, Garrett Ace 250, 10" x 14" DD EXcelerator coil, Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunt guess. Great coins.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed, if you got the matching pair I would have bannered it!

Still a great day!

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice finds congrats Bill HH

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds Bill! Just like clockwork...hunting season ends and you start pulling old silver. The bale seal and trifid handle are really cool too. Good thing you checked that side of the field!

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.......also, you dig more Va halfpennies than anyone in this state. They're not as common as you claim they are.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another great hunt for you. Any of those finds would be welcomed here. Thank you for posting such nice pics too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Bill D that is one hunt to get you motivated for 2014
2thumbsup.gif

Sweet how that Pistareen almost lines up perfectly..Probably the same person who cut both..

Those our some sweet buckle frags to we just dont see them around here much..

That should get the Colonial Nectar flowing..

Blaze

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
.......also, you dig more Va halfpennies than anyone in this state. They're not as common as you claim they are.

Thanks Joey. I've lost count on my Va halfpenny total, but I think its somewhere in the 30-35 range. Its strange how I seem to dig those all the time, but almost never find a British copper. That one I found with you a couple weeks ago was my first in quite a while.

BTW - I've been trying to contact you for several days via email but haven't heard back. Wasn't sure if you were having problems with that or what. Hope to chat with you soon.

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds Bill - man that was a fun way to start the season off. The AT Gold was humming, but I do appreciate you not mentioning the couple of dandy finds you sniffed out behind me - opps I just did that.

Had a good time as usual - it is funny how we seem to always sniff out the right site on a piece of property.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice hunt Bill.
Find two halves of the same coin once was beating the odds for sure.
I once found two halves of an arrowhead at least a couple of weeks apart, so I don't think we should expect that sort of thing to happen again, but it surly could...what a hobby.

Glad you are able to hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread