pewter type ring with ancient type rune style writing

bucko

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2010
cape cod ma.
Detector(s) used
garrett sea hunter 2
:occasion14: I was detecting in a area in Ma,that a couple of books have been written about early explorers (Vikings)coming to this area up a river,the ring looks to be pewter and has old writing on it that look like runes,the ring measures about 2-1/2" across,i have tried to match up the writing with books but it tough to do,i also have brought this item to a metalurgestrist in N.H,he put in under a electron proton microscope and said the metals were very ancient because of the zinc content, he also gave me a chart with all the metals in it,he was not a history type person,it looks like it was casted in sand,anybodys opinion would be great,thanks

Attachments

• 027.JPG
    027.JPG
    376.8 KB · Views: 280
  • 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    298.4 KB · Views: 243
  • 032.JPG
    032.JPG
    643 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, firstly I can't see the Runes that you talk about? Can you do pictures that show them or photoshop them on?
The Sandinavians were exellent craftman & I study & admire their work. This to me doesn't have any of the hallmarks of there workmanship or something they would have traded - they loved beautiful & mystical things. Also although they sometimes used Lead to make brooches, I have never heard of them using pewter.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
doesn't look like it would be very comfortable to wear on a finger :icon_scratch:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
doesn't look like it would be very comfortable to wear on a finger :icon_scratch:

I think he thinks its an annular brooch. Rings of this period are generally twisted gold or silver wire types.

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Certainly an interesting find! Congrats! Gogol luck with the ID!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
are you near School St. in S. Dennis?... by Bass River?

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you are old enough to remember the paint and wallpaper store that burned down on School St. in the early 80's? Also had an antique/auction house in back, and an ice cream shop next to it...anyways there were Viking rock carvings in the empty lot behind it...that was a long time ago.. don't know if still there.

OP
OP
B

bucko

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2010
cape cod ma.
Detector(s) used
garrett sea hunter 2
are you talking west dennis or s.dennis school st in west dennis goes from 28 to west dennis beach,shool st in s.dennis is toward the north side??????

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
from 28 to the w dennis beach... it was on right, about half mile from 28. The ice cream shop was called Trips...where you could "get the big dip from Trip"

OP
OP
B

bucko

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2010
cape cod ma.
Detector(s) used
garrett sea hunter 2
yeah, ok dave thank you ill check it out,i don't remember trips,i grew up in yarmouth but live in d-port now ill ask a friend whrere trips used to be and try to gather some info on it,thats interesting, was it far from the road????? thanks ill look into it and check it out,its freezing cold here now!!!ill wait for a warmer day and check it out! thanks again dave!! BOB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread