My first silver coin found metal detecting!

Truk58

Nov 9, 2013
Butler, PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
10 Jan 2014, First Silver, 1948 Rosie.jpg 10 Jan 2014 3 hour hunt at home.jpg

I have been metal detecting since late November, although not very many times out, probably 15 to 20 hours total so far. The weather hasn't been very good. Found a few wheat cents all in the 1950's, about $4.00 in newer coins, and old axe head and a brass gas light wall assembly, some other cool trinkets, but no silver coins yet... until now. Just learning the AT Pro, but the signal was bouncing between 79-83, 8" deep on pin point, signal was in between many other beeps that were stronger, the high pitch one was repeating though, but not from every angle, I dug a deep plug with my spade, about 6" deep, ran my pro-pointer around bottom of hole, lead me to a ball of dirt at bottom, then I saw it, a shiny glint of metal, and it was round, popped it open and finally I had found a silver coin, a well worn 1948 Roosevelt dime. I am happy to show it off, and hope there will be a few more silvers to follow in 2014. This is a really cool hobby, I wish I had started years ago.

Kurt
Butler, PA

Upvote 10

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job Kurt! Always feels great to see that shiny silver in the hole. Just wait til you start hitting the oldies. Keep up the good work

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first silver! There will will be plenty more! HH.

OP
OP
T

Truk58

Nov 9, 2013
Butler, PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Ahab8. I have been researching a bunch of public places that I plan to hit when the weather gets better, also, going to try to line up permission to hunt on private property, but I will wait until the ground thaws. I notice that from my own yard hunting, digging in frozen ground, it is hard to repair and make look like it was... and I don't want to do that on someone else's property.

digemup

Jan 26, 2013
Southside, VA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, Garret Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job! I remember my first silver...i just found a 56 Roosevelt 2 days ago.

65chevy

Aug 3, 2013
Very nice. Nothing like that first silver. Hands shaking heart beating. Don't worry it never gets old. Great job!!!

GOD BLESS!!!

OP
OP
T

Truk58

Nov 9, 2013
Butler, PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your first silver Digemup, more to come, be sure.

OP
OP
T

Truk58

Nov 9, 2013
Butler, PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks 65Chevy. I want to get back out today, but it's raining here in the Pittsburgh area. I don't mind that the top couple of inches of ground is frozen, but don't care to much for the mud and slop. Sunday is supposed to be rain free, I will be out and hope to find #2. Thanks again and good luck to you.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Ahab8. I have been researching a bunch of public places that I plan to hit when the weather gets better, also, going to try to line up permission to hunt on private property, but I will wait until the ground thaws. I notice that from my own yard hunting, digging in frozen ground, it is hard to repair and make look like it was... and I don't want to do that on someone else's property.
Good call buddy. You never want to mess up a property. I do mostly very old sites that are in the middle of nowhere but if you plan on hunting a fair amount of public areas I'd definitely recommend a book called The Urban Treasure Hunter. This book will help you a lot in learning what to look for and seeing opportunities that most would miss. I have it myself because it includes tons of tips that will help anyone regardless of what type of treasure hunting they're into. Good luck out there

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I wish I had started this years ago, nice finds. You off to a good start.

StevePa

Sep 6, 2012
Lancaster, PA
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 di pro sl
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your first silver coin. You will never forget it. I am in Lancaster, Pa. Happy hunting.

Steven

OP
OP
T

Truk58

Nov 9, 2013
Butler, PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the advice on the book, I will try to find one.

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! many more to you. :icon_thumright:

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG on your first silver. :icon_thumleft: May it be the first of many. Keep digging!
(And hurry spring.)

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread