Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Went back to the field that produced my 1912 City of Philadelphia FD button yesterday. Scored a beautiful SLQ (my 2nd) and another KGII:

SLQ.jpg KGII.jpg

The soil in my area is not kind to copper coins in general, it seems to be vicious in this one area. I can see a 3 in the date under a scope, so it's either 17_3 or 173_. Either option is possible as KGIIs were minted between 1730-54. My second SLQ ever, first silver for the year, is in awesome shape. Shame it's not a San Francisco mint, though, but I'll take it!

:occasion14:

Upvote 5

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful SLQ!

Congrats & continued success to you.

Jeff

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's the young head 1729-1739. If it was the old head George II, ending in VS which it seems to be, the only option by what you wrote would be 1753.

OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's the young head 1729-1739. If it was the old head George II, ending in VS which it seems to be, the only option by what you wrote would be 1753.

Interesting... so it's a 1730s date. Thanks for the info! How can you tell the difference in heads through all that corrosion?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting... so it's a 1730s date. Thanks for the info! How can you tell the difference in heads through all that corrosion?

Yes, 1730s.

I've seen both a million times and it's not from looking at any one detail, more the over all shape. It's actually more obvious to me when I don't open the pic because when the image is small it's very close to the actual size of the coin.

OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I find it ironic that anyone else who finds SLQs usually finds dateless silver slugs, and the only two I have ever dug were damn near perfect coming out of the ground.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, the "phase" was with you. That quarter is so beautiful, could you show us a cleaned up pix of both sides. Those coppers are so cool, such a shame the soil and fertilizer cooks them so badly. I want to find more of both of these coins and join the 1700's coins club.

OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds, the "phase" was with you. That quarter is so beautiful, could you show us a cleaned up pix of both sides. Those coppers are so cool, such a shame the soil and fertilizer cooks them so badly. I want to find more of both of these coins and join the 1700's coins club.

Is that gonna be the new catch phrase?

"May the Phase be with you!" Lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread