First GOLD with ICE for 2014 and ended a 9 month drought!

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whew! It took a long time but I got my first gold ring for 2014 and ended a 9 month gold drought! (Ok, a platinum last Aug but no gold since April!) Planned on meeting up with Max to check out his new scoop with "rock fangs" on it and saw that the Guru was already in the lane and working a low spot. Said my hellos and moved down a bit to another low just down the beach and on my second target I hit the ring! I almost didn't dig this one as the sound was so faint and was getting "stepped on" by some nearby iron that was nulling out. I decided to give it a shot since it was the start of the hunt and I'm sure glad I did! I'm willing to bet if I had run over that same sound later in the hunt, I might have passed it up after digging all the other crap you see here too! Really made me slow down a bit too to pay a bit more attention to what other tgts were hiding amongst the iron and crap on this beach! Lots of aluminum today along with some cool sea glass and some other items. 2 wheat pennies and a round item I think may be an aluminum token but need to clean it up a bit.

Max showed up later and got into a good spot in the rocks and was working his new scoop! Don't have any pictures of it but you can find it on his youtube page. (greavediggermax)

Ring is marked 14k with a large wide "M" halmark. Weight is 1.7 grams and the two diamonds look to be real (need to get a tester) and not sure about the purple stone. Amethyst maybe? Trip to the jewelers this week to confirm. I think if it fits the wife, she may call "dibs" on it!
Thanks for looking and here are the pictures:
20140127_141904.jpg 20140127_141911.jpg 20140127_141918.jpg 20140127_141926.jpg 20140127_141936.jpg 27 Jan 2014 14K ring with ice.jpg 20140127_142307.jpg 20140127_142322.jpg 20140127_145630.jpg

Upvote 8

morris-code

Jan 18, 2014
VH, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tesoro Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
let me be the first to congratulate you - GREAT find!
Being new, I haven't found any rings yet but my wife and daughter have already called 'dibs' on them. lol

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Doc that is a Beautiful 14k buddy, Congrads and just the beginning!! Design is Older? Maybe the 50's?

OCC got a yellow today Also....You guys are killing me!!

OP
OP
DocBeav

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doc that is a Beautiful 14k buddy, Congrads and just the beginning!! Design is Older? Maybe the 50's?

OCC got a yellow today Also....You guys are killing me!!

LOL You will get your soon too man! You always do! Not sure on "style" or age, sounds like a Breezie question to me!

jcobb

May 23, 2008
Ft. Worth Tejas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030...AT Pro & Garrett Pro Pointer
Bounty Hunter 505 (Loaner)
Congrats on the GOLD!!! bet she was pretty coming out of the ground

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well done.... now that is a slumpbuster!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! Beautiful gold and amethyst ring! Congrats!

OP
OP
DocBeav

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the nice comments everyone! I did get a better look at the makers mark inside, it looks like a large, wide "M" with a very small "G" inside of it, just above where the point in the "M" drops down. Anyone recognize this one or know where I can find the info? Tons of websites on silver makers marks and hallmarks but can't find much on gold marks (I'm sure there are thousands). Just trying to get an idea of it's history and poss value (guess the local jeweler can help with the latter...)
Here is a better picture:

20140128_093710.jpg

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one beautiful ring Doc. Well done! :occasion14:
-MM-

lil_eric30

Aug 14, 2013
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Great ring! Still waiting here in Minnesota to find my first of anything. Lol. 22 below zero today. Yeah its cold! Happy hunting all.

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Doc, you rang? :)

First of all, let me say that is a beautiful ring and CONGRATULATIONS on finding it. I've searched through several of my gold jewelry maker's marks sources, but was unable to find yours. By law, the U.S. does not require a jeweler to register his/her maker's marks, although most do register their mark with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Since there are tens of thousands of maker's marks and registry is not required, there is not one book that has these marks listed. There are more sources for antique marks than jewelry that was made in the last 30 or 40 years. You might want to search the US Patent & Trademark Office to see if you can find the makers. Be advised this can be a looooong process, which could result without the information.

Personally, I would take it to a jewelry store that has a certified gemologist and have the stone examined and if you're thinking about selling it, I would have it appraised. The last appraisal I had done on a found ring cost me $35.00, which was certainly worth it. Buyers want to see the $$$ value written down by an official. In my opinion, the 'value' and 'beauty' is more important that knowing the person who made it.

Great find :thumbsup:
Breezie

OP
OP
DocBeav

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Doc, you rang? :)

First of all, let me say that is a beautiful ring and CONGRATULATIONS on finding it. I've searched through several of my gold jewelry maker's marks sources, but was unable to find yours. By law, the U.S. does not require a jeweler to register his/her maker's marks, although most do register their mark with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Since there are tens of thousands of maker's marks and registry is not required, there is not one book that has these marks listed. There are more sources for antique marks than jewelry that was made in the last 30 or 40 years. You might want to search the US Patent & Trademark Office to see if you can find the makers. Be advised this can be a looooong process, which could result without the information.

Personally, I would take it to a jewelry store that has a certified gemologist and have the stone examined and if you're thinking about selling it, I would have it appraised. The last appraisal I had done on a found ring cost me $35.00, which was certainly worth it. Buyers want to see the $$$ value written down by an official. In my opinion, the 'value' and 'beauty' is more important that knowing the person who made it.

Great find :thumbsup:
Breezie

Thanks again as always Breezie!

Took it to the jeweler's today. Diamonds are real and the center stone is Tanzenite. I have a couple rings now I need to get appraised. Will have to wait till next Monday when their independent appraiser is there.

mermiss

Greenie
Jan 23, 2008
We have 3 feet of snow on the ground here in Michigan. The only metal detecting right now is looking for my shovel in the morning. Nice find!!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again as always Breezie!

Took it to the jeweler's today. Diamonds are real and the center stone is Tanzenite. I have a couple rings now I need to get appraised. Will have to wait till next Monday when their independent appraiser is there.

I was just about to post that it looked like a tanzanite, but looks like you already figured that out. great find. congrats!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my guess is that it retails for about $299

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread