Odd find at over a foot deep. A silver makeup compact, but nothing else around it.

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I decided to hit a field that I haven't detected thoroughly on a property I've had permission on for going on a year now. Main reason? There are modern bullets everywhere. Literally everywhere. But today I finally came across a large, deep sounding target. I finally get it out after a foot down and revealed what I thought at first was a coin purse. My blood pumping, I scan the hole again...more! I thought for sure a bunch of silver coins. But it was just the front plate to it. The piece is a silver plated, what I'm guessing is a ladies make up compact. The front plate with shield appears to be real silver, because there is no flaking even after soaking in lemon juice, just became shinier. I finally opened it up when I got home and saw the reflective glass, which was broken.

Now what makes me extremely curious is the fact that I searched all around it, all throughout the field and no signs of anything civilized from the time period. No buttons, no coins...nothing! Seems almost intentionally buried. What I'm wondering is if another part opens which could contain coinage? I'm afraid to bust it up too much because the piece in itself is so pretty. Hm, decisions, decisions. Thanks for looking and HH.

ForumRunner_20140110_191809.png

ForumRunner_20140110_191827.png

Upvote 6

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I wouldn't bust that up, it's pretty nice looking. Hope it contains some hidden treasure. You just need the secret combination :-)

wayfas4u

Mar 29, 2010
Lee county georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett 2500 GTI, Garrett AT Pro & AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
now that's a nice find!!! interesting!

Stripeythecrab

Apr 4, 2013
WI, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ooh! Very ornate. Is that blue material on top of the patterned silver?

BRD

Mar 26, 2004
Congratulations, very nice find. Keep hunting, there are more good targets in the area, I could almost guarantee.
BRD

OP
OP
matt092079

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations, very nice find. Keep hunting, there are more good targets in the area, I could almost guarantee.
BRD

I'm sure. I have to dig everything. And I intend to when I have a full day to detect it.

OP
OP
matt092079

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ooh! Very ornate. Is that blue material on top of the patterned silver?

Yes. Not sure exactly what the blue material is, though. There's a small scratch in the shield and it doesn't reveal any brass underneath. I'm almost 100 percent positive the center of the face plate is genuine silver and not plated like the rest of it.

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Years ago I used a radio shack detector to locate buried thrash piles at old home sites. I was only trying to add to my bottle collection.
One evening I dug an art deco sterling compact.
The rest is metal detecting/addiction history....lol,very nice find sir!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Matt,
That's a very nice compact. I've dug a lot of compacts over the years, but never one that nice. :thumbsup: Must have come from a well to do lady.
Great find,
Doug

OP
OP
matt092079

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone. I really like it.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, if I found it I think I would leave it intact, looks like a compact (I don't know for sure) very pretty, be a shame to bust it up.

StevePa

Sep 6, 2012
Lancaster, PA
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 di pro sl
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is pretty cool. Don't find something like that everyday.

Steven

Michellets

Nov 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Ace 250 Big and Small coils, AT-Pro
I'm thinking it was worn as a locket because of the way it looks, and the size of the object. Interesting, and would like to see better pictures of both sides of each of the pieces... HH. M.

Last edited:
OP
OP
matt092079

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking it was worn as a locket because of the way it looks, and the size of the object. Interesting, and would like to see better pictures of both sides of each of the pieces... HH. M.

I think they were kind of a locket of sorts back then, used for multi-purpose, carrying change, powder their nose and such. They had chains usually connected to them. Perhaps the chain is nearby.

OP
OP
matt092079

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thing definitely opted as a coin purse. There's a round notch under the glass mirror where a coin or coins would have been. I will definitely have to go back to this spot and dig the hole back out. Possibly could be coins deeper in the hole that the detector just wasn't picking up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread