cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Sovereign Elite, Mine Lab Etrac, Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello nleet22. Yes permission can be tricky but I get the OK about 50% of the time. I will usually start by commending the owner on the his or her property and if they are receptive I ask its age, history etc. Then I say something like "My hobby is MD'g would you mind if I look around and show you what I come up with". I have found it is better to not mention "digging" and I offer my business card to put them at ease.

If it turns out to be a good site I always ask to come back and find out if I just show up or call first. Many times the owner will give a phone number to call. I try not to overwhelm with too many later visits depending on their attitude.

Regarding spliting finds, I show them the better stuff and most times they don't want anything for themselves.

Good luck. C9

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We always offer to split our finds & show them everything, its their land, & without it & their permission I would have nothing. We have no trouble getting any & some come & ask us to do their land.(based on reputation)

Last edited:

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First of all,never say dig,lol. You can ask permission by researching the area and finding out the history of a certain area and telling the homeowner you have an interest in history and would like to see if their yard holds any artifacts. We search mainly for Civil War era artifacts and tell the homeowners we are looking for bullets.Sometimes if its okay with the parents we will give their children a bullet.I wouldn't necessarily offer to split any finds,just be sure and tell them you will come when its convenient for them and ask if they want to be there when you do your search.Most times people may come out for a little bit and follow you around but then grow tired of it.

newgoldfinder

Dec 19, 2013
Adams County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wait, give me a sec. We are supposed to ask for permission? Hmmm I thought all I hade to do was throw on some camouflage and freeze every time a car goes by. I mean its all legal unless I get caught right?:laughing7:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Asking at the right time helps a lot, don't ask on a Sunday, I have found this to be a real taboo. If you are asking permission on farm land, don't ask during harvest time or when they are ploughing. Offering to show and split the finds can work against as well as for you, I have known several people who showed there finds to the land owner, only to be told not to come back.

SS

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok there are a few things to take in to consideration , appearance and approach and where your at. If its yuppyville or little down home town. Dress for your surroundings . Yuppyville nice shirt fresh hair cut etc... now bottom line be quick to the point . A nice greeting like hi how ya doing today and my name is _____
_____ then straight to the point I was wondering if you might allow me to do some metal detecting . Its either sure go ahead or thats not exceptable or well alot of people have gone and no one has found anything , if its the last one then jump in real quick before they say anymore and say mind if I give it a try I will be respectfull and show you all my finds .. Ussually that does the trick and always ask if it is ok to come back some time and promise not to be a nuisance. So theres my take good luck !

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my line if I'm doorknocking: Hello, sorry to bother you. My name is Matthew and I enjoy metal detecting as a hobby and I noticed the field out front(because I hunt fields mainly) would you mind if I gave it a go? I would show you anything I find if you would like. And I try to use humor at all costs, such as if I find a large treasure chest I'll gladly split it with ya! I don't offer to split the normal coins or relics with them. It's not gonna work on everyone because everyone is different. Just be ready for a no and that's it. Thank them and be on to the next. Good luck!

OP
OP
nleet22

nleet22

Jan 5, 2014
lancaster pa
Detector(s) used
Garret ace 250, AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool ill try a few of those suggestions and see what works...for those that make cards..what info do u put on there...just a phone number? Am I trying to make it look like a business? Thanks for all the feed back...

OP
OP
nleet22

nleet22

Jan 5, 2014
lancaster pa
Detector(s) used
Garret ace 250, AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@ newgoldfinder.... I don't want to be out there trying to scooby doo it!! I'm not skinny enough to fit behind those tiny trees..lol

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I make sure my clothes aren't dirty or anything and I bring along some of my finds from nearby places. I tell the homeowner i'm interested in local history, tell them about the hobby, and show them the more interesting things i've found at older places in the community. usually I figure that if someone is living in an older home, they have some interest in the history of their property, might even have dug up some things while gardening or something. If they ask about how I dig, i show them my trowel and explain it or even demonstrate. Tell the homeowner that I don't sell my stuff on ebay, I love learning more about the history of the artifacts I find. Usually tell them that most of the stuff I find isn't worth much, but say that I'll show them everything I find at the end. If there's something they want to have or split, I tend to let them have it. Even had one homeowner who asked to keep everything I found since the house had been in his family for generations. In that case, I just had a lot of fun digging the stuff up. Sure, I wanted to keep some things, but oftentimes doing things like that pay off in the future. In return, it was great seeing the reaction on his face when I showed him things his great grandparents had lost. I have been lucky in that most people enjoy seeing a younger person like me being so interested in history, and let me keep everything.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I always start by introducing myself, and talk a bit about local history. I also carry two small riker cases with me ..one empty and one full. I use the full one to show the land owner the types of things I am interested in, and I use the empty one to put goodies in for the landowner, if they want them. I have found that those who aren't interested in local history are less apt to give permission to hunt.

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My business card front side copied the logo from my club membership and provide my name and phone number, after all I am not going to steal from them only reason they will call me is next time they loose a ring or their car keys ... and back side has part of my club motto ...

card.jpg

Attachments

• card.jpg
    card.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Asking at the right time helps a lot, don't ask on a Sunday, I have found this to be a real taboo. If you are asking permission on farm land, don't ask during harvest time or when they are ploughing. Offering to show and split the finds can work against as well as for you, I have known several people who showed there finds to the land owner, only to be told not to come back.

SS

That's an interesting method, I've never heard of that one. Thanks!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With our approach it makes no difference when we try, but if they look stressed, then just offer to come back when its suits them. We have about an 80% yes rate. About 30,000 acres, or more.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it largely depends on what type of site you're asking to hunt. If it's someone's yard your chances aren't all that great. But if you ask to hunt a cultivated field (that's not planted) then your odds are very good. My technique for getting into fields works well since I live in a historic area. Basically I tell the owner that my hobby is researching old homes in such-and-such county, and I came arcoss some interesting info about their property. That almost always gets their attention. Then I discuss and present to them copies of my research materials (old maps, land patent info, aerial photos, old topos, etc), and they're almost always very appreciative. Then that's when I pop the question. But I first tell them that I'm interested in determining the exact location and age of the original homesite on their property, and I can do that by both eyeballing and performing a detecting survey. Its hard for them to say no since I've already given them some cool documentation. So far this season I've tried to get permission this way about 10-12 times, and have been successful in all but one. And that was when talking to an out-of-towner over the phone. I never mention about splitting finds, but if they bring up that topic I'll agree to put together a display case with some of the items found. I've given away quite a few of these over the years, and the owners are always thrilled to get them. And since someone else mentioned this, I do not like handing out my detecting business card unless asked (which is rare). Several times over the years when I used to provide my contact info it came back to bite me. What happens is that you get permission to come back later to hunt a site, but after the owner talks to other family members who don't want you there I'd get a call revoking my permission. Also, it always helps if you know a friend or relative of the property owner, and have them put in the request for you. A property owner is much more likely to give permission though someone they know and trust than to a complete stranger. Anyway, don't know if any of these techniques has an application for you, but they're definitely ones that have proven successful for me many times. Good luck!

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill is 100 percent right. Talk to your friends, family and ask if they may know of someone who would let you metal detect and almost 9 times out of 10 they will say yes to their good friend. I have gotten several places to hunt because of this. And luckily the sites produced a lot and still do and I didn't even have to research it, I just started detecting and hit hot spots. Kinda hard not to in Virginia, though. lol

OP
OP
nleet22

nleet22

Jan 5, 2014
lancaster pa
Detector(s) used
Garret ace 250, AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome info..ill try them all in diff places got a lot of farms around here

Silverseeker

Nov 25, 2004
Indian Wells Valley, CA
I guess I'm lucky in my area. I've only asked a handful of people for permission and 100% of them said yes. Most even expressed an interest in the hobby and my finds. I'm gonna say go out on a limb and say show them your enthusiasm.... that is catchy. The only time I've been told no is when I didn't ask for permission. (hunting empty lots that I thought nobody cares about.)

I actually avoid city areas because something about all the neighborhood dogs barking at me while everyone stares out the windows at me bothers me. Anyways, good luck however you choose to hunt and I look forward to seeing your finds.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would go with all of the above advice! Most people around here I have known for years ,so asking usually isn't a problem.But I have a buddy that lives not to far away. I have takin him to some spots because he's my friend and all, but as you all know "ya cant give away all your secrets".Anyway,he has been shot down with the word "no' so much,he doesn't even ask anymore!He told me if he doesn't ask, at least he can play dumb if caught.Can't say I agree,but I don't judge him.His decision, his consequence's!.Dont get me wrong,I am not condoning tresspassing,"always ask". But from what I understand premission, is really hard to get these days.Good luck!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread