Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Feb 2005
    Amber Waves of Grain!
    White's MXT Pro, White's XLT, Tesoro Tejon
    5 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Very Unusual Finds

Hi there, I will post these as "finds" because in a way, I did find them. I actually bought these bullets at a shop in Jacksonville, FL. I used to buy Civil War Bullets by the handfulls at wholesale price. Anyways, I used to take a toothbrush and water, and gently brush off the fine powder that covered them while leaving the patina. I was brushing off the powder off this minnie and i saw the words "The Yank Killer" emerge from the oxidation. It was written in ink about 140 years ago. The other bullet is a .69 Caliber smoothbore musket ball. I was cleaning it off like I do with all the rest of my new bullets and I noticed weird marks in the lead. I looked closer with a magnifying glass and I realized that they were cloth marks! Some poor guy actually got hit by this HUGE bullet. In my opinion it is kinda creepy to own something that probably killed someone.

I guess I really didnt "find" them, but I "discovered" them. Let me know what you all think. Thanks and H.H.!!

Fox
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    If you search long enough, you will find what you are looking for.

Research Guru

Jan 2005
    Tampa, Florida

Re: Very Unusual Finds

don't despair about the cloth marks, they are most likely from the wadding! still some very cool "finds!" 8)
    "Wisdom comes not from knowing everything, but  knowing from whom to ask!"

Professional Dirtfisher!

Nov 2004
    Ohio

Well, if u remember, civil war guys used to write stuff on their bullets
    It is easier to ask FORGIVENESS than permission.

us
    Feb 2005
    Amber Waves of Grain!
    White's MXT Pro, White's XLT, Tesoro Tejon
    5 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by omnicognic
    don't despair about the cloth marks, they are most likely from the wadding! still some very cool "finds!" 8)
    I had thought about the wadding as being a possibility as well, but then I ruled it out when I fired a ball out of my .58 caliber muzzleloader with a wad. When I recovered the ball, I found that the cloth marks had been worn almost smooth by the force of the gasses behind the bullet. Also, the cloth marks were on the impact side of the Civil War ball. If I can get my camera to work, I will post a picture of the ball from the side. HH

Fox
    If you search long enough, you will find what you are looking for.

Carl in CO

Cool story! Guess you know which side fired the bullet with the ink on it. I couldn't see it in the picture. Seems like it would have some additional value to a collector. If I had that, I'd have it mounted in a case. Great conversation piece.

The Civil War Bullet

Sep 2004

Thanks for sharing I would love to see more pics.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Chuck Haislip
    The Civil War Bullet
    http://www.cwbullet.org

us
    Jul 2004
    Indy
    Cz3d
    1 times

Very cool Fox,,,
    I just dug my first 3 ringer the other day...
    Didn't think I would ever find one here in the middle of Indianapolis, What a rush...
    Just thinking about the last guy to ever touch it was like you said probably over 140 years ago...
    I sent you a PM about the jar, also...
    Good Luck & Happy Hunting~

Jun 2004

cool finds Fox,Best of luck.

us
    Ace250man

Jul 2004
    Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let me detect!
    ace 250
    80 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)

cool finds, even if they was bought. id not worry about if they killed someone. that was a long time ago, lol.
    ALLEN

Sponsors