found old nickel-Need Identified

fantum

Feb 23, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
ace 250
:) Today we found a older nickel,it as an indian head and on the other side,it has a buffalo.We can't read the date,but can read some of the writing.
I cant find how to clean it,can someone repost the cleaning part.
Does anyone know what span of years this nickel could be,and its' worth?
can someone respond soon,we are in a parking lot trying to find out.....Waiting to go out digging again for the day... :)
Thanks
Will add a pic. later,we dont have a camera or scanner on us.

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
DO NOT CLEAN IT until you can get the date off it!

Buffalo Nickels
(Rare dates: 1913-S, 1916 Doubled Date, 1937-D 3-Leg Buffalo; Scarce dates: 1913-1921, 1924-D, 1924-S, 1925-D, 1925-S, 1926-D, 1926-S, 1931-S)

Attachments

• nickel.JPG
    nickel.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 960
OP
OP
fantum

fantum

Feb 23, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Thanks for getting back to us so fast.We havent cleaned it yet,except with cold water.We cant make out the date on it though.Its stained very brown.how do you get the date?

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
fantum said:
Thanks for getting back to us so fast.We havent cleaned it yet,except with cold water.We cant make out the date on it though.Its stained very brown.how do you get the date?

I hope someone smarter about coins than I helps you... but the dates on these buffalo nickels wears away badly, if it's gone, it's gone... but I would have someone look at it with a eye piece and see it's it's there. 

Cool find, prolly worth .5 cents.   ;)

Anyone else want to help them out?

Ops, forgot the dates made... here's some info to research... http://www.coinresource.com/guide/photograde/pg_05cBuffaloNickel.htm

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good find there. I found my 4th buffalo nickel this year today and it's the first one I could read the date on. It's a 1928 and worn very badly

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
old trick - put paper over it rub softly with pencil - look very carefully

sometimes the faint years can be read that way the very faint rise ( it maybe too small to easily see) but where the numbers were will cause at date to show ---old cop trick --things are written on a note pad ---the the written on page is torn off and taken by the crook ---cops think the pad was used but by who and what did they write?---sometimes the "imprint" of the writing presses down on the sheet below the one being written on so they use this trick--if it works for down imprint / what not try raised?

kevo

Mar 2, 2007
Louisville, Kentucky
everybody is posting them so why not....I found two, 1929 and 1935. The 1935 is easily read but the nickel is brown, the 1929 is cleaner but harder to read...really doesn't make much sense huh.

Attachments

• buff.jpg
    buff.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 712
  • buff2.jpg
    buff2.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 710
  • buff3.jpg
    buff3.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 701
  • buff4.jpg
    buff4.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 697
T

TreasureTales

fantum, are you in the United States? If so, you might consider buying a book known as "The Red Book" (because of its red cover), but which is actually called A Guide Book of United States Coins - 2007, published by Whitman's. It's a bit pricey, but could pay for itself if you use it a lot. Most coinshooters own at least one copy of it. It is updated each year as the new coins are minted and as new error coins are discovered.

Congrats on the buffalo nickel, a nice piece of coinage.

OP
OP
fantum

fantum

Feb 23, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Thankyou all for your responses- they were very helpful. Still can't see the date on it but will take it to pro cleaner if not too much money. The date is probably worn off like I hear so many others are. Tried to take pix but my camera must be too cheap. The pix too fuzzy- but you know what they look like.... Thanks again!

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fantum said:
Thankyou all for your responses- they were very helpful. Still can't see the date on it but will take it to pro cleaner if not too much money. The date is probably worn off like I hear so many others are. Tried to take pix but my camera must be too cheap. The pix too fuzzy- but you know what they look like.... Thanks again!

I really doubt it will be worth the money to actually have someone clean it.

You could always try soaking it in ketchup for a few hours.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
bscofield6 said:
fantum said:

I really doubt it will be worth the money to actually have someone clean it.

You could always try soaking it in ketchup for a few hours.

Agreed...

or maybe that wonderful stuff nic-a-date.

Which is cheaper... katsup or catsup or katchup or catchup? :-\

OP
OP
fantum

fantum

Feb 23, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
ace 250
I have ketchup- is there a differance? ---are appraisals free??? (they had one of I guess those rare ones on ebay going for 6000- I keep hoping.....)

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fantum said:
I have ketchup- is there a differance? ---are appraisals free??? (they had one of I guess those rare ones on ebay going for 6000- I keep hoping.....)

I've just stuck some of my rusty red nickels into ketchup over night in the past and done fairly well with them coming out cleaner than they went in, but it won't make it look like it did before it was dropped on the ground. Sadly, nothing ever will probably.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread