Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Folks, I made my third trip to the house I’ve been detecting at the last few weeks.
This yard continues to give up some nice surprises, but is making me work for them by digging through a lot of trashy areas. Some of my recoveries were: 1941 Merc, 1925 Buff nickel & a no date Buff, 10 Wheats (41 total so far), a “STERLING” flower, silver piece of jewelry, early 1900’s (?) bracelet, flower sash buckle, etc.

My BEST FIND though turned out to be a “Southern Cross of Honor / Daughters of the Confederacy” medal. This is very neat historical Civil War piece that was given out to those that fought in the Civil War. Some were giving out during CW times, and some post-CW. Chances are mine is post-CW, but still a great find.
Please check this link out for more information and better pictures:

Southern Cross of Honor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am hoping to track it back to the original family member since the property I found it at has been in the same family (black) since the late 1800’s.

Enjoy the video:

Thanks for looking and any info or input would be greatly appreciated.
Happy hunting,
Modern Miner

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 249
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 229
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 275
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 258
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 230
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 176
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 189
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 192
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 223
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
Upvote 21
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't sing the praises any louder than others have already, so just know I am extremely JEALOUS, lol.

That buddy. :thumbsup: I went back over to the property today. Didn't find the name plate yet, but I dug more neat relics. I will try to post tomorrow.
I also talked to the grandson a bit about his families history. He did in fact have two relatives that fought in the CW. I have the great grandmothers name, but not the great grandfather or great-great-grandfather. To be continued.......
-Doug=

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're just like the Energizer Bunny Doug. Great dig's. Anyone in their right mind would like to have that Cross in their collection :icon_thumright:

Thanks Joe. :thumbsup: I have missed my old detecting spots back in the Raleigh area since we moved to the Asheville area over a year ago. No CW action here and I miss digging CW relics. :dontknow: I've been hitting older houses (early 1900's) around here, but they are about 100 yrs newer than what I'm used to. :laughing7:
Do you still live in that house where you and your Mrs were digging up all those nice relics a few years back?
Good to hear from you,
Doug

Relic Ron

Mar 18, 2009
Rockwall, Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX, Shadow X2, Fisher 1280, AT Pro
Great finds! I too found a Southern Cross of Honor a few years back, and like you didn't know what it was until I got home and realized it was missing the name plate. Thinking I didn't recheck the hole, I went back the next day only to find the bulldozer had wiped the ground clean....never did find it.
Again very nice saves.

RR

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! I too found a Southern Cross of Honor a few years back, and like you didn't know what it was until I got home and realized it was missing the name plate. Thinking I didn't recheck the hole, I went back the next day only to find the bulldozer had wiped the ground clean....never did find it.
Again very nice saves.

RR

Ron,
Way to go on your medal find. :thumbsup: That sucks about the bulldozer. I had a bulldozer wipe out a spot that was a CW camp where I was digging up some great relics. It was a race against time, and now the spot is paved over. :BangHead:
If you have time to post a few photos of your medal I would love to see it.
Thanks for the reply.
-Doug-

Relic Ron

Mar 18, 2009
Rockwall, Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX, Shadow X2, Fisher 1280, AT Pro
Ron,
Way to go on your medal find. :thumbsup: That sucks about the bulldozer. I had a bulldozer wipe out a spot that was a CW camp where I was digging up some great relics. It was a race against time, and now the spot is paved over. :BangHead:
If you have time to post a few photos of your medal I would love to see it.
Thanks for the reply.
-Doug-

Here you go Doug, the buckle was found on the same lot. RR
photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find there! I once dug a medal from the Sons of Union Veterans up in Indiana. Was on a dig at an old mill site with a guy who got a GAR medal. At any rate, they make great display pieces.

Cheers,

Buck

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Rooster.I thought this was pretty interesting. I guess I better not wear it.

"Although no Civil War veterans are still living, the last verified Confederate veteran dying in 1951, Virginia Code section 18.2-176(b) remains in effect and makes it a Class 3 misdemeanor, punishable by a fine of not more than $500, to "wear any Southern Cross of Honor when not entitled to do so by the regulations under which such Crosses of Honor are given."

Very nice finding the medal :icon_thumright:, but don't be tempted to wear it, especially if you're ever in Virginia.

"Although no Civil War veterans are still living, the last verified Confederate veteran dying in 1951, Virginia Code section 18.2-176(b) remains in effect and makes it a Class 3 misdemeanor, punishable by a fine of not more than $500, to "wear any Southern Cross of Honor when not entitled to do so by the regulations under which such Crosses of Honor are given."

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here you go Doug, the buckle was found on the same lot. RR

Ron,
Yours is is great shape. Thank you for posting the photos. I went back again today and still can't locate the name plate. :dontknow:
-Doug-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find there! I once dug a medal from the Sons of Union Veterans up in Indiana. Was on a dig at an old mill site with a guy who got a GAR medal. At any rate, they make great display pieces.

Cheers,

Buck

Thanks Will. You lucky dog. I would have loved digging that Union Vet medal being a Hoosier and all. :thumbsup:
You only have 4 months of being a free man. Tic toc tic toc .......................................:occasion14:
-DUG-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finding the medal :icon_thumright:, but don't be tempted to wear it, especially if you're ever in Virginia.

Thanks AU. I thought Virginia was for lovers? Isn't that the state motto? :icon_scratch: I wouldn't wear it though anyways. Just hoping to find out who it may have belonged to. I'll be putting in in a nice display, because I doubt I'll ever dig another. :thumbsup:
-Doug-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions