Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Folks, I made my third trip to the house I’ve been detecting at the last few weeks.
This yard continues to give up some nice surprises, but is making me work for them by digging through a lot of trashy areas. Some of my recoveries were: 1941 Merc, 1925 Buff nickel & a no date Buff, 10 Wheats (41 total so far), a “STERLING” flower, silver piece of jewelry, early 1900’s (?) bracelet, flower sash buckle, etc.

My BEST FIND though turned out to be a “Southern Cross of Honor / Daughters of the Confederacy” medal. This is very neat historical Civil War piece that was given out to those that fought in the Civil War. Some were giving out during CW times, and some post-CW. Chances are mine is post-CW, but still a great find.
Please check this link out for more information and better pictures:

Southern Cross of Honor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am hoping to track it back to the original family member since the property I found it at has been in the same family (black) since the late 1800’s.

Enjoy the video:

Thanks for looking and any info or input would be greatly appreciated.
Happy hunting,
Modern Miner

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 249
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 229
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 275
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 258
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 230
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 176
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 189
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 192
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 223
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
Upvote 21

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG MM! That yard has turned out to be a dream spot! LOVE the medal and the silver brooch! Heck, I love it all. What a great hunt! WTG!
Nana

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG MM! That yard has turned out to be a dream spot! LOVE the medal and the silver brooch! Heck, I love it all. What a great hunt! WTG!
Nana

Thanks Nana. I just had a feeling this yard was going to be productive. It looked to be "orginal". Sometimes I get a good feelings, and other times it's just gas. :tongue3:
-Doug-

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the Southern Cross!! That is a great recovery. There are a lot of confederate graves down here marked with the Southern Cross.....

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the Southern Cross!! That is a great recovery. There are a lot of confederate graves down here marked with the Southern Cross.....
Thanks Rooster.I thought this was pretty interesting. I guess I better not wear it.

"Although no Civil War veterans are still living, the last verified Confederate veteran dying in 1951, Virginia Code section 18.2-176(b) remains in effect and makes it a Class 3 misdemeanor, punishable by a fine of not more than $500, to "wear any Southern Cross of Honor when not entitled to do so by the regulations under which such Crosses of Honor are given."

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
dang you been doing good there,
the Southern cross is a Awesome find and a very honorable medal. Only a Confederate veteran could wear the Southern Cross of Honor, and it could only be bestowed through the UDC. The first Cross ever bestowed was upon Mrs. Erwin’s husband, Captain Alexander S. Erwin, by the Athens (Ga.) Chapter on April 26, 1900. The first medals were not bestowed until the UDC had secured a copyright (February 20, 1900) for the medal design to prevent it form being copied. During the first 18 months of the Cross's availability, 12,500 were ordered and delivered. Over the years, because of the popularity of collecting Civil War relics, several companies have made reproductions of the UDC Southern Cross of Honor despite the UDC's copyright of the design. One the of big tells that a cross is authentic is that there should be a Marker's Mark on the lower front face below the word "Honor". It should be from either Crankshaw or Whitehead and Hoag.

Last edited:

3 of 6 GMG's

Oct 23, 2013
Detector(s) used
AP PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds love the cross. Looks like you found a great honey hole. Thank you for sharing and HH.

Matt

Thunderchild

Sep 24, 2011
N. Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75LTD/ AT Pro / Whites TDI SL / Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Doug. You always seem to have the knack for finding amazing relics!

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dang you been doing good there,
the Southern cross is a Awesome find and a very honorable medal. Only a Confederate veteran could wear the Southern Cross of Honor, and it could only be bestowed through the UDC. The first Cross ever bestowed was upon Mrs. Erwin’s husband, Captain Alexander S. Erwin, by the Athens (Ga.) Chapter on April 26, 1900. The first medals were not bestowed until the UDC had secured a copyright (February 20, 1900) for the medal design to prevent it form being copied. During the first 18 months of the Cross's availability, 12,500 were ordered and delivered. Over the years, because of the popularity of collecting Civil War relics, several companies have made reproductions of the UDC Southern Cross of Honor despite the UDC's copyright of the design. One the of big tells that a cross is authentic is that there should be a Marker's Mark on the lower front face below the word "Honor". It should be from either Crankshaw or Whitehead and Hoag.

Bill,
Thanks for that info. Here is a shot under my microscope. It looks like there is something below "HONOR" but I can't tell. It's too crusty. :dontknow: I'd hate to clean it and ruin it. What do you think? :icon_scratch:
-Doug-

Attachments

• IMG_0391.JPG
    IMG_0391.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 157
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds love the cross. Looks like you found a great honey hole. Thank you for sharing and HH.Matt
Thanks Matt. It's about time. I've hit some older yards in town but they didn't produce much. This one has been the best so far. -MM-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Doug. You always seem to have the knack for finding amazing relics!
Thanks Glenn. I don't want to hear about it. YOU were the one that found the Union camp. That was AWESOME!!!We'll hunt again soon.-Doug-

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That medal is a cool find MM. The first medal was presented in 1900. The one like you found goes for about $150 by relic dealers. Those with engraved names go a lot higher. Congrats on a nice variety of finds. HH, Q.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That medal is a cool find MM. The first medal was presented in 1900. The one like you found goes for about $150 by relic dealers. Those with engraved names go a lot higher. Congrats on a nice variety of finds. HH, Q.

Thanks Q. Should I engrave "Robert E. Lee" on it? :tongue3: I'm going to go back and see if I can find the top pin section that came with them originally. The area I dug it in was a trash or burn pit back in the days. Full of old stuff and chard ashes.
At least I finally found a spot to keep me busy until I can go CW relic hunting. :thumbsup:
-Doug-

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
whoa, what an awesome find. congrats!

L

l2hunt

wow, thanks for sharing, nice video, you've got one sweet honey hole there bro:notworthy:

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
whoa, what an awesome find. congrats!

Thanks JG. :thumbsup: I was just glad when I got it home and cleaned up it didn't say, "Be sure to drink your Ovaltine". :laughing7:
-Doug-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, thanks for sharing, nice video, you've got one sweet honey hole there bro:notworthy:

Thanks Man. I'm hoping there are a few 1800's silvers in the yard somewhere still. My oldest coin so far was a 1879 IH cent.
-MM-

Jpro

Jun 23, 2013
Nashville, Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Medal will display great along side your CW relics. Very cool.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread